Old 07 December 2010, 13:35   #1

Town: killyleagh
Length: 4m +
advice needed (please)

hi all, im sure you are all bored of new people joining up and asking the same question, but here goes . i live on strangford lough and im going to purchase my first rib,im looking something around the 4m size not to big or small as i have a larger boat aswell. the question is im not sure what to go for ?? iv seen a nice looking bombard exploerer 500 on apollo duck ,are they a decent first rib or should i stick with a searider (sr4) is there anything i should look for or avoid?? (apart from the obvious) . thanks in advance guys
Old 07 December 2010, 18:11   #2

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Length: 5m +
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Welcome to ribnet.

You may achieve better reaction by stating in the thread title what advice you need.
Old 08 December 2010, 21:59   #3
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Presumably you are talking about this one: http://www.apolloduck.co.uk/image.ph...157574&image=1

That looks like a reasonably tidy boat for the money; the engine is probably quite old (but if it runs well who cares).

I've never been on a Bombard 500 - but at a metre longer than a SR4 it has some advantage, even if it doesn't have the famous reputation the SR does. I think for the same money you'd be looking at a pretty scruffy SR.

Does it have power trim and tilt (a feature that makes little difference to the cash value of an old boat, but makes a big difference to the ease of use).

The obvious criticism is it has a bench seat which lots of people don't like compared to jockey seats. On the other hand they can be better for use with young kids.
Old 08 December 2010, 22:04   #4

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
I've never been on a Bombard 500 - but at a metre longer than a SR4 it has some advantage, even if it doesn't have the famous reputation the SR does. I think for the same money you'd be looking at a pretty scruffy SR.
You'll get a half decent SR4 for that money, given what you want it for I'd go for the Bombard.