Old 06 May 2016, 09:29   #1

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Rigging an Aerotec

With a beautiful forecast this weekend I finally dug the old girl out of hibernation (she doesn't look great at first but a puff of air brings her to life).

Decided to post some newer pics of how I rig mine and use every bit of space. One of the advantages of a SIB over a RIB is no console and the ability to use most of the 'deck' space to move about. Obviously this depends on how you use yours, how many people, what gear etc but for me I like it as clear as possible. This is all relative considering how narrow and confined the inside of a SIB is.

The empty void under the V floor joining panel is really useful, in there at the bow I tuck the oars in a bag - simple knot in a rope sits in the floor front V so they are easy to retrieve.

At the back is 50ft of spare anchor rope similarly tucked away and hooked to the transom.

This also make a more solid base under your feet at the blunt end.

Old 06 May 2016, 09:30   #2

One of the best features of the BAT are the full length and very strong handle lines, I find a rope with stopper knots through the front rings adds to this and is useful for manhandling, holding onto or clipping to.

At the front are two main dock lines and the dry bag tucked into the bow void.

At the rear is my 'painter' with large carabiners each end.

On the starboard seat fitting a home made bracket for compass, GPS and small dry bag - generally for water bottle etc.

Old 06 May 2016, 09:31   #3

On the fuel tank floor ties I added paracord loops to make it easier to clip on/off custom made elasticated fittings that hold the Pelicase down.

The same custom fittings are used to suspend the fuel bladder from the port rail.

Old 06 May 2016, 11:35   #4

Town: Bideford
Make: Bombard Aerotec
Length: 4m +
Nice setup, looks a lot cleaner than mine!

early tides this weekend = early start to see how far up the river torridge we can get on the top of the tide.

Simon
Old 06 May 2016, 12:16   #5

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Looks fantastic 👍
Old 06 May 2016, 14:14   #6

Nice write up and some good ideas there for BAT owners.
I do like that fuel bladder a lot. I could make good use of one on my extended camping jollies.
I'm sure you mentioned in an earlier thread that they were scarce and very expensive 😕
Old 06 May 2016, 14:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Nice write up and some good ideas there for BAT owners.
I do like that fuel bladder a lot. I could make good use of one on my extended camping jollies.
I'm sure you mentioned in an earlier thread that they were scarce and very expensive 😕
Thanks all.

Yes, brand new silly money but they do come up here from time to time. Bit of a faff to transport and more care needed when filling but useful for clearing the decks.

There was more on this boat on the link below but did not want to tack this on the end of what was already a bit of a waffly thread:

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...ady-62326.html
Old 06 May 2016, 21:08   #8

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
And as an alternative here is ours with sofa and carpet....

Assemble SIB with seat as Mrs Fenlander like a chair in the middle, and as I've said before sitting there she keeps the spray off me. Clamp transducer to transom and attach lead to grab rail with little elastic ties (tighter ones and in black now) running forward into battery bag slung under the seat which takes all the spare cable. Garmin on a piece of wood elastic mounted to seat to one side of Mrs F.

New 25l fuel tank under seat in OE position held to loops with bungees. Fuel line run back to outboard off main floor with a couple of ties to the floor straps it passes over to keep it away from feet.

Grab bag with emergency/safety items at bow hanging off extra grab line run through existing D-rings... as Max's setup.... supported at bottom by floor.

Waterproof dog bed between that and fuel tank to cushion some of the bumps from the dog's joints. Under the visible one is a narrow one sitting on the floor "flap" so it's double padded where he sits and slightly levelled out.

Finally (pictured but not in position) is our waterproofed canvas bag with anchor, chain & rope, other ropes, tow bridle, spare fuel line & bulb, spare prop & tools to change etc. This nestles under the seat between floor V and fuel tank on the opposite side to the battery bag, secured with a safety cord.

Any other clothing or food etc for that particular outing is in a larger dry bag which is placed in the corner of transom and tube opp side to my tiller position.

As we are usually a daily inflate nothing can be permanent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup4.jpg
Views:	489
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	112394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup2.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	112395   Click image for larger version

Name:	Setup3.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	112396   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kit bag.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	172.4 KB
ID:	112397  
Old 06 May 2016, 21:51   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
How come nether of you use the bow bag?
I stuff all sorts of stuff in it!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2016, 22:01   #10

Just a personal thing but...

It has the capacity to take pretty well all the bits we carry but if you put them all in there it weighs a ton and risks damaging the small d-rings. Then there's the fact I like to be able to nose onto an already crowded pontoon and step out from the bow which is harder with a bow bag in position. Plus small 18yr old daughter likes to sit on the floor right in the bow with back to the tubes out of the wind... bow bag prevents this.

