Old 07 October 2015, 21:54   #1

Town: South east england
Boat name: Whoopee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 6 hp 25hp
Sib security

Hi,
just wondering what you guys do when mooring up your sib for a couple of hours on a pontoon, jetty, or river bank, while you go for lunch etc.
I ran a cable lock through outboard and fuel tank, but boat could still be taken easily enough I reckon, any other tips? Insurance aside,
Cheers A
Old 07 October 2015, 22:11   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Given that a Tealeaf can just walk away with your boat, it's a tricky one.

I generally remove the killcord and the fuel line, lock the outboard screws and hope for the best. If you have a deadeye on the transom and you weave the cable lock through that and the engine and the shore, you will deter a determined thief for approx. 10 seconds.

Insurance
Old 07 October 2015, 22:14   #3
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Given that a Tealeaf can just walk away with your boat, it's a tricky one.
As in pull it onto a pontoon and with a boxcutter knife, remove the engine and transom together in ten seconds and walk away with them.

IMO, there is no security with SIBS and not too much with RIBs...
Old 07 October 2015, 22:30   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Andy, not a particularly helpful answer but my solution is not to leave the boat ashore, out of sight, in areas where it is likely to get nicked. If I HAD to leave it out of sight in a busy town I'd do as willk suggests, and in a really bad place use a bike lock to secure a strong point to the pontoon. Of course that won't stop a determined thief, might piss off anyone who needs to move your boat, and doesn't stop the sort of vandalism that could write off a sib in 60 seconds with a Stanley knife.
Old 07 October 2015, 22:32   #5

Yes that's what I thought.. so sandwiches it is then, or if I do go for a pub lunch, make sure iv got cash for a ferry/cab home!!
Old 07 October 2015, 22:38   #6

When leaving my SIB unattended I like to leave my old man's Bull Terrier (un-fed) in the SIB.
Got to muzzle him to stop him chewing and tearing up the tubes tho!
His bark and demeanor are deterrent enough!
I then take my. 308 Ruger hunting rifle with me and set it up on its bipod and keep watchful eye from 400 yards.
Never had any issues:-)
Old 08 October 2015, 03:44   #7
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy1970 View Post
Yes that's what I thought.. so sandwiches it is then, or if I do go for a pub lunch, make sure iv got cash for a ferry/cab home!!
No just take your sib somewhere nicer!
Old 08 October 2015, 08:27   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> my solution is not to leave the boat ashore, out of sight, in areas where it is likely to get nicked.

I try and do this too. Both in the home area and on holiday in Scotland we try and operate from and visit places where there is visibility of the boat on pontoon or foreshore.

If it is going to be out of sight for a while the outboard is locked to the boat and I pull the plug leads off... but either can be quickly overcome by the determined.

I never lock the boat to a pontoon these days as I grew up with much larger craft where there were legitimate situations where others may want to move your boat and preventing this was bad form.
Old 08 October 2015, 10:29   #9

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
As others have said if someone wants it then there is not much you can do TBH except swallow the risk.

Our 'main' SIB holiday is on the Dart and when you go there and see dozens and dozens of SIB's tied up all over the place not to mention hundreds upon hundreds of RIB's/other boats on floating moorings or in marinas then it's simple to be away with anything within seconds.

I just padlock the engine clamps together as this is an insurance requirement and take/cover up anything obviously nickable.
Old 08 October 2015, 11:44   #10

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
No just take your sib somewhere nicer!
That's the one!
Relaxe....And Keep it well insured!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2015, 17:46   #11

Town: Cheshire
Make: Honwave T35ae
Engine: Mercury 15
Chill if she goes there is nothing you can do
Just make sure you are covered
Old 10 October 2015, 18:00   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I can understand why people chain / bike lock sibs / tenders to a pontoon BUT in busy areas it's really selfish as it prevents others from tying up, as these things are always on short cables.

If I'm tying on to a walk ashore pontoon - and they're normally pretty full, I use the full length of the painter to allow others to get in.

I take kill cord, anything loose of value with me , have fuel tank locked to transom and engine padlocked through the clamps.
Old 10 October 2015, 19:30   #13

Cheers for replies, looks like I'm doing all that can be done without cable locking boat to something on land. Any recommendations for an outboard tramsom lock, to cover clamp toggles? Something insurance will accept as suitable, seen some that cost 60-70 , just need one for insurance cover, as has been said earlier, a Stanley knife could remove whole transom in 20 seconds.. Thanks A
Old 15 October 2015, 02:08   #14
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Added a Keyed Switch (electrical contacts) between the ground to the kill switch and engine chassis ground. Which in effect, grounds to engine-off when keys removed. Engine will not start without either inserting the key, turning on using key or removing the cowl and manually bypassing using jumpers. Works great! Also added a small PIZO 110db alarm if engine removal is attempted with alarm switch contact mounted between keel and one of the engine mount screws. Soon to make available a very special overboard safety mechanism (all I can say for now on that.).
Old 15 October 2015, 21:31   #15
RIBnet Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post
Added a Keyed Switch (electrical contacts) between the ground to the kill switch and engine chassis ground. Which in effect, grounds to engine-off when keys removed. Engine will not start without either inserting the key, turning on using key or removing the cowl and manually bypassing using jumpers. Works great! Also added a small PIZO 110db alarm if engine removal is attempted with alarm switch contact mounted between keel and one of the engine mount screws. Soon to make available a very special overboard safety mechanism (all I can say for now on that.).
How will this stop a thief removing the engine from a keyless SIB/Tender? Or stealing both SIB and engine by land?
Old 19 October 2015, 12:22   #16
Spammer

Dunno willk.
Don't have the answers for all, that's why insurance is always a good option. The engine-start keylock AND Attempted Engine removal alarm, in itself has set backs such as keeping a charged battery onboard. Engine Start keylock helps prevent, as I said, the boat from becoming stolen property while moored.
The engine removal alarm also speaks for itself. Thought I explained all this above, did you read it?
Old 20 October 2015, 13:52   #17

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
That is pretty crazy! I've never even heard of a boat being stolen around here (Oregon, USA). I never lock anything and I've left my Zodiac moored overnight dozens of times. I never would have thought of England being so lawless. It's like you're living in the Wild West!
Old 22 October 2015, 05:12   #18
Spammer

Goodness, if someone else isn't going to say something I will. Oregon? Safe place within the usa as a rule. Travel a little east. Many of the people here are polite and use there ribs and sibs in the sea and want advice on how to help with things, such as security for their prided boat and motor. They share the questions openly and honestly here and don't need smart-ass answers. Respect their code, being polite.
Thanks DAN F
Scott.
Old 22 October 2015, 05:33   #19

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
I didn't mean disrespect, I was just really surprised to see stories of the aft end of a SIB being cut off with a box knife!

My apologies for an attempt at humor!