Old 26 December 2016, 08:48   #21
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
Actually Mainbrace are situated in Alderney.

"Ribbing-the most expensive way of travelling third class"
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2016, 09:12   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsbairn View Post
... if you buy anything from the channel islands you may be charged vat but if you send the vat reciept to the supplier they should refund you as they claim it back from custom and excise

Steart
? Not sure what gives you this idea. VAT is due on all* imports from the Channel Islands.

* almost all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Indeed and neither are "part of the UK"
Old 26 December 2016, 10:49   #23

Town: Forfar
Make: DSB Zephyr
Length: 4m +
Engine: outboard 40hp Yamaha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Alderny is the norern most island and part of Guernsey, which comes under the british crown when you buy anything from the channels islands you may be charged VAT from inland revenue then you send the reciept back to whom ever you bought the item from and they claim it back from the uk government, i do this a lot with all the Harley parts i buy, there are not many i have to pay vat/import duty and when i do i send the reciept and get refunded
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney
Old 26 December 2016, 12:32   #24
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Alderny is the norern most island and part of Guernsey, which comes under the british crown when you buy anything from the channels islands you may be charged VAT from inland revenue then you send the reciept back to whom ever you bought the item from and they claim it back from the uk government, i do this a lot with all the Harley parts i buy, there are not many i have to pay vat/import duty and when i do i send the reciept and get refunded
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alderney
Alderney is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, it is not "Guernsey" which is the largest island in the Bailiwick. However VAT is due. If it is being "refunded" then possibly your other supplier has prepaid the vat? or that they just take the chance and refund when they get caught. I'd strongly recommend than nobody assumes mainbrayce or others will refund vat (especially on high value purchases) without confirming they operate a similar policy.
Old 26 December 2016, 20:37   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
Alderney is part of the Bailiwick of Guernsey, it is not "Guernsey" which is the largest island in the Bailiwick. However VAT is due. If it is being "refunded" then possibly your other supplier has prepaid the vat? or that they just take the chance and refund when they get caught. I'd strongly recommend than nobody assumes mainbrayce or others will refund vat (especially on high value purchases) without confirming they operate a similar policy.

Old 29 December 2016, 11:57   #26

On the SIB makes has any one ever had a DSB Zephyr 4m , a German boat made specifically for the forces and police , I bought one with a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha
Old 11 June 2017, 18:18   #27

Town: St Annes
Boat name: Kriegslust
Make: Flatacraft
Engine: Mariner 40hp
MMSI: 235902219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post

I'm afraid this seems to be back asswards, if you bought a new 9.8 from Mainbrayce, while you were over on a trip (not sure if they would ship it for you but you could ask) they wouldn't charge you VAT as we don't have VAT here... when you arrived in the UK Customs would want the 20% as you wouldn't be able to prove you'd paid it. By the way, they do still have them...

Mainbrayce – Alderney – Channel Islands – Marine Services – Chandlery – Fuel – Rigging – Sales » Tohatsu 9.8hp 2 Stroke
Old 15 February 2018, 21:52   #28

Town: Ripley
Make: Honwave
Engine: Honda 20hp petrol
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJS View Post
I have had my Honwave IE 3.8 + 20HP for 5 years now. I am very happy with both its handling and performance. I have done several 40 - 50 mile round trips in a day in this boat, it has always done the job well.

Apart from a tear on the underside which was caused by something sharp on the beach that is the only problem I have had.

Every boat has it's pro's and con's, it depends upon what you are prepared to live with. These SIB's are light, easy to launch and retrieve and best of all very economical....the downside is in chop they bounce around like corks and having no Cuddy one has to be prepared for a good drenching.

Sometimes I envy the bigger boats - the cabin, the cooker, the head would be nice.....until I see them messing endlessly around on the moorings or I hear the complaints of big RIB owners about the cost of fuel!

Small boats = a lot more water time by comparison in my opinion.

Yesterday was a classic - excellent weather, decided to go out at last moment - left for Lee on Solent at midday and was in the water half an hour from leaving home. Retrieval the same time. Flush the engine, hose out the boat wheel into garage......try doing that with a big RIB.

