Old 13 April 2015, 13:10   #1

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Length: 4m +
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
Inflatable boat rollers.

I've been thinking of buying a pair of transom wheels for my 4.2 SIB to help move it up and down the beach.
I have also read about inflatable boat rollers which seem to be a better option for me, as they appear to cope better with softer surfaces and stow away when deflated.
Does anyone on here use them and if so, can you reccomend them?
Many thanks
Jim

Old 13 April 2015, 13:42   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Ocean & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: Suzi DT200EFI, DT9.9
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Used to use them many years ago to drag our Flatacraft up the shingle beach in Start Bay.

They certainly saved the hull from damage and made the job much easier.

Nasher.

Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 04:28   #3

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Gurnard uses them
Old 14 April 2015, 05:43   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I'd have thought they'd be more of a faff if you were beach hopping, the whole inflating and deflating every time you wanted to use them, vs wheels that you can put down before ramming the beach then go walkies with as soon as you've landed. They also protect the engine at low depths when you're coming in.

But with the wheels, the pivot point is right at the back so there can be quite a bit of weight at the front for the guy pulling the boat, nothing a bit of shuffling of gear can't solve though...

But then I've never used the rollers so maybe I'm wrong. Always used wheels with my sibs and I'm very happy to continue doing so!
Old 14 April 2015, 07:21   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
For me..inflatable boat rollers are the best thing since sliced bread.

Far better than transom wheels... which I ditched in favour of the rollers

Here are some advantages of Inflatable Rollers

1 Great cheapness ..two rollers cost 40 quid..a fraction of the cost of those over inflated transom wheels.

2 A roller boat wont sink into soft sand or shingle and I can easily roll my 4.3 SIB with 25HP engine on the transom..which weights in excess of 200kg ... by myself. I personally cant do that with transom wheels.

3 You can fit an Aux Engine to the transom. (that alone is the biggest advantage for me because of the type of SIBing I do)

I beach hop as much as anyone ..but Im used to larger boats which you canít run up and down the shore..so I have no problem anchoring in either a rising or falling tide. It only takes seconds to inflate the rollers so its no flaff..I top up my SIB at the same time. I keep them deflated on the boat (they take up no room at all) I only need them for the initial launch and final recovery of the day

Oh..another advantage..kids love playing with them when swimming..but have no interest in transom wheels

Each to their own method I guess.. I have tried both wheels and rollers and I admit ...I do still use my transom wheels.

I fixed them to the drawbar of my trailer..so I can shove it easily across the shore..best place for them..but thatís only me and my ways

Old 14 April 2015, 07:55   #6

Hmm, they do look interesting!
I guess it does really matter where you use your boat.
I use some steep slipways and launch/recover in sometimes some rather large waves so for me whacking the wheels down is significantly easier, but equally I can totally see the attraction in your case.
Old 14 April 2015, 08:08   #7

I can and do go in anywhere with the rollers..there is no restrictions..well except a beach strewn with broken bottle

I have had these rollers for two years now and no punctures. The last set were canvas rollers..my father bought them around 40 years ago and we moved dingys with them every weekend. The seam blew two years ago when I had my hardshell boat on it..but cant complain for long livity they lasted the life of my father and some more

However as mentioned.. getting our boats in and out the water is not the biggest problem. A break down at sea is the biggest concern.. I just start up my aux... and Im on my way again
Old 14 April 2015, 08:16   #8

Oh right! I had imagined that they'd have been awkward to use in breakers. I think a video demonstration is required!
Old 14 April 2015, 08:17   #9

I don't have a luxury of having an aux off the back as I've got a honwave clone with trim tab things sticking out the back
Old 14 April 2015, 09:27   #10

Hi again Blootac

I have never had much a problem with them in waves?

I wear chest waders to launch and recover the boat..so Im in the water before the boat lands. If I think I will need to be quick with the first roller..it is will be blown up before landing. Its not a big job with the hand pump.. which I always carry in case of SIB leak. I also always deflate the keel so it can go as shallow as possible. Its only seconds of work and part of my launch recovery process.

Once I have the boat on the shore edge.. I just shove the roller under the front of the boat..a wave can help lift it onto the roller..or if no waves..pulling the boat ashore pulls it onto the roller. After that I pull it up the shore.. and by using the roller under the boat..I can easily pivot the SIB and get the other roller in. Eventually the first roller comes out the back and I have to stop and re insert it into the front again. IMO that is a small price to pay for the advantages of rollers

I use the trailer to get as far as I can, so it is not normally a long roll..just a couple of boat lengths.. although I sometimes roll much further if I cant shove the trailer to the sea. (If I cant shove or pull the trailer.. I doubt I could shove or pull transom wheels either)

I find Transom wheels are ok on shorter length and lighter sibs but there is no way I can lift the front of my SIB loaded with anchors and all the belongings I keep up front. The OPís boat is a 4.2meter boat too so may have the same issues as I have if he gets transom wheels ? I appreciate others make up dollies to lift the front..and get thicker tyres to go on softer sand.. but that is all expense and flaff too.

If you are launching on a busy slipway where folks are waiting.. transom wheels are probably the best option..that is the only time I would have issues with rollers

That is my experience and preference anyhoo.. no need for anyone to get them because of my preference.

Roller boats have been around for many years...they are not a new thing and have proved themselves long ago by moving heavy wooden dinghies ..SIBs are easy for them to roll