Old 14 June 2017, 14:43   #1

Town: new york
Boat name: rock
Make: west marine
Length: 10m +
Engine: outboard 8hp
SIB not planing

Hi all. Just bot a 10 ft. west marine RIB with a mercury 8 hp. 4 stroke outboard. Just took it out and could not get it to plan. Every time i gave it some juice ...the transom dropped to the point water started coming over the top. Anyone know how I can fix this/what I'm doing wrong? I thing maybe the inflatable floorboard and hull were not inflated enough. Some have suggested hydrofoils while others said they won't help....any ideas guys?
Old 14 June 2017, 15:12   #2

Town: Bristol
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha
You say Rib and then you mention inflatable floorboard and hull... Have you a Rib? Rigid Hull with tubes or a SIB everything inflates and having a soft inflatable hull ?

weights and balance are everything in a short craft
Old 14 June 2017, 15:15   #3

Town: Hill Head
Boat name: SolentPirate
Make: Waveline
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 25hp 2stroke
I would try shifting as much weight towards the front of the boat as possible, to get it over the hump. Also, if not correctly inflated, particularly with air floor, this will affect performance. Tubes should be 2.5-3.0 psi and floor around 6-8 psi..if those two solutions don't get you on the plane, then it may be your outboard doesn't have the power, bearing in mind it's a rib not a sib + 4 stroke. Hope that helps.
Old 14 June 2017, 15:34   #4

I have a west marine php-310 air floor inflatable boat. I was thinking that i did not have the inflatable floor/hull inflated enough to stablize the transom.
Old 14 June 2017, 15:39   #5

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
It's not a RIB.

That's a short boat and a 4S 8hp probably weighs over 30KG? Are you sitting right at the back too?

Check air pressure with a gauge, use a lighter engine and get forward!
Old 14 June 2017, 15:39   #6

Hi Liam....thks for your help. i had the weight evenly balanced btwn 2 people and items up front but as soon as i throttled up ....the transom started dropping. I think this outboard has the power considering the boat weighs 73 lbs and 3 people combined weigh 380. ....even with 1 it did the same thing
Old 14 June 2017, 15:44   #7

max....the engine weighs 70 lbs. and i was sitting in the back but had a person up front. In the boats discription it says it planes with 2 people and can plane with 1 with only 4 hp. the tramsom can hold a 10 hp engine so I think thats fine.
Old 14 June 2017, 15:50   #8

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
Have you checked where the trim pin is? If it's too far out then it will tend to push the stern down
Engine is heavy but I doubt that's your problem
As said make sure all the pressures are up to max and put the trim pin as far forward as it will go and try again
Old 14 June 2017, 16:12   #9

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
10 ft is just a shade over 3 metres. For comparison, my boat is 3.1 metres and with a 9.9 hp 4 stroke it will easily plane with 2 small adults, full fuel tank, anchor box and safety kit on a fairly calm but not completely smooth sea.

Yours should plane.

The most difficult part of planing is getting onto the plane in the first place. As the boat is moving at displacement speed (not planing) it pushes a bow wave. In order to get onto the plane it has to climb up over this wave. Once it's up there, you can usually throttle back a bit.

Therefore, you need to do what you can to reduce the bow wave and to help the boat to climb up it.

First: make sure the boat is set up properly. If the hull, floor or keel are too soft, the boat will mould to the shape of the waves rather than skimming across the top. It will push more water, make a bigger wave, and be unable to climb up and skim across the surface.

Secondly, make sure that the engine is set up properly. The engine should have about 3 possible positions of trim.

Depending on which one you choose, the propellor may be pushing water slightly up, slightly down or exactly level. If the propellor is pushing water UP, then it will push the stern of the boat DOWN, meaning that not only are you making a hump in front of the boat, but you are also making a hole behind it. This means you will never climb out of the hole and over the hump onto the plane. You need to get the trim right. Experiment with the 3 positions.

So, you can now tell your wife/partner that you have been advised that you need to get it good and rigid and then experiment with different positions.

The next thing is changing the weight distribution, and I strongly advise you NOT to suggest this to your wife or partner!

The weight that you can redistribute includes the helmsman, the crew or passengers, the safety kit, fuel tank anchor, and any other equipment you have brought along like a picnic, fishing tackle etc.

It is tempting to put the kit in the middle of the boat or near to the stern where there is more space and the floor is flatter. However, it makes a big difference if you move it forwards.

Every Kg you move forwards is a Kg taken OFF the stern and a Kg ADDED to the bow, so there is a double effect there. In view of this this double effect, moving even a litre bottle of water from the stern to the bow makes 2 Kg difference to the trim of the boat. Your fuel tank and contents may weigh 6 -11 Kg - assuming you have a remote tank.

It is best for the helm and crew to sit on opposite sides of the boat, for lateral balance, and for the crew to sit reasonably well forward. The helmsman needs to sit as far forward as possible without making it difficult to steer.

