Old 19 July 2015, 19:55   #1

Town: Porthcawl
Length: 6m +
advice on Humbers

Hi All looking at ribs no bigger than 6m as I am restricted What are peoples thoughts on the humber destroyer? have seen one with 90 on the back not sure it is meaty enough? I have heard mixed reviews have seen two one 2008 with a 140 on the back at £12.995 ono and another 2008 with the 90 the latter looks slightly cleaner but is more expensive at £13995 I have a budget of around 11k

There is also the possibility of a ribtec with a yam 100 would this be a better option than the humbers?

cheers

Paul
Old 20 July 2015, 19:34   #2

Town: Lancashire
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Hi there
Can't comment on the destroyer, but I have an ocean pro 6.3 and of the several ribs I've owned it rates second only to an old osprey XR18 that I should never have sold!

You don't mention what manufacturer the 90hp or 140hp are?

Around 2008 Humber sent a lot of boats out with Suzuki's on, mine being one of them.
If the 140 is indeed a DF140 then I would say It's popular for good reason. It's a good motor - reliable, economic, and decent power to weight ratio.

From listening to others and reading this forum I'd say Ribtec are also good boats and yam motors also have a good reputation though I've never owned either.

If you put up more details of the boats you're looking at you'll probably get more replies.
Boat and motor manufacturer, type, year, hours, etc
Old 20 July 2015, 20:07   #3

advice on Humbers

Hi I stand corrected it comes with a 150 mercury optimax the other is a 90 mercury optimax both 2 strokes direct oil injected the 150 has 171 hours and the 90hp 40 hrs on the clock both 2008 humber destroyers the ribtec is a 585 with a Yamaha f100
Old 20 July 2015, 21:15   #4

Town: Lancashire
Engine: Suzuki 140
What will you be using the boat for?
I use mine for general cruising, occasionally dragging kids on toys behind and a bit of fishing.
Within reason we don't let a bit of chop stop us from going out so we need a reasonably powerful dry, safe boat. All my views are based around what I use my boat for. Your requirements may be different.
I've owned a Mercury optimax but only for 1 year - not long enough to comment on reliability but I done my research prior to purchase and the general consensus was that it's a good motor.

I'm not sure how the fuel economy compares between the F100 and the optimax?

A 150 attached to a destroyer less than 6m long is going to be a nice bit of kit. 170 hours isn't a lot so next it comes down to general condition and service history.

The 90 will be ok if the boat it's attached to is nearer 5m but if the lay up is anything like the ocean pro then the Humbers aren't exactly lightweight so if it's any bigger than 5.3m I'd give it a miss.

Ribtec 585 with yam 100 sounds good but again it'll come down to condition and whether it's been looked after.

If all 3 boats are local I'd have a day out and view all 3. Whittle them down based on condition then test drive what's left

Don't rush in though - 11k can get you a good set up if you're patient!
Old 21 July 2015, 11:23   #5

Town: N Wales Chester
Boat name: Mr Smith
Destroyer is the same as the OP without chines. Good hull though, cuts the chop with a deep v and high sheer bow keeps you dry.

150opti is spot on for that. It'll have instant power from the 2.5L V6 2Stroke and it'll do 1L per mile. We've a 175opti on a 6.3 and it gets 54mph. You'll get similar. Optus are tried and tested kit and the hours are low. Only downside is the V6 growl... if your a girl! But it's louder compared to 4 strokes, but the throttle response is awesome. Horses for courses.

Ribcraft 585 is nice but with a 100, it'll be working hard unless you're just pottering about. Not much acceleration in the rough or if fully loaded.
Old 22 July 2015, 17:24   #6

Looks like the Humber with the 150 then thanks for your advice all... He's asking 12.5k is that about right for this set up has pilot seat with 2x doubles behind it on either side

Thanks again
Old 22 July 2015, 17:31   #7

we really need a sticky for this type of thread.

There are a lot of factors at play here as to whether it is good value or not.

Age, hull/tube condition, engine hours, trailer condition, nav gear on it, A frame also adds some dosh, does it have a cover, number of seats and what they are, colour even! etc.

you have certainly got some of the info but it isn't really enough to comment with any degree of certainty.

without pics/knowing more, the price sounds in the ballpark for that rig yes.

note, you don't mention the size. if it is the 5.8 then that engine is too large and insurance may be an issue.

cheers
Old 22 July 2015, 17:41   #8

The humbers are 6m destroyer
Comes with Fish Finder With Sonar and Navigation Plotter vhf radio
Two Anchors + Chain and Rope

Switched Bilge Pump

Switched Nav Lights

Rear Arch A - Frame With Radar Reflector

GPS Antenna Fitted

2008 hull and engine it has been dry stacked no cover though

Cheers all
Old 22 July 2015, 17:46   #9

You don't mention a trailer, you will need to add upto 2k for something there. dry stacked boats often don't come with a trailer so make sure the one it is sitting on, if applicable, is actually part of the deal.

