Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 January 2015, 17:08   #11
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcol View Post
No mate, no towing as know the history !
Sorry pal, you know someone's version of the history.

By the laws of physics, there is no way that the tugging of a mooring warp of a floating rib tied 'longside would tear a frame mount.

Unless there was either a 40 tonne trawler rafted up to the rib, or the tide went out a left the thing dangling by it's frame.

IMHO, that damage has been caused by towing something 'kin heavy off of the top of the frame, or it's had a whack when on the trailer, an overhead barrier perhaps?
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2015, 16:23   #12
Member
 
OSPREY RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: OSPREY
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 148
Nowadays we have added an extra bit of security to make sure the Aframe remains a permanent fixture even if someone wants to ski off it.

12mm bolt through a 10mm s/s plate and the transom.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A_Frame Strengthening Bolt.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	102100  
__________________

__________________
OSPREY RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2015, 17:23   #13
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
Nowadays we have added an extra bit of security to make sure the Aframe remains a permanent fixture even if someone wants to ski off it.

12mm bolt through a 10mm s/s plate and the transom.
What use is that?! Unless you're towing skiers going backwards.

The force on the rear leg is purely compressive when towing, the shearing force on the front plate is the one worry about after the leverage of the frame is added.

If the front mounts let go, that tab that you've added would peel apart quicker than Jimbo's radar tower.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2015, 17:38   #14
RIBnet supporter
 
mick's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wakefield
Boat name: Bouncer
Make: Redbay Stormforce
Length: 6m +
Engine: 2x Honda 90Hp
MMSI: 235025718
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What use is that?! Unless you're towing skiers going backwards.

The force on the rear leg is purely compressive when towing, the shearing force on the front plate is the one worry about after the leverage of the frame is added.

If the front mounts let go, that tab that you've added would peel apart quicker than Jimbo's radar tower.
would have to agree with that seems pointless in that position
__________________
mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2015, 17:47   #15
Member
 
OSPREY RIBS's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Make: OSPREY
Length: 5m +
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
What use is that?! Unless you're towing skiers going backwards.

The force on the rear leg is purely compressive when towing, the shearing force on the front plate is the one worry about after the leverage of the frame is added.

If the front mounts let go, that tab that you've added would peel apart quicker than Jimbo's radar tower.
Our experience has shown that if the A-frames are used inappropriately then the greatest load is placed on the rear legs as they are effectively pulled back and downwards with incredible force. These transom bolts take most of the load off the top of the transom box and move it onto the transom.
__________________
OSPREY RIBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 January 2015, 17:48   #16
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSPREY RIBS View Post
Our experience has shown that if the A-frames are used inappropriately then the greatest load is placed on the rear legs as they are effectively pulled back and downwards with incredible force. These transom bolts take most of the load off the top of the transom box and move it onto the transom.
Ah right.
__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2015, 12:47   #17
Member
 
Country: Other
Length: 6m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25
Does anyone know what the grey paint used around the edge of the deck and in the bilge area is (see picture below) and where I would get it? Is it a type of epoxy or gelcoat? I need it in order to carry out the repair around the a-frame attachment to the deck.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1423244811.848700.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	102793Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByRIB Net1423244846.562603.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	102794
__________________
Ribzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 February 2015, 13:11   #18
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,573
Looks like flow coat gel coat with wax added
__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2015, 04:23   #19
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribzer View Post
Does anyone know what the grey paint used around the edge of the deck and in the bilge area is (see picture below) and where I would get it? Is it a type of epoxy or gelcoat? I need it in order to carry out the repair around the a-frame attachment to the deck.
The best people to ask would probably be Redbay who could probably tell you the right shade of grey. I'm assuming you've been in touch with RBB as suggested previously as they'll be best placed to advise on the fix, and any longer term reinforcing if you are doing something exceptional with it.

Its testament to the Redbay A-frame that the weak point in the whole thing appears to be the deck joint - all too often people are posting here with cracks on cheap metal work caused by the cyclical vibrations of running ribs in real conditions.

The damage you posted looks like the sort of thing you'd expect from a sudden load, so unless you've been towing supertankers or forgot the tide goes out then did someone forget a car park height barrier? Truely remarkable though if the rest of the frame is completely unharmed from whatever happened to it. Any sign of damage on the other side? Is the frame still straight?

How old is it? I'd have been tempted to RTB even with a 3 hr tow so you get it fixed 'right'. If any water starts getting in there you'll be plagued with issues.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 February 2015, 05:07   #20
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Mighty Penryn
Boat name: Little Joe.
Make: Avon Searider
Length: 4m +
Engine: Honda BF50
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 8,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollers View Post
Unless there was either a 40 tonne trawler rafted up to the rib, or the tide went out a left the thing dangling by it's frame.

IMHO, that damage has been caused by towing something 'kin heavy off of the top of the frame, or it's had a whack when on the trailer, an overhead barrier perhaps?
Ditto.
__________________

__________________
Mollers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.