Old 01 November 2007, 08:44   #1

Town: Guernsey
Boat name: Genie
Make: Lema
Length: 6m +
Engine: inboard petrol 225hp
Anti-fouling?

Hi folks
Went to have a look at a nice Brig 645 yesterday and the very helpful chap selling it asked where I would be keeping it (if we can do a suitable deal) and I replied in my marina berth where my current fisher/cruiser is kept.
Talk got around to usage and I asked if it was anti-fouled to which I was told you don't really anti-foul RIBS.
Is this right? I really can't see why a good hard anti-foul like International couldn't be used on the hull (obviously not on the hypalon tubes).
What is the consensus of opinion on this?
Have other RIBsters anti-fouled theirs?
I intend to keep her berthed year 'round for easy use and then lifted out once a year for a service/anti-foul/hull check.
Do I need to keep her out of the water on a trailer (as suggested) as that seems a bit excessive - I don't want to pamper it, I want to be able to use it!
Advice appreciated
Cheers
Rob
Old 01 November 2007, 09:04   #2

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
Yes. Mine spends lots of time in the water and I know from yacht racing experience how performance is dulled VERY quickly and pressure washing or trying to wipe it clean in the water (diver or similar) just doesn't do the job.

I spent a lot of time researching the options with the hardboaters and came to the conclusion that Blakes Hard Racing was the stuff. I primed and painted, then wet and dried absolutely smooth. The loss of performance was non-existent (proven by speed and fuel consumption remaining EXACTLY the same, and over time it could be argued that it improved as I wasn't carrying any growth at all around with me! The boat came out in September after 3 months in the water and there was nothing on it at all! Excellent product that I would thoroughly recommend.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:05   #3

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
I replied in my marina berth where my current fisher/cruiser is kept. Talk got around to usage and I asked if it was anti-fouled to which I was told you don't really anti-foul RIBS.
Well as you have probably guessed he was talking bollicks. Lots of Ribs live on trailers so yes they don't need antifouling. For those that do live on the water nothing wrong with a nice coat of hard antifoul paint. The alternative is endless trips down to the boat just to scrub it off. Some bright spark left our dive club rib in Portsmouth harbour for 6 weeks one summer. I and several other members had to spend a weekend cleaning the crap off.

I know Carly doesn't antifoul his little speed boat incase he looses 1/10th of a knot off the top end so spends his spare time polishing it instead. Also Nautibouy bought a floating dock the size of an aircraft carrier to park his rib on top, out of the water, but for those that just want to step on board, turn the key and go then a nice coat of International hard antifoul will keep the wee beasties away afterall all the other boats in your marina will be antifouled, why not a rib.

Be wary of "snake oil" products claiming they will replace antifoul paint btw, some horrible photos on here showing complete failure.

Pete
Old 01 November 2007, 09:06   #4

Town: Bursledon
Boat name: Mustard
Make: Ribeye 785
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yamaha 200/Merc 6
MMSI: 235068693
I am just paying over a grand to have old antifouling removed from the hull of my rib. It has gone yellow and is scuffed with black trailer roller marks.

It has to be sand blasted off, then the hull has to be polished back.

My thoughts: Try to avoid it at all costs, but I don't keep my boat afloat.

I had a Dell Quay Dory for years. It sat on a mooring in Norfolk in a drying harbour. I pressure washed the hull mid season and it was fine.
Old 01 November 2007, 09:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABS View Post
My thoughts: Try to avoid it at all costs, but I don't keep my boat afloat.
But he is planning to keep it afloat in a marina.

Pete
Old 01 November 2007, 09:52   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Now give me back my dog!

