Old 02 March 2009, 11:40   #1
Zan

Town: Glasgow
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
5m RIB for diving - lots of questions!

Hiya
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to the idea of getting a RIB. It's something I've always toyed with the idea of, and am looking for some information to help make a decent decision!

I am basically looking for about a 5m RIB to carry 4 divers+kit and a cox'n. It would be used for relatively close to shore trips, but I'd like the option to go further out as my own skill improves, and also the peace of mind that we can always get home even if the weather turns while we have divers down. So, to that end I'm thinking of something like an XS-500 or Humber Ocean Pro (2m width), but I can't afford to buy new. I want to have fitted GPS, DSC-VHF radio and (probably) fishfinder, so am looking at a double-bar A frame to hold that and lights. It would be towed by a 1.9L Seat Leon (no 4x4s for us at the moment) so that will limit the weight of it all.

Where I get a bit stuck is with weights and engines! What size of engine would be suitable to carry that sort of RIB \ kit? Is a 70Hp enough,or would I need to look into something bigger? And I have no idea about 2 vs 4 stroke engines - I did a search on the forums and it was a bit over my head...

Can anyone offer (a total newbie) a bit of advice on this? I won't be able to afford any of this for a long time, but I'd like to have a realistic idea of what I'm letting myself in for before I start really moving ahead on it.

Thanks very much!
Zan

Old 02 March 2009, 11:50   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
for an engine that big, you want a 4 stroke - probably use about half as much fuel as a two stroke the same size!

Old 02 March 2009, 11:58   #3

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
rib

i had a 5.5m delta with a 140hp 2 stroke it would take 5 divers and kit towed it with a people carrier and an audi a4 diesel never a problem towing it, id say 100hp 4 stroke yamaha would be the ideal size, all the best in finding your new rib,
Old 02 March 2009, 12:23   #4
K&S

Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Zan, I would recomend the xs over the humber but i'd also recomend the 550 rather than the 500 as it has far more room both length and width.
We have just bought the 540 and its a lot narrower than our 650 wich is equally as wide as the 550.

I'd def recomend 4 stroke but having said that we just put a 75 hp 2 stroke on the 540 - Dam its an angry sounding lump
Old 02 March 2009, 12:25   #5
Zan

thanks for the help, that gives me an idea of the engines. I'm on a pretty tight budget really, so I'll be looking 2nd hand when I do eventually start looking about, but I really want to make sure I'm getting the right thing! If I have a 100hp engine, and take the boat out unladen for a spin, am I likely to take off with that much power or is it still manageable?

What about other boat makes? Are the 2 I've mentioned pretty good dive boats or are the others I should be considering as well? Sorry for all the totally nooby questions!
Old 02 March 2009, 12:29   #6
K&S

Both pretty good and able to take the punishment of divers and their kit.
Speak to Bruce B he's a diver and has a humber.
Old 02 March 2009, 12:31   #7
K&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
If I have a 100hp engine, and take the boat out unladen for a spin, am I likely to take off with that much power or is it still manageable?
You can allways slow an engine down
Old 02 March 2009, 12:34   #8
Zan

K&S - thanks, I just missed your post as I was replying to the last ones The 550xs is a niiice looking boat, and I am def swaying towards that make, but I was a little concerned about it being too big to tow\power. Good to know our car will probably cope ok, and I guess we can always hire a van if we need something bigger for a day with a slippery slipway or something!

I have driven quite a few boats adn ribs, but I've never really thought about the details of owning and powering one, so please bear with me on the questions

So, what about makes of engine? If I am looking at a 4 stroke outboard in the region of 90-100hp, are there any that are miles better\worse than the others? Again, this will probably need to be a 2nd hand purchase (hopefully with a friendly mechanic in tow), but it would be good to have a decent idea of the market first.

Oh - and one thing I didn't ask the first time round: for a relatively good, working order boat of these specs, what should I be expecting to pay (for boat & a frame, trailer and engine)?
Old 02 March 2009, 13:01   #9
K&S

Quote:
K&S - thanks, I just missed your post as I was replying to the last ones The 550xs is a niiice looking boat, and I am def swaying towards that make, but I was a little concerned about it being too big to tow\power. Good to know our car will probably cope ok, and I guess we can always hire a van if we need something bigger for a day with a slippery slipway or something!
When we had our hardy pilot we found it dam near impossible to get a van with a towball.

We tow our boats with a kia sedona and it doesn't struggle. We do keep a 'just incase' box in the boot with rope turfer winch etc just incase we have problems on a slip.
A breaked trailer behind a 1.9 diesel should be ok to tow , i'm no expert but check your hand book for towing weights.

Quote:
I have driven quite a few boats adn ribs, but I've never really thought about the details of owning and powering one, so please bear with me on the questions
Once you get a boat it won't be long till you want another / bigger one

Quote:
So, what about makes of engine? If I am looking at a 4 stroke outboard in the region of 90-100hp, are there any that are miles better\worse than the others? Again, this will probably need to be a 2nd hand purchase (hopefully with a friendly mechanic in tow), but it would be good to have a decent idea of the market first.
Cant help much on this one except to say we have used many and prefer Mercury/ Mariner & Suzuki

Quote:
Oh - and one thing I didn't ask the first time round: for a relatively good, working order boat of these specs, what should I be expecting to pay (for boat & a frame, trailer and engine)?
Xs are still pretty thin on the ground in the second hand market and i should have said earlier perhaps if budget is an issue then you could consider adding Tornado to your list. I'd imagine they would be easier to come by and possibly cheaper the Tornado 5.8 with an 80hp f/s on the back is a nice set up.

hope that helps
Old 02 March 2009, 13:19   #10
Zan

yeah Tornados are another make that I was keeping an eye out for, but they are pretty few and far between at the moment as well... Doesn't really matter - like I said this will be a long time coming to fruition! Hell, I've got a wedding to plan and pay for first

But your advice has been really helpful and given me a fair idea of the basics. If there are any other things I should be looking out for \ avoiding, please let me know!