Old 19 July 2015, 15:55   #1

Town: Porthcawl
Length: 6m +
advice on Humbers

Hi All looking at ribs no bigger than 6m as I am restricted What are peoples thoughts on the humber destroyer? have seen one with 90 on the back not sure it is meaty enough? I have heard mixed reviews have seen two one 2008 with a 140 on the back at 12.995 ono and another 2008 with the 90 the latter looks slightly cleaner but is more expensive at 13995 I have a budget of around 11k

There is also the possibility of a ribtec with a yam 100 would this be a better option than the humbers?

cheers

Paul

Old 20 July 2015, 15:34   #2

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi there
Can't comment on the destroyer, but I have an ocean pro 6.3 and of the several ribs I've owned it rates second only to an old osprey XR18 that I should never have sold!

You don't mention what manufacturer the 90hp or 140hp are?

Around 2008 Humber sent a lot of boats out with Suzuki's on, mine being one of them.
If the 140 is indeed a DF140 then I would say It's popular for good reason. It's a good motor - reliable, economic, and decent power to weight ratio.

From listening to others and reading this forum I'd say Ribtec are also good boats and yam motors also have a good reputation though I've never owned either.

If you put up more details of the boats you're looking at you'll probably get more replies.
Boat and motor manufacturer, type, year, hours, etc

Old 20 July 2015, 16:07   #3

advice on Humbers

Hi I stand corrected it comes with a 150 mercury optimax the other is a 90 mercury optimax both 2 strokes direct oil injected the 150 has 171 hours and the 90hp 40 hrs on the clock both 2008 humber destroyers the ribtec is a 585 with a Yamaha f100
Old 20 July 2015, 17:15   #4

Town: Lancashire
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
What will you be using the boat for?
I use mine for general cruising, occasionally dragging kids on toys behind and a bit of fishing.
Within reason we don't let a bit of chop stop us from going out so we need a reasonably powerful dry, safe boat. All my views are based around what I use my boat for. Your requirements may be different.
I've owned a Mercury optimax but only for 1 year - not long enough to comment on reliability but I done my research prior to purchase and the general consensus was that it's a good motor.

I'm not sure how the fuel economy compares between the F100 and the optimax?

A 150 attached to a destroyer less than 6m long is going to be a nice bit of kit. 170 hours isn't a lot so next it comes down to general condition and service history.

The 90 will be ok if the boat it's attached to is nearer 5m but if the lay up is anything like the ocean pro then the Humbers aren't exactly lightweight so if it's any bigger than 5.3m I'd give it a miss.

Ribtec 585 with yam 100 sounds good but again it'll come down to condition and whether it's been looked after.

If all 3 boats are local I'd have a day out and view all 3. Whittle them down based on condition then test drive what's left

Don't rush in though - 11k can get you a good set up if you're patient!
Old 21 July 2015, 07:23   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Destroyer is the same as the OP without chines. Good hull though, cuts the chop with a deep v and high sheer bow keeps you dry.

150opti is spot on for that. It'll have instant power from the 2.5L V6 2Stroke and it'll do 1L per mile. We've a 175opti on a 6.3 and it gets 54mph. You'll get similar. Optus are tried and tested kit and the hours are low. Only downside is the V6 growl... if your a girl! But it's louder compared to 4 strokes, but the throttle response is awesome. Horses for courses.

Ribcraft 585 is nice but with a 100, it'll be working hard unless you're just pottering about. Not much acceleration in the rough or if fully loaded.
Old 22 July 2015, 13:24   #6

Looks like the Humber with the 150 then thanks for your advice all... He's asking 12.5k is that about right for this set up has pilot seat with 2x doubles behind it on either side

Thanks again
Old 22 July 2015, 13:31   #7

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
we really need a sticky for this type of thread.

There are a lot of factors at play here as to whether it is good value or not.

Age, hull/tube condition, engine hours, trailer condition, nav gear on it, A frame also adds some dosh, does it have a cover, number of seats and what they are, colour even! etc.

you have certainly got some of the info but it isn't really enough to comment with any degree of certainty.

without pics/knowing more, the price sounds in the ballpark for that rig yes.

note, you don't mention the size. if it is the 5.8 then that engine is too large and insurance may be an issue.

cheers
Old 22 July 2015, 13:41   #8

The humbers are 6m destroyer
Comes with Fish Finder With Sonar and Navigation Plotter vhf radio
Two Anchors + Chain and Rope

Switched Bilge Pump

Switched Nav Lights

Rear Arch A - Frame With Radar Reflector

GPS Antenna Fitted

2008 hull and engine it has been dry stacked no cover though

Cheers all
Old 22 July 2015, 13:46   #9

Town: Glasgow
Make: Ribcraft 6.8
Engine: Suzuki df200
You don't mention a trailer, you will need to add upto 2k for something there. dry stacked boats often don't come with a trailer so make sure the one it is sitting on, if applicable, is actually part of the deal.

my own was stacked, didn't come with a trailer and was nearly 3k for a new un.

on the face of it, sounds a decent rig though and will serve you well

cheers
Old 22 July 2015, 13:50   #10

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Engine: Evinrude
Depends on the year it was built the 5.8 used to be rated for 150, check the builders plate. I have seen two 5.8s rated and both fitted with 150s. One had a Johnson carbed 150 and the other an Evinrude ficht 150. Performance was awesome. Checked the website and it looks like the 5.8 has been down rated to 130.