: Pete JABS is a consultant!, I am sure you remember the old joke

Let's hope Genie's consultation fee ain't too high

You can happily antifoull your boat the only problem is that it's an on going process. The other alternative is to pull it every 6 weeks or so and give it a clean.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 November 2007, 10:03   #7

Town: Cowes
Engine: 225 Opti
I switched from intersped (after getting fed up with barnacles, weed, slime etc) to Blakes Hard Racing for this season. Launched in June and still in the water now - nothing has grown (even the slime is very minimal). This is good stuff, the difference 'tween this and the Intersped is incredible - same boat, same pontoon and last year covered in crap, this year nothing!
Old 01 November 2007, 10:11   #8

Town: Lee on the Solent
Boat name: Saintlee
Make: Leeway
Engine: Evinrude DI 115
The loss of performance in six weeks will be noticeable though! We are currently running a yacht campaign that will culminate in an international event next June/July and until then we will not anti-foul. The boat is also required for demo sails (by the UK agent) and other commitments during the week so it is not dry-sailed but IS lifted weekly so that we can wipe it's bottom! I am stunned by the barnacle growth and slime that:-

a. Establishes itself within a week (alright the b's are miniscule but it doesn't take long!

b. The pressure washer doesn't move! Bear in mind that this is an industrial strength pressure washer in a marina!!

This whole "anti-fouling is not for ribs" issue is just b*****ks for anyone that leaves their boat in the water for any length of time over a couple of weeks. The cost of fuel/loss of performance will soon outweigh the effort required to coat the boat and so what if it needs rubbing back and refreshing every year? Even if you paid someone to do it you'd still save more than you would lose in fuel costs from running around in a s**t covered boat!!!

As for paying someone a grand to take it off a 6m rib, I'm sure there's several of us on here who'd have done it for £500!!!!
Old 01 November 2007, 11:08   #9

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
My boat has lived in the water for 9 months now and its not antifouled. Even in the middle of summer the growth wasn't that bad, that said we were using the boat on a daily basis which makes a difference. I've scubbed it about 4 times now to keep it clean, I'm hoping it won't need doing again for a while now the water is getting colder. I did consider antifouling it but didn't like the idea of covering the shiny hull in paint in case I wanted to sell it at some point to someone who kept it on a trailer. It is a good idea though - I may well end up antifouling it at some point.
Old 01 November 2007, 11:21   #10

Town: Sussex
Make: RIBTEC 655
Engine: Yam 150
If the customer requires it we Anti-Foul our ribs, before the customer takes delivery, we use two coats of Blakes Racing Hard White, we find this doesnt perfect perfomance too much and looks as good as Anti-Foul can.
Old 01 November 2007, 11:48   #11

Town: Cowes, Isle of Wight
Boat name: TiLT 2
Make: Avon Adventure 620
Engine: Optimax 135
MMSI: 235032203
My advice would be to start off without antifouling and see how quickly the weed grows. When there is a bit on there, lift it out and jet it off.

See how you get on doing it this way. It may be that the expense and hassle makes up your mind and you decide to go for antifouling. I *was* going to antifoul but I am glad I didn't. Jetting off once a month (I must own up and say the marina staff do it) keeps the weed down.

I think it a shame if you do have to antifoul but it might be the best solution if the weed is proving a big hassle.
Old 01 November 2007, 12:30   #12

Boat name: Monkey Nutz
Make: Cougar R8 Sport
Engine: 350Sci Verado
My Rib is in the QE2 marina in Guernsey and if it is staying in for most of the year antifouling is essential. Thw water in the marina is warm and full of life. Also depending on which way your mooring is facing will determine how much growth you get. Spend a bit of time walking the pontoons looking at differentribs/boats, you will see the difference between antifouled and not antifouled.
Tony
Old 01 November 2007, 18:11   #13

Many thanks everyone
As suspected, I may have been fed some perhaps slightly 'askewed' info there, as the chap concerned hasn'r been over here very long and is used to colder waters (where perhaps the weed growth is less significant).
I shall anti-foul and I do like the sound of the hard white, which would be ideal and less obvious.
My current boat is antifouled with international and not a sign of growth - aprt from the stern drive which has bloomed into a venerable little underwater amazon. Still, nothing a good blast at 30 knots won't sort out!
Good point on the direction facing Tony, I'll have a good look at that next time I'm down on my berth (mine is south facing which may account for the weed on the stern).
Thanks for all your advice, it is appreciated!
ATB
Rob
Old 01 November 2007, 18:26   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genie View Post
My current boat is antifouled with international and not a sign of growth - aprt from the stern drive which has bloomed into a venerable little underwater amazon.
I spoke to the techy chap at International Paints. He suggested:

