Old 12 May 2015, 13:24   #11
Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Length: 4m +
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Originally Posted by Nolandandallsea View Post

I thought I read somewhere that the bunks should sit in the groove of where the floor meets the tubes but I'm new to this and wasn't sure!

Thank you.
I believe the recommended way for supporting a traditional SIB with a solid floor is as Jyasaki describes. The reason for that is... the bunks then support the edge of the internal floor which is heavy. My own SIB is supported this way and the boat is 10 years old and been towed thousands of miles with no issues at all. The boat must weight close to 150kg with the amount of junk I carry in it.. but I donít trailer with the engine on the SIB so dont support the transom..the bunk is around 6" short

Sorry... but I have no idea how an aerotec should be supported though.. its a different boat entirely from a solid floored SIB. There is no heave floor edge to rest on the bunks.

As Chipko says... its a VERY nice trailer sure it is well up to the job..regardless how the boat is supported.

The Gurnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 12:39   #12
If it were my set up I would be looking to get as much of the underside of the Sib supported by the carpeted bunks as possible - most probably look at adding a wider strip of carpeted wood on top of the existing bunks to achieve this and adjust them to bridge support across the area between the tubes and inflated floor.
I would also give consideration to beefing up the keel support.

On my trailer my keel is supported by a plank of wood which has been shaped with wooden off cuts to the rough shape of the keel.
It has been padded and wrapped in carpet to support a fairly sizable length of keel.
As mine has an aluminium floor my bunks support the edges of floor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1431538320528.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	105348   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431538486995.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	105349   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431538536505.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	105350   Click image for larger version

Name:	1431538700270.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	105351  

kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 13:03   #13
Just looked at your pics at top of the thread again.
Didn't realise the gap between tube and inflatable floor was as dramatic. My Honwave is practically flat by comparison.
Cancel trying to bridge the gap between floor and tube.
I'd go for just supporting the tube with a wider bunk - and fashioning something more substantial to support the keel.
kaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2015, 14:30   #14
Town: GTA
Boat name: Zodiac
Make: Zodiac Futura MkIII
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
I would put those bunks right at the joint, where the floor meets the tubes. That way they are supporting both the floor and the tubes. Then I would put another pair of bunks on the outside of the tubes for additional support. That's what I did.

Northern Pike is offline   Reply With Quote