Old 27 August 2020, 18:09   #81

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
As above. I had a 20 which I could lift but needed help to get it horizonal into the car boot. Having said that once it was on the transom with some decent wheels you didn't notice the weight as it was usually only a couple of feet to carry it. Trolleys make life a lot easier.
Old 29 August 2020, 11:54   #82

Town: Up Northish
Boat name: Korky
Make: Elling KB350
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8 2 Stroke
I am looking at one of the Tohatsu 9.8 lightweight 2 strokes. Would this be suitable for an Elling 350, Excel Volaire 390 or Honwave T38?
Old 29 August 2020, 12:06   #83

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
More suited to the Elling with its light weight and reported easy way of going.

That Tohatsu is a great motor (I've owned one and would buy again if circumstances dictated) but a tuned up 6/8hp so... in my mind... not quite so suited to a larger/heavier SIBs.
Old 18 September 2020, 13:41   #84

Town: bridgend
Boat name: na
Make: na
Engine: na
Purchase

Hi thanks for all the advice on here. I was not sure what engine to go with my 3.8m sib. I have purchased a new 2020 20hp mariner engine from a local dealer for £2250 which seemed reasonable. Went for the 20 as it weighed the same as the 15 so seemed daft not to. Wanted the tohatsu as bit lighter but long wait time unfortunately. Thanks again for all the advice.
Old 10 June 2023, 13:59   #85

Aerotech 380 vs 420

Hi SIBBers,

After going down the Aerotec rabbit whole on this forum (the most comprehensive resource I found online btw !) I am tempted to pick a used one with a recent re-glue up for beach-hopping in Greece

Any input from people who have owned Aerotecs either as 380 or 420 is much appreciated:

1. What is the weight of the hull and high pressure floor as single items for either model?

30kgs is the max airline weight for „sporting goods“ in my case, for two adults with tickets that‘s below the total weight of the boat, but maybe not evenly split…

2. Are there notable differences in handling/seakeeping abilities between the 380 vs. 420?

3. Will a 15hp 2-Stroke (90ies Evinrude) comfortably plane 4 Adults in the 420 given a smooth sea state?

Cheers for your Inputs fellow boaties
Julian
Old 10 June 2023, 22:08   #86

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You will be lucky to find a 420, very few come up for sale.

The 380 weighs 43Kg and when removed the split is floor 8Kg, the rest 35Kg.

I've never use a 420 but have lots of 380 experience. However from what I've read they are very similar. The 420 is no wider just longer and there have been reports that the air floor can just misbehave on the 420 whereas the 380's floor is always rock solid. The 380's seakeeping is to my mind startlingly good.

We have used 8, 10, 15 & 20hp motors on ours. My personal view is 15hp is the sweet spot when two up but when we were two adults and two slim teen girls (plus dog) even that weight took the edge off the 15hp so we went to the 20. I would hesitate to say a 15 would give decent performance with four full adults.
Old 11 June 2023, 07:33   #87

Thanks for your reply Fenlander,

given the similar weight for both craft I guess they‘d perform similar at any given hp level.

Can you think of any indicators (other then riding it) which would allow me to identify the floor issues mentioned?
Old 11 June 2023, 09:45   #88

The potential for floor issues, i.e. flex or prop ventilation that spoils performance/enjoyment, will always be there for most air floor models and the longer the SIB the greater the chance of experiencing problems. It's the trade off for portability. However I do at least know you are 100% safe with the Aerotec 380 being free of these issues due to the engineering principle of the deep V resisting the water's upward force.

Where a SIB has this tendency due to length or design it's really hard to predict and different owners of the same SIB type have different experiences. Inflation pressure, load weight, load distribution, outboard type, outboard height/trim and even prop type can all have an effect.
Old 11 June 2023, 19:21   #89

Fenlander, again thanks for your response.

When looking at the used market in Germany Aerotecs and Futuras are almost at the same price level for used boats.

Did you ever get the chance to ride a Futura Mk2c FR (3,70m with high pressure floor) and might be able to compare it to the BAT 380?

Cheers
Old 11 June 2023, 20:00   #90

No sadly not. About ten years ago I came so close to a Futura purchase a couple of times but never quite got there. Futura loads more roomy and a level floor if that matters to you.
Old 12 June 2023, 06:08   #91

Fenlander, yes I am aware of these differences. As for exact sizes, would need to find some data online to compare 1:1.