Follow these three rules: firm boat, correct engine trim, and balanced load, and you should have no trouble.

JUST a thought - and don't ask me how I know this, I just do, right? - if you have transom wheels, they don't half make it difficult to plane if you forget to raise them.
Old 14 June 2017, 16:18   #10

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Welcome to the forum Rivrunner. Take all the advice here re being at the max pressures on the tubes and floor (in particular) then shifting weight (people) at the point of trying to plane to get the bow down... then they will probably have to shift back if you plane.

Mike's info above is sound but he has 25% more power, a rigid floor and one less person. In small SIB and lower power situations those factors can make a massive difference.

From my experience of 3m SIBs and OBs of that power I'd say a short air floor SIB with three 9st folks and kit with an 8hp is not going to plane with much enthusiasm... to check the basic outfit will go OK having checked the pressures I'd lose one of the people for a trial run and if it goes OK then it is down to weight.
Old 14 June 2017, 16:33   #11

Hi bemishaken....i tried the trim pin in holes 1,2 and 3 and it didn't not make a difference....was not able to plane in any of the 3 poritions.
Old 14 June 2017, 16:40   #12

thks mike......i'll will make sure boat is max inflated and weight is evenly distributed...i too have 3 trim positions.....which one do you find the most optimal?
Old 14 June 2017, 16:49   #13

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrunner View Post
thks mike......i'll will make sure boat is max inflated and weight is evenly distributed...i too have 3 trim positions.....which one do you find the most optimal?
The engine offers the 3 trim positions because some boats have vertical transoms, some boats have sloping transoms, and not all boats have the same shape of hull. If there was a position that was always best, they wouldn't need to make the engine with 3.

Therefore, I can't tell you which is best for your boat in terms of saying1, 2, or 3.

You need to look at the symptoms then make a 1 notch change, then consider the results and see if a further change is needed.

Imagine that the engine (and therefore the transom) will move in the direction of the tiller. If the tiller is pointing high, the transom will lift and the bow will dig in. If the tiller is pointing low, the transom will be pushed down and the bow will lift up. In reality, you can't judge it by which way the tiller is pointing (up or down) but if you understand the principle, you will be able to work out which adjustment to make.

Apart from the problem with making it harder to get on the plane, it is a simple waste of power for the engine to be lifting the transom or causing it to squat.

With only 3 positions to choose from, and it being a quick exercise to change the position, I think 15 minutes of experimentation on the water should give you a good idea.

There are other considerations like whether the prop is too high or too low in the water. This is to some extent governed by the height of your transom. Outboards generally come in "standard" and "long" but transoms come in all sizes. On a small boat, if anything, the propellor is more likely to be too deep than too shallow because the transom is so small. This can be addressed with blocks to raise it, but hopefully shouldn't be necessary. Try the trim pin first.

Sorry, I missed that you said helm PLUS 2 passengers, rather than 2 INCLUDING the helm. With 3 on board, you will need to get it exactly right.
Old 14 June 2017, 16:54   #14

There is a lot of info and some long posts in this topic but in short:

Too much weight, not enough power!

Simple as that IMHO.
Old 14 June 2017, 17:07   #15

thks max n mike.....i don't think weight was a factor....i had 380 lbs evenly distributed then 190.....still pulled the transom downward when i throttled up.....
Old 14 June 2017, 17:58   #16

It's not how it's distributed - 380lbs is just too much weight full stop.
Old 14 June 2017, 18:13   #17

shouldn't be....i've seen this outboard planing and moving well with 15 ft alum boats weighting 450 lbs
Old 14 June 2017, 18:14   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivrunner View Post
Hi bemishaken....i tried the trim pin in holes 1,2 and 3 and it didn't not make a difference....was not able to plane in any of the 3 poritions.
To start off with put it in the hole closest to the transom that will either have the prop pushing straight ahead or maybe even slightly up
At a guess your problem is most likely pressure related.
You said you tried 1 up and it still wouldn't plane so it's not just a weight issue
Is it definitely a short shaft (standard shaft) motor on a short shaft transom?
Old 14 June 2017, 18:17   #19

[QUOTE=rivrunner....even with 1 it did the same thing[/QUOTE]
Not just a weight issue if it wouldn't plane 1 up!
Old 14 June 2017, 18:28   #20

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>>shouldn't be....i've seen this outboard planing and moving well with 15 ft alum boats weighting 450 lbs

Not trying to argue just help with info but inflatable boats are very poor performers (top speed) compared to any hard hull boat with a hull designed to plane.... hard hulls carry weight better too without dropping speed and some of those flat bottomed narrowish ally hulls go really well. My inflatable is 10kts slower than some hard hull boats I've had when using the same outboard. Inflatables with flat air floors can be the worse.

As I said above it doesn't mean it can't happen but you need to know you are right in the will it/won't it weight/power/size combination.

Tags
rib