Old 08 August 2017, 18:22   #1

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Takacat Boats - Small Zapcats

Now I rather like these and for my 9.8 HP Tohastsu I think they could be fun. Will give me something to look at at SIBS in a few weeks.

I think this might be what I will get rather than a replacement SIB. But then again who knows what will be at SIBS

Takacat Portable Inflatable Catamaran Boats

Sort of £700 more than the Honwave I was looking at but heck they look fun

Anyone any experience of them in use

Dennis
Old 08 August 2017, 21:39   #2

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
No direct experience but a friend with a lot of experience has trialled one and was very impressed. Lightweight, very stable, goes very well with a small outboard compared to a 'standard' SIB.

I would say worth a trial if you can get one.
Old 10 August 2017, 06:50   #3

Obviously not much experience of these about. I am struggling to understand why they are almost double the price of a Honwave T35AE - Cant be that much more work or material involved

Dennis
Old 10 August 2017, 07:24   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Obviously not much experience of these about. I am struggling to understand why they are almost double the price of a Honwave T35AE - Cant be that much more work or material involved

Dennis

What makes you think the price of a boat is directly linked to its cost of manufacture?

Why do Honda sell inflatable boats? Is it because there is great margin to be made on them or because it makes for an easy platform to package with their engines and help sell more engines? The sales, marketing, logistics, quality overhead etc is shared across a much wider range and volume of products, letting them add a complimentary offering with lower incremental cost.

However even then you have the benefits of scale - I'm not sure how many Honwaves are made, but as you've observed these wee cats are much rarer. I'd bet quite a chunk of the cost by the time it reaches you is shipping.

There might be an argument that the cat design requires lower HP so actually the same package (in terms of people/conditions) actually works our similar overall? E.g. Cat+10hp =? Sib+15hp ?? I'd want to try one though to convince myself that it lives up to promises - I noted that in the PB&R article they essentially were following in some of the footsteps of last years Scottish SIB gathering ... but with MUCH more conservative distances covered.
Old 10 August 2017, 07:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
What makes you think the price of a boat is directly linked to its cost of manufacture?

Why do Honda sell inflatable boats? Is it because there is great margin to be made on them or because it makes for an easy platform to package with their engines and help sell more engines? The sales, marketing, logistics, quality overhead etc is shared across a much wider range and volume of products, letting them add a complimentary offering with lower incremental cost.

However even then you have the benefits of scale - I'm not sure how many Honwaves are made, but as you've observed these wee cats are much rarer. I'd bet quite a chunk of the cost by the time it reaches you is shipping.

There might be an argument that the cat design requires lower HP so actually the same package (in terms of people/conditions) actually works our similar overall? E.g. Cat+10hp =? Sib+15hp ?? I'd want to try one though to convince myself that it lives up to promises - I noted that in the PB&R article they essentially were following in some of the footsteps of last years Scottish SIB gathering ... but with MUCH more conservative distances covered.
Have you a link to that PB and R article if indeed it can be found online

Dennis
Old 10 August 2017, 07:46   #6

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I am struggling to understand why they are almost double the price of a Honwave T35AE

As Poly says it is hard to fathom prices. A perfect comparison for the Honwave 3.5AE is the near identical size/performance Zodiac 3.5m Mk.1 Classic at £2700. Can it really be worth virtually £2000 more than the Honwave?

Similar is true of the Aerotec which is £1400 more than a same length T38 Honwave.
Old 10 August 2017, 08:03   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs View Post
Have you a link to that PB and R article if indeed it can be found online

Dennis

I presume if it is online you need to be a paid subscriber. It's was two or three months ago (at least). I only buy PB&R when I am travelling so it depends if I brought it back - I might have a copy I could pass on... will have a look tonight.
Old 10 August 2017, 10:41   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I presume if it is online you need to be a paid subscriber. It's was two or three months ago (at least). I only buy PB&R when I am travelling so it depends if I brought it back - I might have a copy I could pass on... will have a look tonight.
i think you can buy the issue online/ [download] just contact them.
Old 10 August 2017, 12:02   #9

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep you can purchase each issue as an app at £2-99. It's on their website...

https://www.powerboatandrib.com/digital-edition/