Click Here to Login

Old 14 January 2008, 09:31   #1

Town: west
Boat name: duke
Make: humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: yamaha 100
6.5mtr ribtec 249 yanmar + hamilton jet. HELP PLEASE

Hi Everyone long time user 1st time poster. I am changing to a diesel for the ovbious reason of running costs!! i have looked at a boat as described in title she seems the real deal is there anyone out there that would have the same or something like it that would give me some advice. she has only 400 hours on clock was a tender to a boat in france has all the paper work and certs etc. the engine is not on the stern like some i have seen but just in front of the flip up console about 7 foot from the stern. the boat looks perfect and runs great. is there anything in particular i should be wary of or are they a good design.

many thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.
Old 14 January 2008, 21:55   #2

Town: Dublin & Enniscrone
Boat name: K'adó
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Suzuki 300
Jet Drive

Dukey

I'm not sure where on the west coast you are but my experience of the west coast is that you get a lot of heavy weather and an usually large amount of serious swell.

In my opinion the jet drives are not as well suited to handling rough conditions as a prop drive. You might want to check this matter further and see if you can et a test drive in the proposed rib in really heavy weather conditions.

Testing conditions maynot be your every day occourance for you but if you do happen to get caught out in heavy conditions be sure your boat is capable of handing them.

Keep asking the questions!

Best of luck.
Old 14 January 2008, 22:08   #3

thanks

thanks fot that ez going we are taking her out for a spin on sunday so hopefully we will bee able to give it a good test. Has anyone anything to add as to how good yanmar are or the hamilton jet? would we be better going for a sterndrive?
Old 14 January 2008, 23:14   #4

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezgoing View Post
Dukey

I'm not sure where on the west coast you are but my experience of the west coast is that you get a lot of heavy weather and an usually large amount of serious swell.

In my opinion the jet drives are not as well suited to handling rough conditions as a prop drive. You might want to check this matter further and see if you can et a test drive in the proposed rib in really heavy weather conditions.

Testing conditions maynot be your every day occourance for you but if you do happen to get caught out in heavy conditions be sure your boat is capable of handing them.

Keep asking the questions!

Best of luck.

A lot depends on what boat they are fitted to - an Ocean Dynamics crossed the Atlantic with a jet drive and they cope pretty well in the North Sea. Also many rescue boats are also jet drive. These tend to be much bigger an heavier boats than a 6.5m but then again jet skis are jet drive and they cope pretty well...............
Old 15 January 2008, 12:26   #5

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Engine: inboard/diesel
i take it the boat is white all over with a teak deck, if it is it was a tender to a bigger boat and i quite possibliy built it, not a good boat the go far off shore in though, i can offer you all the advise you need but must stress that if needed i can do no work for you as i've been told off by ribnet for being to helpful towards it's members, biff
Old 15 January 2008, 18:46   #6

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I heard somewhere that jet-drives are thirstier on fuel than prop-driven. I've no first hand experience of this though, so I may be wrong
Old 15 January 2008, 19:20   #7
J S

Town: N.Wales/Southampton
Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: Honda 15hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
I heard somewhere that jet-drives are thirstier on fuel than prop-driven. I've no first hand experience of this though, so I may be wrong
Yes i dont think the jet drive is as efficient.

James
Old 15 January 2008, 21:19   #8

thanks biff

i,ve sent you a pm.
Old 16 January 2008, 00:47   #9

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
It's up to you if you like the boat then it's down to cost as to whether it's good value or not. They certainly are nice looking

I don't fancy 6.5 mtrs much with a diesel and jet drive. The boat from what you are saying is mid engined so presumably the tank is at the front of the engine what capacity is it and how much does it hold.

If i were you then i'd test it with the tank full to see how well the boat is balanced. Also if you fill the tank back up after the test the you have a good idea of the consumption of the boat.

Ribtec's have a single spary rail which with an inboard makes the ride a little wobbly at slow speed and a little twitchy at high speed.

Hopefully this is a UK built Riviera so the mouldings will be by Trio and the toobs by Henshaw which is fine and dandy. If however it was popped out in SA the that would devalue the boat

What model engine/jet has the boat got and what reduction does ithe gear box have ( you put boat in reverse to backflush jet intake if blocked) , if it doesn't then make sure you have the ability to be able to clear the jet intakes at sea.

The comments made about fuel economy are true I suspect the consumtion to be 15% more than with a leg. whilst the comments made about the nasty sea and loss of drive are theoretically true in practice your not likey to be out in those conditions for long.

Carefully check the jet drive out of the water to look for signs of erosion.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2008, 19:13   #10

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
i drive a 12 meter rib with hamilton jets, done 8000 hrs with no problems have heard a few storys about jets in under 8 meter boats being not so good in the rougher seas,as boat tends to leave the water more and you loose drive.