So mine is bagged in the garage ready to emerge pristine as a major selling factor when we're too old for all this boaty business.
Old 07 May 2016, 15:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Hearne View Post
How come nether of you use the bow bag?
I stuff all sorts of stuff in it!
I think for me I just prefer the flexibility of different size dry bags and the ease of carrying them - also they tuck in nicely and free up room.
Old 07 May 2016, 22:19   #12

Beautiful out there today, mill pond flat at times. Launched at Rye, upriver for lunch then out to see the newly reopened pier at Hastings. My young lad and his Uncle in pics:
Old 08 May 2016, 08:00   #13

Try again:

Old 08 May 2016, 08:56   #14

What a brilliant calm day for a first 2016 outing... well judged.
Old 08 May 2016, 13:27   #15

Cheers David, that was as rough as it got, glassy most of the time. The old 15 did well with the extra 13 stone over our normal load. Also made a new anti splash deflector which worked well.
Old 08 May 2016, 20:38   #16

Town: Cambridge
Boat name: SIBylle
Make: Honda Honwave
Engine: Honda BF20
MMSI: 235915576
Looks like a great day out there Max, we too had lots of fun in the sun it did however get quite choppy in the afternoon so we had to keep the speed down when heading into the swell (or wife/daughter would have not stopped grumbling)...

I might not have an Aerotec, but my Honwave is of similar size and I'm still trying to find the perfect rigging/load carriage arrangement.

Currently using multiple dry bags and karibiners but it's not quite working for me.

Today we had picnic, lots of water, spare clothes, ringo & rope, fishing rods and a few other bits & bobs but trying to keep everything dry, clean and organised was nightmarish. And as soon as you hit the swell things quickly start moving around no matter how well strapped on they first appear.

I'm thinking one big dry bag might be the best for most things and then simply one or two smaller ones for the anchor and ringo to try and keep inside the boat dry.

The Essex/Norfolk/Suffolk mud is never going to help things either!
Old 09 May 2016, 06:49   #17

Yes, the more people and gear the worse it gets - you're the captain so insist everyone brings the bare minimum necessary and all needs to be stowed away. I use the Pelicase for anything heavy or delicate and all clothes etc go in the dry bag both are secured down so they don't bounce. Just a case of tucking everything away as much as possible and keeping the bags down to a minimum. Not easy though once skis or ringos come into play.

Mud - you wouldn't think we get any here but launching at Rye there is plenty on the slips - like an idiot I left my son holding the engine upright while we lifted the boat, as we did this we turned, the boat hit the leg and over goes my son and the 15 hp - splat - both fell right into the slimy mess, luckily no damage to either precious item.
Old 09 May 2016, 08:08   #18

The previous anti-splash plate...

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post687158

...fell off after not too long.

So made up the one below fixed to the transom wood plate, worked better than the engine mounted one for sure. It's flexible but still fairly rigid if that makes sense so won't break if knocked.

Old 09 May 2016, 23:06   #19

Kids, wife, fishing, picnic, towing... Stig you're soon going to need a bigger boat!

Fishing... I'm not a fisherman but have the basic gear.. but in the end we stopped taking it out as no-one really had patience to fish when more boating could be done.... so that cut down on one set of stuff.

Towing... well not really our thing however much fun.

Picnics... bottle of water each and a bag of jelly babies if they're lucky.

Mud... I don't care that your shoes were dry paddle in clean water until the mud is swished off before you get in the boat. Same rule for the dog.

Pic below of our setup out today... take away the lifejackets in the bow and that's about how it looks.

Neat bracket Max and I think you've pretty well narrowed it down to the design needed if a transom block won't cure it.

I really can't believe our luck that with a modest 20-25mm block there is not one jot of splash with the Suzuki DF20 and that allows the tightest/fastest of turns and quick progress in rollercoaster waves without a hint of ventilation.

I was trialling the Garmin depth transducer today on a bit of wood g-clamped to the transom in a guestimated position.... that did give rise to a little splash but more left astern than over the transom.... and I've probably got it in a bit deep.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rigged at Mersea.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	112560  
Old 10 May 2016, 07:04   #20

Looks good David, I do like a grey boat. No covering on your floor? How is the performance of the 20 now you have had it a while - WOT, cruising speed etc? And noise level at these speeds? The 2 stroke 15 is a noisy old beast...

With the anti-splash guard I ended up just mounting through the two lower ply holes and it seems fine in that position.

http://www.rib.net/forum/f50/bombard...tml#post687061