Old 28 July 2017, 21:38   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
Yeah it was a bit of a squeeze. We just cook everything before we go then re heat it on the gas. Got a good cool box as well- freeze the beers before they get put it and they were still cold on the 4th day.
I'm trying to imagine how I could keep beer for 3 days....

On a cross country adventure once upon a time, a friend of mine brought cassoulet https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassoulet packed in sealed containers. It was sterile and just needed to be reheated - magic!
Old 28 July 2017, 21:50   #22

We drink rum as well willk !
Old 29 July 2017, 06:35   #23

Town: teesside
Boat name: magic
Make: humber 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: mariner 115
MMSI: 232012453
RUM!! now your talking
Old 29 July 2017, 08:50   #24

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Great little (well not so little really) trip Duggie... thanks for sharing pics.

Must admit I have a tiny amount of envy for those that wild camp as it takes away the need to *have* to return to base which is an integral part of our boating. The ability to park up and stay awhile takes some of the pressure off if conditions unexpectedly go downhill.

We only carry rations for a short period and no shelter so in the event of a problem away from others/radio contact once the small amount of water, orange juice cartons and jelly babies were gone we would soon be castaways.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:02   #25
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Fenlander, I don't carry a tent etc unless planning to be away overnight so I am not sure you are really worse off. I do usually carry a small bothy bag (a 2/3 man KISU equivalent for those old enough to remember), that or a tarp would be an easy addition to any sib kit in case they were caught out. A small tent is not really the probables to carry routinely it's the creature comforts like sleeping bag, thermorest, stove and fuel that are not really sensible to drag along on every trip.

You can design multi day trips without needing to camp though - a b&b (and check airbnb too - which are often misnamed as they often don't include breakfast), a youth hostel or bunk house, or a caravan park all enable multiday trips without carrying all the kit, and a bothy could give you a halfway house between comfort and kit.
Old 29 July 2017, 09:04   #26

Do you not fancy camping fenlander? It's not everyone's cup of tea I suppose

Yes it's true what you say. If we're away somewhere for a few days with no shops (like jura) I take the food we need for the time we plan to be away plus a big bag of pasta in case we are forced to sit it out for a few days in the event of bad weather
Old 29 July 2017, 09:25   #27
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie12 View Post
We drink rum as well willk !

Old 30 July 2017, 08:56   #28

>>>Do you not fancy camping fenlander? It's not everyone's cup of tea I suppose

It's just the logistics of carrying gin, tonic and lemons plus keeping the ice frozen. Then there's a toilet tent each, large mirror and hair dryer for teen daughter... oh so many things.

Perhaps we're wimps... or a bit precious... I don't know... but camping really isn't for us.

We realise the hassle and effort of setting up a SIB with 20hp may be something we don't want to do as the years roll on and we do look at possibilities for future boating years. Having been on one in the area of your thread the Mrs wants a Redbay ha ha but that's quite unlikely! I would be more likely to return to my earliest boating roots so our "overnight" looked more like below...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Yacht interior.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	121143  
Old 30 July 2017, 09:10   #29
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If the faff of a 20hp is too much, then all that flappy stuff, heavy anchors and tenders that keep all the sib disadvantages arent going to make your floating caravan heaven!

Fwiw, I will only camp if there is no other alternative. There is nothing fun about lying on uneven ground hoping the rain will stop long enough to go for a pee without getting soaked, and considering putting smidge on places you shouldn't because a midge bite their would be really bad!

However I am just back from several nights wild camping with Mrs P and the kids which went far better than expected. The weather helped, but actually I think the revelation was that the camping was part of the experience rather than just a shelter. So finding a site, putting up the tents, building a fire, then packing it all away were not some massive rush but actually made as much time as the journeying in between!
Old 30 July 2017, 09:19   #30

>>>then all that flappy stuff, heavy anchors and tenders that keep all the sib disadvantages aren't going to make your floating caravan heaven!

Oh we won't actually go anywhere in it... just have a pontoon space with elec hookup and varnish the topsides every other summer... like most fair weather"sailors" we see about!