Honwave/ Aerotec, Avons, Quicksilvers - all good boats.
Hi CJS
I'm new to all this.
However you have the same outfit as me.
Can't believe you can do 40 to 50 miles in a day thats amazing.
I see your from Warsash near Southampton we have a static caravan near Poole and wondered if it was possible to go to Isle of Wight for a day out.
More so for me it's about getting out and a bit of fishing.
Old 26 March 2018, 21:52   #29

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Length: 5m +
Engine: Small!
RIBase
Hi All

After a few years running a Whaly rotomould rib I'm now playing around in an 18ft spearfish from nestaway boats. It's a cross between a standard SIB and power canoe. Best of all it can live in my van and I don't have to faff with moorings or trailers for a few seasons!
Old 27 March 2018, 09:29   #30

That is quite impressive performance from a small outboard...

"the SpearFish 15 will reach speeds of 12-15 knots with two adults on board, on just 6hp. Very few other boats can do that, let alone roll-up inflatables (we can’t think of any). And of course it’s even faster if you’re boating solo."

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/spear...e-motor-canoe/
Old 27 March 2018, 13:39   #31

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
I wasn't aware of the Spearfish and the concept is very interesting. There is something very rewarding in a craft that goes well for a minimal OB as demonstrated a couple of decades ago when I modded a 16ft plywood Canadian style canoe by cutting the last two feet off one end and fitting a transom for a 2hp Mariner.

The 15ft Spear fish is very narrow... distance between the tubes is small enough to grip a 12l fuel tank... that's narrow. Not sure the 18ft is the same?

Be interested to hear more of it when you get out and about pappajoe.
Old 27 March 2018, 15:54   #32

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
kaboat is another one similar used a lot for river running
http://www.boatstogo.com/kaboat.asp
Old 27 March 2018, 20:14   #33

Town: Bournemouth
Boat name: Lucky Heather 3
Make: Spearfish
Engine: Small!
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
I wasn't aware of the Spearfish and the concept is very interesting. There is something very rewarding in a craft that goes well for a minimal OB as demonstrated a couple of decades ago when I modded a 16ft plywood Canadian style canoe by cutting the last two feet off one end and fitting a transom for a 2hp Mariner.

The 15ft Spear fish is very narrow... distance between the tubes is small enough to grip a 12l fuel tank... that's narrow. Not sure the 18ft is the same?

Be interested to hear more of it when you get out and about pappajoe.
The 18ft is a little wider and if it ever warms up it will be nice to give it a blast.
Old 31 January 2019, 13:25   #34

Town: Eastern Canada
Boat name: Isy
Make: Zodiac
Engine: 15 hp mercury
Thks Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
There are a few 'which SIB' questions doing the rounds - the old lurkers will know this is the number one question and most of us advise the same old stuff, might be useful to sum up from the many years of topics a few handy observations:

1. In all practicality (capacity, convenience, compromise, UK seas) 3.1m to 3.4m is the size to go for (exception being the 3.8m Bombard Aerotec which really is like most 3.4s in practise).

2. Airfloor is much lighter and best suited to those inflating/deflating at launch, hauling up a beach, carrying on roof, packing in boot etc but may wallow a bit *even* with 100% correct pressure especially the larger sizes (very notable exception being the 3.8m Bombard Aerotec). With all airfloor SIB's pressure is *critical* - the last 10% in the floor especially makes all the difference.

3. Hard floor gives a much improved solidity and 'real boat' feel, is more hard wearing, easier to attach 'stuff' to, handles a bit better, is a faff to take apart/put together but the main issue is it will be *much* heavier and certainly with larger sizes really needs a trailer.

4. Flat floor, V floor etc: NO SIB will handle like a Searider - they just don't have the weight or deep V. In anything other than the merest ripples you will bounce about. General consensus is (forgetting the old truly flat floor Avon types) a solid floor/inflatable keel SIB is a slight improvement on an airfloor/inflatable keel. The airfloor Honwaves have a *slightly* more pronounced V than maybe a typical Zodiac/Quicksilver aifloor etc but deep it ain't. All SIB keels with the very notable exception of the 3.8m Bombard Aerotec (notice a pattern here ) are almost flat at the stern, the Aerotec is unique in that the V extends all the way to the transom and makes it ride/perform all on it's own and bridges the gap between a SIB and a RIB. It's still not a Searider though.

