Old 13 April 2015, 18:10   #1

Town: Bere Peninsular
Make: Seasearch
Length: 4m +
Engine: MarinerMarathon 25
Inflatable boat rollers.

I've been thinking of buying a pair of transom wheels for my 4.2 SIB to help move it up and down the beach.
I have also read about inflatable boat rollers which seem to be a better option for me, as they appear to cope better with softer surfaces and stow away when deflated.
Does anyone on here use them and if so, can you reccomend them?
Many thanks
Jim
Old 13 April 2015, 18:42   #2

Town: Principalite d'Chaos
Boat name: The Nashers Revenge!
Make: Windsor Brothers
Length: 6m +
Engine: Optimax 225
MMSI: "Mmmmm SI" she said!
Used to use them many years ago to drag our Flatacraft up the shingle beach in Start Bay.

They certainly saved the hull from damage and made the job much easier.

Nasher.
Old 14 April 2015, 09:28   #3

Town: Saddleworth
Boat name: Local Hero
Make: Avon
Engine: Mercury 50hp 3cyl
Gurnard uses them
Old 14 April 2015, 10:43   #4

Town: Manchester
Boat name: Serenity,PuddleHound
Make: Avon R310,Prowave380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Johnson10,Mariner10
I'd have thought they'd be more of a faff if you were beach hopping, the whole inflating and deflating every time you wanted to use them, vs wheels that you can put down before ramming the beach then go walkies with as soon as you've landed. They also protect the engine at low depths when you're coming in.

But with the wheels, the pivot point is right at the back so there can be quite a bit of weight at the front for the guy pulling the boat, nothing a bit of shuffling of gear can't solve though...

But then I've never used the rollers so maybe I'm wrong. Always used wheels with my sibs and I'm very happy to continue doing so!
Old 14 April 2015, 12:21   #5

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
For me..inflatable boat rollers are the best thing since sliced bread.

Far better than transom wheels... which I ditched in favour of the rollers

Here are some advantages of Inflatable Rollers

1 Great cheapness ..two rollers cost 40 quid..a fraction of the cost of those over inflated transom wheels.

2 A roller boat wont sink into soft sand or shingle and I can easily roll my 4.3 SIB with 25HP engine on the transom..which weights in excess of 200kg ... by myself. I personally cant do that with transom wheels.

3 You can fit an Aux Engine to the transom. (that alone is the biggest advantage for me because of the type of SIBing I do)

I beach hop as much as anyone ..but Im used to larger boats which you can’t run up and down the shore..so I have no problem anchoring in either a rising or falling tide. It only takes seconds to inflate the rollers so its no flaff..I top up my SIB at the same time. I keep them deflated on the boat (they take up no room at all) I only need them for the initial launch and final recovery of the day

Oh..another advantage..kids love playing with them when swimming..but have no interest in transom wheels

Each to their own method I guess.. I have tried both wheels and rollers and I admit ...I do still use my transom wheels.

I fixed them to the drawbar of my trailer..so I can shove it easily across the shore..best place for them..but that’s only me and my ways

Old 14 April 2015, 12:55   #6

Hmm, they do look interesting!
I guess it does really matter where you use your boat.
I use some steep slipways and launch/recover in sometimes some rather large waves so for me whacking the wheels down is significantly easier, but equally I can totally see the attraction in your case.
Old 14 April 2015, 13:08   #7

I can and do go in anywhere with the rollers..there is no restrictions..well except a beach strewn with broken bottle

I have had these rollers for two years now and no punctures. The last set were canvas rollers..my father bought them around 40 years ago and we moved dingys with them every weekend. The seam blew two years ago when I had my hardshell boat on it..but cant complain for long livity they lasted the life of my father and some more

However as mentioned.. getting our boats in and out the water is not the biggest problem. A break down at sea is the biggest concern.. I just start up my aux... and Im on my way again
Old 14 April 2015, 13:16   #8

Oh right! I had imagined that they'd have been awkward to use in breakers. I think a video demonstration is required!
Old 14 April 2015, 13:17   #9

I don't have a luxury of having an aux off the back as I've got a honwave clone with trim tab things sticking out the back
Old 14 April 2015, 14:27   #10

Hi again Blootac

I have never had much a problem with them in waves?

I wear chest waders to launch and recover the boat..so Im in the water before the boat lands. If I think I will need to be quick with the first roller..it is will be blown up before landing. Its not a big job with the hand pump.. which I always carry in case of SIB leak. I also always deflate the keel so it can go as shallow as possible. Its only seconds of work and part of my launch recovery process.

