Old 14 June 2017, 20:19   #1

Town: Lincolnshire
Boat name: Mousetrap
Make: Zodiac Cadet 310S
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mariner 4 stroke 9.9
Launching Lincs/north Norfolk coast

I have a 3.1 metre SIB with transom wheels and a 9.9 outboard. I assemble and inflate at the launch site - that is, I have no trailer.

I'm in Lincolnshire and, although our coast is not the most interesting and varied, it is the nearest sea. I'm struggling to find cheap and easy launch points. i don't mind wheeling it across a beach. Most of the places on boatlaunch.co.uk appear to be for trailed boats. I can't help thinking there must be some easy access to the water for a SIB outfit. All I need is basically a car park and no steps or dunes in the way.

Thinking of within an hour or so of Newark/Grantham.

Any of you have any suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 14 June 2017, 21:16   #2

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
I launch all the time from North Norfolk although the problem there is the pretty crap window of opportunity, generally a couple of hours either side of high tide.

Brancaster Harbour, Morston, Burnham Overy Staithe, etc.

They all suffer the tide window though and you need to be careful and stick to the buoyage, I've nearly lost my OB by drifting slightly out of the channel and hitting a sand bank.
Old 15 June 2017, 17:46   #3

Town: Lincoln
Boat name: Zoom
Make: Zodiac
Engine: Mariner 10
You can launch at Cleethorpes 2hrs before high water and recover 2hrs after, the slip is barriered off there is also a charge if you google Cleethorpes beach safety the detail are on there if you give them a ring they are helpful, there is also huttoft, park on the beach car park then across the beach again best at high tide and the sand is very soft google it and have a look, Morston is great and very sheltered But I bit more distance to travel
Old 15 June 2017, 22:45   #4
MCL

Town: Stamford
I keep my sailing boat at wells next the sea. The issue with the not where to launch on the north norfolk coast there are lots of places to do that (check out Burnham Overy Staithe, i think it is free) , as others have said it is the tide window.

I am able to sail 2 hours either side of high water, and draw alot more water than a SIB. Outside the channels isn't a problem but I do have an echo sounder!

If you want all tide access, nearest / quickest from you is probably one of the east coast rivers such as ore/stour.
Old 20 June 2017, 14:35   #5

Well, I set out to answer my own question today. I did a bit of map research then took the Guzzi up across the wolds to Saltfleet then worked my way down the coast road.

Saltfleet sets new records for godforsaken-ness and makes Kings Lynn look like a fun day out for all the family. The slip way there is privately owned (by a club) and looks like it is useable for 7 minutes either side of high tide.

However, there is a place called HUTTOFT TERRACE, near Huttoft. No one was charging for parking today (Tuesday) although there is a booth there. Parking is on the seaward side of the dunes and sea defences, so there is no hump to get over with the boat, and there is easy access with a trolley or transom wheels to a sandy beach.

On the downside, this may be the most featureless coast in the world.
Old 20 June 2017, 17:47   #6

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
dont know where you live in lincs but for me being next to the A1 whitby is only 2 hours drive with a slipway use of 3 hours either side of HW plenty to see up & down the coast launching into the river
Old 20 June 2017, 21:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffstevens763@g View Post
dont know where you live in lincs but for me being next to the A1 whitby is only 2 hours drive with a slipway use of 3 hours either side of HW plenty to see up & down the coast launching into the river
South of Newark, north of Grantham. Whitby's nice but a bit far for a spontaneous day trip.
Old 21 June 2017, 20:09   #8
MCL

Town: Stamford
I live in stamford and I go out on the north norfolk coast with no problems. 4 hours on the water is more than enough for me!

every ware else in south lincs is rivers with speed limits and yes rather featureless.