Old 02 March 2009, 15:40   #1
Zan

Town: Glasgow
Make: Avon SR 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90HP Yamaha Outboard
5m RIB for diving - lots of questions!

Hiya
I'm new to this forum and pretty new to the idea of getting a RIB. It's something I've always toyed with the idea of, and am looking for some information to help make a decent decision!

I am basically looking for about a 5m RIB to carry 4 divers+kit and a cox'n. It would be used for relatively close to shore trips, but I'd like the option to go further out as my own skill improves, and also the peace of mind that we can always get home even if the weather turns while we have divers down. So, to that end I'm thinking of something like an XS-500 or Humber Ocean Pro (2m width), but I can't afford to buy new. I want to have fitted GPS, DSC-VHF radio and (probably) fishfinder, so am looking at a double-bar A frame to hold that and lights. It would be towed by a 1.9L Seat Leon (no 4x4s for us at the moment) so that will limit the weight of it all.

Where I get a bit stuck is with weights and engines! What size of engine would be suitable to carry that sort of RIB \ kit? Is a 70Hp enough,or would I need to look into something bigger? And I have no idea about 2 vs 4 stroke engines - I did a search on the forums and it was a bit over my head...

Can anyone offer (a total newbie) a bit of advice on this? I won't be able to afford any of this for a long time, but I'd like to have a realistic idea of what I'm letting myself in for before I start really moving ahead on it.

Thanks very much!
Zan
Old 02 March 2009, 15:50   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Jammy Dodger
Make: Avon Adventure 7.20
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Yamaha
Send a message via MSN to willfinch36
for an engine that big, you want a 4 stroke - probably use about half as much fuel as a two stroke the same size!
Old 02 March 2009, 15:58   #3

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
rib

i had a 5.5m delta with a 140hp 2 stroke it would take 5 divers and kit towed it with a people carrier and an audi a4 diesel never a problem towing it, id say 100hp 4 stroke yamaha would be the ideal size, all the best in finding your new rib,
Old 02 March 2009, 16:23   #4
K&S

Boat name: Riberty
Make: xs 650
Length: 6m +
Engine: suzuki 175
MMSI: 235063328
Zan, I would recomend the xs over the humber but i'd also recomend the 550 rather than the 500 as it has far more room both length and width.
We have just bought the 540 and its a lot narrower than our 650 wich is equally as wide as the 550.

I'd def recomend 4 stroke but having said that we just put a 75 hp 2 stroke on the 540 - Dam its an angry sounding lump
Old 02 March 2009, 16:25   #5
Zan

thanks for the help, that gives me an idea of the engines. I'm on a pretty tight budget really, so I'll be looking 2nd hand when I do eventually start looking about, but I really want to make sure I'm getting the right thing! If I have a 100hp engine, and take the boat out unladen for a spin, am I likely to take off with that much power or is it still manageable?

What about other boat makes? Are the 2 I've mentioned pretty good dive boats or are the others I should be considering as well? Sorry for all the totally nooby questions!
Old 02 March 2009, 16:29   #6
K&S

Both pretty good and able to take the punishment of divers and their kit.
Speak to Bruce B he's a diver and has a humber.
Old 02 March 2009, 16:31   #7
K&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zan View Post
If I have a 100hp engine, and take the boat out unladen for a spin, am I likely to take off with that much power or is it still manageable?
You can allways slow an engine down
Old 02 March 2009, 16:34   #8
Zan

K&S - thanks, I just missed your post as I was replying to the last ones The 550xs is a niiice looking boat, and I am def swaying towards that make, but I was a little concerned about it being too big to tow\power. Good to know our car will probably cope ok, and I guess we can always hire a van if we need something bigger for a day with a slippery slipway or something!

I have driven quite a few boats adn ribs, but I've never really thought about the details of owning and powering one, so please bear with me on the questions

So, what about makes of engine? If I am looking at a 4 stroke outboard in the region of 90-100hp, are there any that are miles better\worse than the others? Again, this will probably need to be a 2nd hand purchase (hopefully with a friendly mechanic in tow), but it would be good to have a decent idea of the market first.

Oh - and one thing I didn't ask the first time round: for a relatively good, working order boat of these specs, what should I be expecting to pay (for boat & a frame, trailer and engine)?
Old 02 March 2009, 17:01   #9
K&S

Quote:
K&S - thanks, I just missed your post as I was replying to the last ones The 550xs is a niiice looking boat, and I am def swaying towards that make, but I was a little concerned about it being too big to tow\power. Good to know our car will probably cope ok, and I guess we can always hire a van if we need something bigger for a day with a slippery slipway or something!
When we had our hardy pilot we found it dam near impossible to get a van with a towball.

We tow our boats with a kia sedona and it doesn't struggle. We do keep a 'just incase' box in the boot with rope turfer winch etc just incase we have problems on a slip.
A breaked trailer behind a 1.9 diesel should be ok to tow , i'm no expert but check your hand book for towing weights.

