Old 29 July 2010, 17:47   #1

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Sack barrow for outboard stand

After seeing the rip off prices of outboard stands,im thinking of getting a sack barrow from B and Q or Wickes,any thoughts are they going to be strong enough to hold a 20hp 2 stroke mariner,once i clamp a sturdy transom board to it,be handy to cart about ,steal heavy,and most importantly will it stand after pull starting it whilst in a bin of water,frightened it will topple over on me,doing me damage or the engine,spose i could weight it down,tie it?any thoughts please
Old 29 July 2010, 18:07   #2

Town: Pasadena
Boat name: El Barco Más Rudo
Make: Avon
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 40HP
That's what I use for my 40HP (~140lbs). I bolted on a piece of 10" x 2" plank and attached some sections of angle iron to the foot plate to give it greater stability. However, I always strap the stand to a fixed upright if I leave it unattended. I have kids and it's not worth the risk of them knocking it over and getting injured (not to mention damaging the motor!)

I haven't run my motor while it's on the stand but there's no reason you couldn't -- I would recommend finding a way to secure it though.
Old 29 July 2010, 18:07   #3

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: TORA
Make: Tornado
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
Send a message via Skype™ to TUFTY
Should be ok

I use one for a smaller engine with an offcut of decking as a transom board (double thickfor a larger engine).

The trick is to position your water tub on the botton plate of the sack truck. Get the engine into the tub. This normally involves having the engine tilted up putting the leg into the tub then lowering into position.Fill up the tub to the required level. The weight of the tub of water will be plenty enough to be able to pull start the engine and stop the whole thing from toppling over.

Give it try.

Cheers

Paul
Old 29 July 2010, 18:22   #4

Town: gravesend
Boat name: curach/Earl
Make: seago/Lifeguard 4M
Length: under 3m
Engine: 3.3 marinar/10 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by TUFTY View Post
I use one for a smaller engine with an offcut of decking as a transom board (double thickfor a larger engine).

The trick is to position your water tub on the botton plate of the sack truck. Get the engine into the tub. This normally involves having the engine tilted up putting the leg into the tub then lowering into position.Fill up the tub to the required level. The weight of the tub of water will be plenty enough to be able to pull start the engine and stop the whole thing from toppling over.

Give it try.

Cheers

Paul
Many thanks gents,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,some good idea's Paul,,,,,,,,,,,,,,right im going for it to mo