Old 11 October 2016, 09:05   #1

Suzuki df 15hp to 20hp upgrade

Hi
I was reading the previous post about upgrading a 15hp to 20hp.

I've a suzuki df 15 and I'd upgrade it to a 20 if it wasn't too expensive. Does anyone know what this involves?
The dealer local to me is selling the df20 new for 2k, so it may make more sense for me to sell my 6 year old 15 and buy a new 20.

Thanks
Old 12 October 2016, 06:59   #2

Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
Hi
I was reading the previous post about upgrading a 15hp to 20hp.

I've a suzuki df 15 and I'd upgrade it to a 20 if it wasn't too expensive. Does anyone know what this involves?
The dealer local to me is selling the df20 new for 2k, so it may make more sense for me to sell my 6 year old 15 and buy a new 20.

Thanks
In the end I could not upgrade my 15 hp mariner as it was an older model. Check with a Suzuki dealer via the serial number on your engine

Dennis
Old 31 October 2016, 05:17   #3

Town: Nottinghamshire
Make: Ranieri 15
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki DF50
Suzuki introduced the fuel injection engines in 2012 so if yours is a 2010 model it may well be feasable and as easy as a carb swop. To be sure you need to get your Suzuki dealer to compare part numbers and give you a price which should be no problem as you would probably have to buy new anyway.

If you had the newer df15 then you could more or less forget it as the engine management unit limits the peak rpm and fuel delivery and the cost of a new one would be prohibitive. If someone could reprogram it that would be perfect but I'm not aware it's been done yet. Advice from a car rechipping company would be needed.
Old 31 October 2016, 18:51   #4

Boat name: Angel-B
Make: Ex Y boat
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki 9.9HP
As far as I know, the old DF15 was the same block as the DF9.9 with an unrestricted carb. The DF20 was a bigger engine (so no upgrade 15 to 20).

The new DF15 and DF20 are the same engine but EFI, so upgrade is most likely software.

I don't know if there was an intermediate model year where DF15 and DF20 were same engine different carb.

I found the details for my engine on a US site (Browns point marine IIRC). Suggest you look there - you should be able to spot if it is 1 parts list for your age of DF15 and DF20 and then see what parts are different