1. Key up the bottom with 180 grade sandpaper;
2. Apply 2x coats of Gelshield 200;
3. Apply 2 x coats of Trilux (white).
4. Burnish, if required.
Old 02 November 2007, 08:33   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Moore View Post
I spoke to the techy chap at International Paints. He suggested:
1. Key up the bottom with 180 grade sandpaper;
2. Apply 2x coats of Gelshield 200;
3. Apply 2 x coats of Trilux (white).
4. Burnish, if required.
But Trilux is crap, as in completely hopeless as its only a medium strength. Unfortunately its one of the few antifoulings that can be applied to Aluminium. Two years ago I painted the stern drive with it only to have weeds growing within 8 weeks. Lifted the boat out and International came and visited. There solution was to give me another 3 litres of the stuff in compensation, hmm thanks.

Internationals Ultra or as previously mentioned Blakes Hard Racing are known good antifouls although I am currently using VC Offshore with excellent results, just wish there was something stronger for stern drives.

Cue Codders and his experimental and secret Vindaloo powder for adding to B&Q emulsion paint

Pete
Old 02 November 2007, 17:57   #16

Thanks Andy/Pete
I'll wait until it's craned out to have a darn good go at it. I have had a few suggestions from Lanolin (but more suitable to a more leisurely turn of prop methinks) to CopperCoat.
Not sure but I may well try some hard compound antifoul like Blakes next year (but make sure I don't paint over the anodes!).
Cheers for the helpful advice guys.
PS - Anyone from RIBnet forum in Guernsey, there are RIBNet stickers available at Micks Fishing free without the need for any purchase (natch).
ATB
Rob
Old 02 November 2007, 18:03   #17

Just don't rush into antifouling her would be my advice. See how fast the weed grows.
Old 02 November 2007, 21:10   #18

I use VC and Blaes hard racing both good get the primer cvoat right and you are good for the year. We used VC tar as our primer coat ( I think)

Pete Aluminininimum antifoul = Mille drive. I'l have alook and tell you who makes it.
Old 02 November 2007, 21:12   #19

Blakes
Old 03 November 2007, 09:19   #20

Make: extreme 24
Length: 7m +
Engine: merc 6.2 320hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Well as you have probably guessed he was talking bollicks. Lots of Ribs live on trailers so yes they don't need antifouling. For those that do live on the water nothing wrong with a nice coat of hard antifoul paint. The alternative is endless trips down to the boat just to scrub it off. Some bright spark left our dive club rib in Portsmouth harbour for 6 weeks one summer. I and several other members had to spend a weekend cleaning the crap off.

I know Carly doesn't antifoul his little speed boat incase he looses 1/10th of a knot off the top end so spends his spare time polishing it instead. Also Nautibouy bought a floating dock the size of an aircraft carrier to park his rib on top, out of the water, but for those that just want to step on board, turn the key and go then a nice coat of International hard antifoul will keep the wee beasties away afterall all the other boats in your marina will be antifouled, why not a rib.

Be wary of "snake oil" products claiming they will replace antifoul paint btw, some horrible photos on here showing complete failure.

Pete
peter,peter,peter,whats the word im looking for ,ah i know,happy slaping,you cheeky bugger. anyway have mine lifted at the moment by sealift in cowes,every 6 wks or so(less this time of year) hull is like new after a pressure wash and scrub,nice bloke, and after you have been a few times will start doing some deals. thats the plan at the moment ,the ideal situation would be for naughty boyo to sell me one of his plastic lego sets at friend prices