Quote:
I have driven quite a few boats adn ribs, but I've never really thought about the details of owning and powering one, so please bear with me on the questions
Once you get a boat it won't be long till you want another / bigger one

Quote:
So, what about makes of engine? If I am looking at a 4 stroke outboard in the region of 90-100hp, are there any that are miles better\worse than the others? Again, this will probably need to be a 2nd hand purchase (hopefully with a friendly mechanic in tow), but it would be good to have a decent idea of the market first.
Cant help much on this one except to say we have used many and prefer Mercury/ Mariner & Suzuki

Quote:
Oh - and one thing I didn't ask the first time round: for a relatively good, working order boat of these specs, what should I be expecting to pay (for boat & a frame, trailer and engine)?
Xs are still pretty thin on the ground in the second hand market and i should have said earlier perhaps if budget is an issue then you could consider adding Tornado to your list. I'd imagine they would be easier to come by and possibly cheaper the Tornado 5.8 with an 80hp f/s on the back is a nice set up.

hope that helps
Old 02 March 2009, 17:19   #10
Zan

yeah Tornados are another make that I was keeping an eye out for, but they are pretty few and far between at the moment as well... Doesn't really matter - like I said this will be a long time coming to fruition! Hell, I've got a wedding to plan and pay for first

But your advice has been really helpful and given me a fair idea of the basics. If there are any other things I should be looking out for \ avoiding, please let me know!
Old 02 March 2009, 18:05   #11

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
I'd go for a 2 stroke, cheaper to buy and less weight when your towing.
Old 02 March 2009, 19:19   #12
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by willfinch36 View Post
for an engine that big, you want a 4 stroke - probably use about half as much fuel as a two stroke the same size!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewy
I'd go for a 2 stroke, cheaper to buy and less weight when your towing.
And unfortunately that is the problem! Each has pro's and con's. Here are some of the major ones:

4-strokes
Pros
Better fuel efficiency
No regular oil costs, no oil to mix with fuel
Happier sitting at tick over all day that 2 strokes

Cons
Heavy (can make stern to heavy on boat, overload transom, or cause problems with trailers/towing etc)
Lack initial acceleration (sometimes referred to as hole shot).

Old style 2-strokes
Pros
Simple engines
Light weight
Good hole shot

Cons
Poorer fuel efficiency
Need to keep adding oil (cost and inconvenience/mess)
No longer available new in Europe (except special exceptions) - so will be at least a few years old.
Not the most eco-friendly engines.

New style 2-strokes (Etec etc)
Pros
Can be lighter than a 4 stroke (but usually heavier than equivalent old tech 2 stroke)
Good hole shot
Some have 3 year service interval and automated winterising
Better fuel economy than an old 2-stroke

Cons
Not as "simple tech" as 2 strokes - some very early ones had a bad reputation.
Need to keep adding oil
Old 02 March 2009, 19:49   #13
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
What is your budget?

My boat is up for sale and the previous owner - the National Marine Aquarium used it for diving. Check it out here - http://www.boatsandoutboards.com/view/F195817

I've towed it with a Golf, A3 and an A4 no problems.

Chris
Old 02 March 2009, 19:53   #14
Zan

Nice one, that's a pretty decent summary of the different engines, which I didn't know before

I definately can't afford to buy a new outboard, so that will also be 2nd hand. Thanks to the people who've PM'd me as well, that's a huge help. I think our maximum budget is going to be in the region of £10k for a fully kitted boat (ie boat\trailer\engine + GPS, DSC radio, flares etc). Fuel \ insurance \ storage costs will all go on top of that, althoguh by the looks of it will be a lot less expensive than I was expecting.

Something a bit scruffy will probably do us quite well for starters, as I have my powerboat 2 licence, but no regular access for practice, and the other people who will be sharing the boat are yet to try driving any boat!

Anyone got experience of Delta boats for diving? I heard someone on another forum recommend them, but there's not a lot of info on them...
Old 02 March 2009, 19:55   #15
Zan

Thanks for the offer CJL, but it's a bit over our budget, and we'll probably need about a year or so to save up, which probably isn't much good to you! I'm still trying to reassure the OH that I can save for a boat and our wedding at the same time :S
Old 02 March 2009, 19:59   #16
CJL

Town: London/Oxford
Make: Ribcrafts
Engine: 150hp/2x115hp
MMSI: 235090215
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to CJL
Quote:
Anyone got experience of Delta boats for diving? I heard someone on another forum recommend them, but there's not a lot of info on them...
One of the best Ribs on the market. Only problem is they don't or did not until recently sell to boats on the leisure market.

Most reasonable Deltas won't be in your price range either. I bought a fairly sh@gged one without a trailer and a 2 stroke engine for 6.5k. It then needed a grand spending on it to get it up to par.

If you find one buy it, love it and don't ever sell it.

Chris
Old 02 March 2009, 20:06   #17
K&S

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJL View Post
One of the best Ribs on the market. Only problem is they don't or did not until recently sell to boats on the leisure market.

Most reasonable Deltas won't be in your price range either.
If you find one buy it, love it and don't ever sell it.

Chris
Yep i'd agree with all that.
Old 02 March 2009, 20:17   #18

Town: West Wales
Make: Vipermax 5.8, SR4.7
Engine: 150 Opti, F50EFi
Quote:
....this will be a long time coming to fruition! Hell, I've got a wedding to plan and pay for first
Quote:
If there are any other things I should be looking out for \ avoiding, please let me know!
If you avoid that wedding, you could buy yourself a nice RIB
Old 02 March 2009, 20:24   #19

Length: 10m +
Engine: 2x610hp jets
delta

iv had 4 dive ribs delta being 2 of them, best rib iv had and for a 5.5 plenty of space for dive gear, usuall pick a 5.5 up for between 5 and 9000 if you can find them,
Old 02 March 2009, 21:53   #20
Zan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhilldai View Post
If you avoid that wedding, you could buy yourself a nice RIB
Yeah, that suggestion hasn't gone down too well... hahahaha!

Sounds like I should add Deltas to the list as well as the Humber\XS's mentioned above, and teh tornados... Between them I'm sure we can find something to come in on budget. I just have to go and pass my part C driving licence in the meantime so I can actually tow the thing

Thanks for all the help - please keep the suggestions coming as they are really really helpful.