Cheers
Old 12 June 2023, 08:54   #92

Not sure how easy it is to find the data online but here are the Zodiac figures from their brochure as a comparison. Bombard 380 vs Futura FR 3.8, for a like for like size. I just happen to have them in imperial measurements.

Bombard 380 length 11'6", width 5'5", int length 8'2", int width 2'5", weight 95lbs, max OB 25hp, load capacity 1518lbs.

Futura 3.8FR length 11'6", width 6'0", int length 8'4", int width 3'0", weight 144lbs, max OB 20hp, load capacity 1534lbs.

There may be variations over the years with Furura models but the Aerotec stayed the same in these specs... except for the last few years they shortened the cones so its nearer a Bombard 365 but they never changed the name.
Old 13 June 2023, 13:57   #93

Town: Brum
Boat name: UTV
Make: zodiac FR
Engine: 2 stroke 15hp
MMSI: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCGerau View Post
Fenlander, again thanks for your response.

When looking at the used market in Germany Aerotecs and Futuras are almost at the same price level for used boats.

Did you ever get the chance to ride a Futura Mk2c FR (3,70m with high pressure floor) and might be able to compare it to the BAT 380?

Cheers
I have had both, the futura is heavier and doesn't pack away as compact as the aerotec. it was well made and went well on a flatish sea state with a 15hp on, 2 adults and 2 children and I planed no problem. The Futura was a wet boat in any chop. The aerotec is definitely drier in that regard.

The Aerotec needs more power to get the same results, imo , especially with more passengers on board/ more weight. The speed tubes on the futura really do help it plane easier, despite it being a heavier SIB.
Old 13 June 2023, 21:48   #94

Hi Tinker, this makes a lot of sense, since a deeper V typically needs more power then a flat(ish) bottom. Thanks for sharing your experiences regarding the ride. Even though the sea state should be fine in Greece during summer. It will be a bonus having the passengers feel safe (and dry for that matter).

Firstly I have a 200x vintage 420 spotted with a transom and hull reglue that looks very clean with Steering and cover included (sadly neither wheels nor bravo pump) for 950€.

Secondly there is a 2004 380 with a 4 stroke 15hp Merc that’s been unused for the last 10 years which I think can be had around 1500€.

So tough choice here
Old 14 June 2023, 09:46   #95

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
I think from older topics the 420 was not nearly as well performing as the 380. You gain very little in the few extra inches (beam is the same) except maybe in more flex and poorer performance.

As above the Aerotec is draggy compared to other SIBs but then again it handles like no other SIB.
Old 14 June 2023, 10:32   #96

Thanks for your Input Max,

I tried to read most articles on here about the Aerotec - if you have a link handy for posts comparing 380 to 420 this would be awesome.

Also any inputs from users who have owned both would be appreciated and helpful in my decision making.

Size wise I do prefer the 420 (Max expected passengers are 4 Adults + 1 Child + 1 Infant) but If it‘s a remarkable „downgrade“ in terms is seakeeping/handling this would shift my favor to the 380.

That being said the purchase will ultimately be driven by cost and condition (i.e. transom and possibly hull re-glue done within the last 5 years if the boat is older then 15 years).
Old 14 June 2023, 12:42   #97

Aerotec is perfect with two, OK with three, lardy with four, two many with five - unless you're just pootling but then you'd be better off with a wider beam, solid floor etc.

Mine is here if you are have not seen it but loads of other topics on here via the search:

bombard-aerotec-ready-for-the-maiden-voyage-b-stard-son-of-a-y-class

And some more rigging help here:

rigging-an-aerotec

Very capable little rubber boats:

waterskiing-with-the-aerotec
Old 14 June 2023, 14:38   #98

Max is spot on... an Aerotec 380 feels way better 2 up + 15hp than 4 up + 20hp. And 4 is a bit of a crush. I don't think the 420 with its extra few cm length but same width would be much better.
Old 14 June 2023, 19:40   #99

…*too* many with five…
Old 06 August 2023, 17:59   #100

Town: Carlisle
Boat name: ??? - find out soon
Make: Hydrus H6