Once I have the boat on the shore edge.. I just shove the roller under the front of the boat..a wave can help lift it onto the roller..or if no waves..pulling the boat ashore pulls it onto the roller. After that I pull it up the shore.. and by using the roller under the boat..I can easily pivot the SIB and get the other roller in. Eventually the first roller comes out the back and I have to stop and re insert it into the front again. IMO that is a small price to pay for the advantages of rollers

I use the trailer to get as far as I can, so it is not normally a long roll..just a couple of boat lengths.. although I sometimes roll much further if I cant shove the trailer to the sea. (If I cant shove or pull the trailer.. I doubt I could shove or pull transom wheels either)

I find Transom wheels are ok on shorter length and lighter sibs but there is no way I can lift the front of my SIB loaded with anchors and all the belongings I keep up front. The OP’s boat is a 4.2meter boat too so may have the same issues as I have if he gets transom wheels ? I appreciate others make up dollies to lift the front..and get thicker tyres to go on softer sand.. but that is all expense and flaff too.

If you are launching on a busy slipway where folks are waiting.. transom wheels are probably the best option..that is the only time I would have issues with rollers

That is my experience and preference anyhoo.. no need for anyone to get them because of my preference.

Roller boats have been around for many years...they are not a new thing and have proved themselves long ago by moving heavy wooden dinghies ..SIBs are easy for them to roll
Old 15 April 2015, 05:03   #11

Many thanks for your replys gents, they are greatly appreciated.

GURNARD
After reading your replies, I think I'm definitely going the roller route. My local beaches are all either soft mud or rocks of various sizes, so I think using transom wheels would be very difficult and lifting the front of the boat with my knackered back would be impossible.
My main problem now is to find a supplier, the only place I can find that sells them in the UK is Force4 but they seem a tad on the short side.
Do you find you manage with 2 ok or would it be easier with 3?
Regards
Jim
Old 15 April 2015, 07:55   #12

Hi Mixiblob

I got mine from Force4 ..they are the 400kg ones at just short of 20 quid
Length is 1.6m ..which is perfect for the 4.3 quicksilver ..think its around 1.7 meters wide.. but because the SIB tubes are round.. the bottom is less than that... so I dont need any longer. i would be surprised if your SIB was wider and 1.6 meter rollers wont work ?

I find two plenty..a third would mean more running back and forward feeding them in. We used three on the wayfarer dinghy when I was a kid. My father pulled the boat.. it was my job to feed the rollers :-D

Im just on my own now..to two is best for me. I stop rolling the SIB just before the end roller pops out the rear of the boat. ..then pull it out by hand..that way..in a windy day..its not free to blow away.

Hope that helps

Force 4 Inflatable Boat Roller - 400kgs - 160x25cm
Old 15 April 2015, 08:15   #13

Hi Gurnard,
many thanks for the speedy reply, force4 it is then, we have one locally in Plymouth.
£40 for rollers v £100 for transom wheels, a no brainer ;-)
I owe you a beer mate, cheers
Jim
Old 16 April 2015, 06:06   #14

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
This is very useful information, thanks for taking the time to post this, The Gunard. I've been contemplating inflatable rollers for some time, and they seem to have tremendous versatility over all types of terrain. The fact that they are so inexpensive makes it seem like a no-brainer to keep a couple of deflated rollers in the boat even when you don't expect to use them, just in case you might come across a situation where they would be useful.
Old 16 April 2015, 06:42   #15

What I find hard to understand is..... If you Google "transom wheels" you get hundreds of results of UK suppliers but if you Google "inflatable boat rollers" it comes up with one UK supplier...force 4!
It would appear they are not very popular in this country for some reason and to be honest, until I joined this forum, I had never seen or heard of them.
Old 16 April 2015, 07:23   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixyblob View Post
What I find hard to understand is..... If you Google "transom wheels" you get hundreds of results of UK suppliers but if you Google "inflatable boat rollers" it comes up with one UK supplier...force 4!
It would appear they are not very popular in this country for some reason and to be honest, until I joined this forum, I had never seen or heard of them.
Rubix cubes and skateboards were all the rage at one time..but seldom seen now. I loved flaired jeans as a teenager ..but when cotton became very expensive..manufacturers stopped making flairs because they used more material.

I put transom wheels in the same boat... as a fashion accessory ... why produce and sell roller boats for 40 quid when you can produce and sell transom wheels for £150.

