Just make sure you are covered

Old 10 October 2015, 14:00   #12

Town: Gloucester
Boat name: Lunasea
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzi 140
MMSI: 232005050
I can understand why people chain / bike lock sibs / tenders to a pontoon BUT in busy areas it's really selfish as it prevents others from tying up, as these things are always on short cables.

If I'm tying on to a walk ashore pontoon - and they're normally pretty full, I use the full length of the painter to allow others to get in.

I take kill cord, anything loose of value with me , have fuel tank locked to transom and engine padlocked through the clamps.

Old 10 October 2015, 15:30   #13

Town: South east england
Boat name: Whoopee
Make: Zodiac
Length: 4m +
Engine: 6 hp 25hp
Cheers for replies, looks like I'm doing all that can be done without cable locking boat to something on land. Any recommendations for an outboard tramsom lock, to cover clamp toggles? Something insurance will accept as suitable, seen some that cost 60-70 , just need one for insurance cover, as has been said earlier, a Stanley knife could remove whole transom in 20 seconds.. Thanks A
Old 14 October 2015, 22:08   #14
Spammer

Town: Southern Ontario
Boat name: -Unknown-
Make: SeaMax
Engine: Merc/Minn Kota
Added a Keyed Switch (electrical contacts) between the ground to the kill switch and engine chassis ground. Which in effect, grounds to engine-off when keys removed. Engine will not start without either inserting the key, turning on using key or removing the cowl and manually bypassing using jumpers. Works great! Also added a small PIZO 110db alarm if engine removal is attempted with alarm switch contact mounted between keel and one of the engine mount screws. Soon to make available a very special overboard safety mechanism (all I can say for now on that.).
Old 15 October 2015, 17:31   #15
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfisher View Post
Added a Keyed Switch (electrical contacts) between the ground to the kill switch and engine chassis ground. Which in effect, grounds to engine-off when keys removed. Engine will not start without either inserting the key, turning on using key or removing the cowl and manually bypassing using jumpers. Works great! Also added a small PIZO 110db alarm if engine removal is attempted with alarm switch contact mounted between keel and one of the engine mount screws. Soon to make available a very special overboard safety mechanism (all I can say for now on that.).
How will this stop a thief removing the engine from a keyless SIB/Tender? Or stealing both SIB and engine by land?
Old 19 October 2015, 08:22   #16
Spammer

Dunno willk.
Don't have the answers for all, that's why insurance is always a good option. The engine-start keylock AND Attempted Engine removal alarm, in itself has set backs such as keeping a charged battery onboard. Engine Start keylock helps prevent, as I said, the boat from becoming stolen property while moored.
The engine removal alarm also speaks for itself. Thought I explained all this above, did you read it?
Old 20 October 2015, 09:52   #17

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
That is pretty crazy! I've never even heard of a boat being stolen around here (Oregon, USA). I never lock anything and I've left my Zodiac moored overnight dozens of times. I never would have thought of England being so lawless. It's like you're living in the Wild West!
Old 22 October 2015, 01:12   #18
Spammer

Goodness, if someone else isn't going to say something I will. Oregon? Safe place within the usa as a rule. Travel a little east. Many of the people here are polite and use there ribs and sibs in the sea and want advice on how to help with things, such as security for their prided boat and motor. They share the questions openly and honestly here and don't need smart-ass answers. Respect their code, being polite.
Thanks DAN F
Scott.
Old 22 October 2015, 01:33   #19

Town: Silverton, Oregon
Make: Bombard Commando C4
Engine: 25 HP Mercury
I didn't mean disrespect, I was just really surprised to see stories of the aft end of a SIB being cut off with a box knife!

My apologies for an attempt at humor!