5. Engines: Two holy grail groups - the Tohatsu 9.8 2 stroke (weight 26kg), suitable for SIB's up to 3.4m, will fly with one adult, plane with two slowly, struggle with two and a half upwards. Then the 15hp 2 strokes - Mercury/Mariner (lightest at 34kg), Yamaha 15 (around 36kg) and Tohatu/Suzuki etc 15's.

The 8 to 10 kg of a 15 over a 9.8 makes a *real* difference when lugging it up and down a beach but a 15 will fly with two and should plane with three or four (if not too heavy) and add a couple of knots to the top end over the 9.8. Expect typical top speeds at WOT around 16 to 20 knots depending on combination. The above figures are all wide generalisations and dependant on the individual outfit - some kids/adults are a lot heavier than others!

If you have a heavier solid floor boat it will be a bit more sluggish. Small engine/small SIBs are very weight sensitive and may need distribution changes when driving to get best performance.

6. Which make? Plenty of great generic 'small brand' Chinese SIBs available (Honwave are Chinese and many others are cloned Honwaves) but a known big make (Honwave, Zodiac, Quicksilver, Suzumar, Avon, Tohatsu, Yamaha etc) may cost more initially but will certainly hold it's value much better and be much easier to sell. Many of us will have gone through two or three (or many more) SIB's before finding the ideal compromise for each individual's needs. Best advice (unless you really must have something brand new and know what you need) is to buy a used big brand complete outfit on eBay, dozens appear each week, you will save a packet over buying boat/engine separately and can always sell the other component on getting a very cheap boat or engine in the process. Buy right and you will not lose money when changing outfit. Example here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1613030530...T#ht_63wt_1152

7. It's all a compromise!
Convenience/weight/cost/portability/handling/performance/capacity etc - all factors affect the others but nothing beats a SIB for the fun per £ ratio in the boating world.
Enjoyed your info, having a Zodiac 340 solid, I'm purchasing a new 15 hp merc. Being new on the forum, and fairly new to boating, didnt even understand the abrevations sibs..anyways I'm learning.
Thanks,
Bryan
Old 31 January 2019, 15:21   #35

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Great! Welcome. The 340 and a 15hp is a perfect SIB set up enjoy it!
Old 27 February 2019, 20:19   #36

Town: Sweet-Lake city
Make: Bombard Aerotec 380
Engine: YAMAHA 15hp 4s 2018
Quote:
On the SIB makes has any one ever had a DSB Zephyr 4m , a German boat made specifically for the forces and police , I bought one with a 40hp 2 stroke Yamaha
Had one. A 1978 zephyr 304, made of hypalon with a 40 hp 2 stroke suzuki. Short orange bow, and plywood floor boards. Great boat it was for sure
Old 17 October 2019, 11:21   #37

Town: Fulham
Engine: Mercury 25HP
MMSI: 235914577
Good to see this thread is alive and well
Quote:
Originally Posted by papajoe View Post
The 18ft is a little wider and if it ever warms up it will be nice to give it a blast.
Old 23 January 2020, 09:11   #38

Town: Newmarket
Make: Honwave T38ie2
Engine: Suzuki 20HP
Seems that the 3.8m Bombard Aerotec is no longer an option.

Are there any current stand out SIBs?

I am thinking about going from my 12' portabote to an inflatable due to a vehicle change. I guess I might have to upgrade my 3.3HP 2S Mariner too....
Old 23 January 2020, 11:00   #39

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
look at the excel volair
Old 23 January 2020, 11:36   #40

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum Goldeneye.

I'd never try and push folks to an Aerotec because it's all a personal choice but if you already have an interest in one there is this on Ebay…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143500790...84.m1436.l2649

… which has been for sale for a while and if it's as described actually decent value.

And this ex-demo model if you were a little more adventurous re the buying process...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143500790...84.m1436.l2649