my own was stacked, didn't come with a trailer and was nearly 3k for a new un.

on the face of it, sounds a decent rig though and will serve you well

cheers
Old 22 July 2015, 17:50   #10

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Engine: Evinrude
Depends on the year it was built the 5.8 used to be rated for 150, check the builders plate. I have seen two 5.8s rated and both fitted with 150s. One had a Johnson carbed 150 and the other an Evinrude ficht 150. Performance was awesome. Checked the website and it looks like the 5.8 has been down rated to 130.
Old 22 July 2015, 17:59   #11

Thanks all it comes with trailer which is flush mounted looks like a winner will have to buy a cover for it though

Cheers again for your replies

Paul
Old 22 July 2015, 18:06   #12

a cover isn't a dealbreaker for me.

a ducksback cover from ebay will do the job for mucho cheapness.

http://www.ducksback.co.uk/products.php?cat=24

i keep meaning to ask them if they know if it will fit my rib, it looks iffy based on the online sizes for my boat unfortunately.

cheers
Old 22 July 2015, 20:04   #13

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Engine: Evinrude
The Ducksback outboard covers are very good
Old 22 July 2015, 21:41   #14

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
My Seasafe (Evolved into the O-pro) was built in 1984, has never had a cover all through it's industrial, sailing club rescue, or private owner days.

Granted it probably needs a re- toob now, but not bad for a 31YO boat....

So don't stress about covers!
Old 22 July 2015, 22:53   #15

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post
My Seasafe (Evolved into the O-pro) was built in 1984, has never had a cover all through it's industrial, sailing club rescue, or private owner days.

Nicely put. :thumbup:
Old 23 July 2015, 05:41   #16

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9D280 View Post

Those early Boats Humber built thier reputation on,and always performed and held up well.I spent many hours and many miles/ diving from a Quite a few in those days...
I must say from what I've seen... I'm not sure the Newer stuff is of quite the same build quality.

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2015, 06:22   #17

Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Yamaha
I agree, I now have a late 80's Attaque, the early ones are much better built. I went from a brand new Ocean Pro 6.3 I bought in 2003/4 back to an older Attaque.

The hulls themselves are still good (apart from one we had where the transom split after a month) however Humber cannot screw anything on straight and spec the cheapest fittings and fixtures throughout. I used to fit them out for an outboard dealer and we would spend days rectifying Humbers shoddy fitout. The last one I did two years ago was a complete setup sea trialled from Humber it did at least have a much improved A Frame which kind of fitted but it took three full days rectifying the boat until we felt we could pass it onto the customer. The list of Humber cockups that I've had to fix in the past is shocking

It is a shame because the actual hulls are on the whole are great, as are the tubes, it is the finishing which lets them down,
Perhaps that is why the Seasafe hulls were sent to Delta for fit out?!
Old 23 July 2015, 07:51   #18

Boat name: Scubaqua
Make: Humber Ocean Pro 6.3
Engine: Evinrude E-tec 115
MMSI: 244630361
RIBase
If you want to buy a second hand Humber you know what you buy.... :-)
I bought a new Humber (Ocean Pro 6.3) in 2014 and it had gave me a lot of headache....But as said, when you you buy a second hand thats not in the picture.
A have a 115 E-tec on the back which came from my previous boat, and I have to say that the performance is not too bad. I use the boat for diving and with six divers it rides fine. It take some time to come in plane, but when it reaches plane the boat rides nice and slick.
i will place a heavier engine at the back in the future (first saving some € ), but only for getting quicker in plane.
For family trips the setup is more than OK.
Because of the shape of the hull, the ride is rather very dry...only when "floating" or very low speed and an "offset frontal wind" some drops fly in the boat.
Old 09 August 2015, 22:08   #19

Length: 10m +
I personally think you should get a Humber destroyer with 120 on the back. It is meaty enough to get through the swell in Chichester harbor on a stormy day. I am part of the race club an do a safety cover. For your use u could always use a 100hp. It's really up to you depending on how much money you want to spend.
Old 11 August 2015, 18:12   #20

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Kia Ora
Engine: 130hp Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by phj123 View Post
Thanks all it comes with trailer which is flush mounted looks like a winner will have to buy a cover for it though

Cheers again for your replies

Paul
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, however if you haven't bought your boat yet take a look at mine I have for sale. Its a 5.5 with a 130hp engine, details are in the for sale section, I doubt you will find a tidier boat and I'm asking substantially less than the figure you mention.
Plus it comes with a genuine custom heavy duty cover....

Either way good luck with your search, they are a great boat..!