Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIBnet Community Forums > Say Hello | New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 15 August 2019, 13:00   #1

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Tribute
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Honda BF90 Main Tilt/Trim Ram leaking – No seal kit available from Honda only a new

Hi all, I'm a new member who has been browsing the forum for all your useful advice pre purchase of my RIB. Having completed two weeks in Falmouth (had an issue at the end but let’s not mention that…very nice chap in a twin engine rib towed us in) i have now discovered the main lift ram is leaking on my Honda BF90 - circa year 2000 off the top of my head.

It seems the main ram does not have a replacement seal kit; you have to order a whole new ram from Honda at circa £400. I have trawled the forum but cannot find a thread and also the wider internet which has only thrown up a chap who ended up removing it all and then paying for the whole unit. Has anyone found an aftermarket alternative...do the Yamaha parts fit etc.? Any help would be gratefully received.
Old 15 August 2019, 13:43   #2

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner2019 View Post
Hi all, I'm a new member who has been browsing the forum for all your useful advice pre purchase of my RIB. Having completed two weeks in Falmouth (had an issue at the end but let’s not mention that…very nice chap in a twin engine rib towed us in) i have now discovered the main lift ram is leaking on my Honda BF90 - circa year 2000 off the top of my head.

It seems the main ram does not have a replacement seal kit; you have to order a whole new ram from Honda at circa £400. I have trawled the forum but cannot find a thread and also the wider internet which has only thrown up a chap who ended up removing it all and then paying for the whole unit. Has anyone found an aftermarket alternative...do the Yamaha parts fit etc.? Any help would be gratefully received.
Iirc some pals fitted a Yamaha trim unit to a honda 150 a few years ago but ive no idea how hard or easy it was.

If I was in your shoes I'd take the unit off and take it somewhere that repairs hydraulic rams, not a fancy Pirtec type place but an older established engineering shop that deals in digger ram and hydraulic repairs. I've had a few hydraulic things repaired over the years and the right guy can usually make & or adapt the parts you need

I find getting in the car and walking in with the item in your hands gets a better response than phoning and trying to explain
Old 15 August 2019, 15:40   #3

Town: Colchester
Boat name: Tribute
Make: Ribtec
Length: 5m +
Engine: Honda BF90
Thanks Beamishke, that is indeed plan B if there are no alternatives. Hopefully an old boy will take pity at a local shop. Still surprised Honda haven’t made this a serviceable part.
Old 15 August 2019, 15:56   #4

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinner2019 View Post
Thanks Beamishke, that is indeed plan B if there are no alternatives. Hopefully an old boy will take pity at a local shop. Still surprised Honda haven’t made this a serviceable part.
Built in obsolescence!
Keeps the new sales targets up
Old 15 August 2019, 16:59   #5

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Length: 6m +
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Going to the local hydraulic place would have been choice A for me
Old 15 August 2019, 19:58   #6

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
There always a way to repair. Hell I rebuilt my Tohatsu trim motor with adapted carbon brushes for a Suzuki 125cc motorbike and a spring from Hornby train set! Yes you read that right.

This any use?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Seal-Kit-...-/183568457963

Interesting thread here, picture heavy.
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...onda-bf90.html