I can buy two wheels the same as transom wheels for £30 quid out of screwfix.. so someone is making £100 for bending up the supports ... its robbery but folk are happy to pay it... most SIBers do.. not realising its like some hidden Tax on their purchase ?

Although why people are happy going to sea without an Aux engine for the sake of easy shore manoeuvrability ..is beyond me.

Thats my opinion anyhoo.. anyone can disagree if they like.

Im happy with roller boats.. but I come from a background of heavy hardshell dinghies and boats..so tend to do things more traditionally..ie knowing tides and when to land..or to anchor and how best to do it. How to navigate with map and compass. Many of these skills are lost to the convenience of things like transom wheels and GPS etc Not that there is anything wrong with that..but there is nothing wrong with the older ways either :-D

But perhaps I should start swimming before I sink like a stone... cos the times they are a changing.

I looked on u tube..and found this guy..he only has one roller.. but it got his heavy tri maran onto the beach. He would have found transom wheels as useful as I do.

Old 16 April 2015, 10:03   #17

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> I put transom wheels in the same boat... as a fashion accessory ... why produce and sell rollers for 40 quid when you can sell transom wheels for £150. I can buy two wheels the same as transom wheels for £30 quid out of screwfix.. so someone is making £100 for bending up the supports ... its robbery but folk are happy to pay it... most SIBers do.

Thats my opinion anyhoo.. anyone can disagree if they like. Im happy with roller boats.. but I come from a background of heavy hardshell dinghies and boats..so tend to do things more traditionally. <<<

You are one of the most respected sibbers on here Gurnard but in truth your adventures and several days at a time exploring are outside the norm for most of us. I too was brought up on hard boats, mostly wood and often clinker. From Canadian canoes, a GP14 sailing dinghy through to 32ft Miller Fifers and beyond.

For me in my late 50s still wanting to be able to get on the water and access remote beaches etc but avoiding the tie of anything large, moored or parked on a trailer sibs have proved to be just perfect.

And do you know the most useful modern advantages to me since I was an 8yr old in a heavy woollen jumper and no lifejacket bobbing across Jersey harbour in a tub of a grp dinghy with an oily Seagull on the back...

GPS and transom wheels!

We used rollers in my childhood for sailing boats... I seem to remember they were more like a canvas tube with inflated bladder inside? I do remember I always seemed to get muddy using them. But you're spot on for a difficult shore situation they are excellent where transom wheels would be useless.

For 99.9% of our use though transom wheels have transformed the way we can use the boat. It is often busier down south than your way and there is frantic competition at popular launch sites for any car park space near the slip or a place you can easily put in and this means getting there very early... not ideal if the tide dictates a midday/afternoon outing.

But we've sorted some great places to park slightly away from our regular launch sites so we set up in peace with space to spare and then trundle the boat containing all our kit past the mayhem and we're away in a moment. In the image attached I'm halfway down the easy 400yd trip to a shingle hard we often use. Trying to use rollers in that situation would be akin to some summer carnival activity.

Regarding cost I've had four sets of transom wheels over the years and always had them thrown in with used outfits but if I was pricing up new kit the £150 they cost adds so much useability to an outfit that might cost £3500 new they are actually great value.

Oh and GPS...

I still print out and laminate a chart of any area we operate in and of course carry a decent compass... but while the (pocket) GPS with mapping is working it adds a huge layer of safety and convenience... and hopefully will be keeping us out of trouble in your neck of the woods this summer!

BTW... and I'm whispering now... wouldn't mind a pic of the rollers deflated to see how they would pack away... not that I'm thinking they might be of use to us one day... just out of interest you understand!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Avon with transom wheels.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	104510  
Old 16 April 2015, 10:09   #18

Hey Fenlander, that looks like an Avon Rover, am I right?
Old 16 April 2015, 10:19   #19

I've walked the best part of a mile with my Avon and it's transom wheels, so much so that the wheels started melting... turns out that a lack of grease or bearings produces heat!

I was thinking last night though, for launching into a river off the side of a tow path, transom wheels would be useless whereas I can see that rollers, or a roller would probably allow this to happen without damaging the keel...
Old 16 April 2015, 10:25   #20

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Yep a 3.1 (I think) Rover with lovely varnished floor. Amazing quality boats but sold ours late last summer. We were supposed to be giving up boating for a few years but then I accidentally bought our current outfit a few weeks later so we never stopped really!

Because it is just one split pin to pull each side to take the wheels off the legs every time we've been out I take the wheels off, rinse with fresh water, dry and apply fresh waterproof grease. Pulls loads easier than dry/dusty plastic/nylon on stainless steel.