Old 13 October 2012, 13:58   #1

Town: GTA
Boat name: Seabright
Make: Seabright
Length: 5m +
Engine: 50 HP ETec Tiller
Help! Futura Mk III, 50 or 60 HP?

I've sold my old 40 Johnson and have been looking to get a 50 or 60 ETEC. They're the same weight but the 60 has a solenoid/watervalve in the exhaust to alter the tuning thereby tweaking another 10 ponies out of the same block at higher revs. I'm wondering if it might be more extra complication than its worth, but it might be nice to have the extra power.
I've found a great end of season deal on a 50. I can save well over $1,000.
I'd like to buy it but I'm wondering:
Who's running a Futura Mk III, and how big is your motor? Do you think 50 is enough, or do you really think you need 60?
All comments are appreciated. Thanks!
Old 13 October 2012, 14:57   #2

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Length: 4m +
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
If that's a 4.70 mtr sib, is rated for max 60 HP short shaft, and that's is to move it's full passenger capacity at plane. If you will be carrying less mates than going full capacity a 50 will do the job. You could invest saved $ 1,000 on a trailer.

Happy Sibbing
Old 14 October 2012, 06:07   #3

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Engine: 40hp 2 str
I'll be interested in seing what you decide on and what findings you get. At some point I will also want to upgrade my outboard for my 4.7m SIB. My short list includes the ETEC 65 Commercial (242 lbs), Honda 60 (239 lbs) or the Honda 50, which is 214 lbs (28 lbs less than an ETEC 50).

The rope start (no need for a battery), heavy duty lower end, and 2 stroke performance are aspects of the ETEC 65 that appeal to me. The high quality, reliability, and lack of horror stories of engines blowing up are the aspects of the Honda outboards that appeal to me.

I would also be curious about how the WOT performance of a 50 hp Honda would compare to that of a 50 hp ETEC. Likewise for the 60 hp Honda vs the 60 hp ETEC. I suspect that their would be a performance gap between the 2 strokes & their 4 stroke counterparts.
Old 14 October 2012, 11:51   #4

Town: Aberdeenshire
Boat name: Sula
Make: Ribcraft 4.8m
Engine: Tohatsu 70hp + aux
MMSI: 235087213
RIBase
Any reason you're moving away from Yamaha prairie tuber? The Yammie F60 is only 110kg. However I take your point about rope start, etc.
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/binary...230-466643.pdf

Regards the etec - check out Kerny's thread about the broken saddle on his 60hp.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/broken-...dle-50493.html
Old 15 October 2012, 02:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
Any reason you're moving away from Yamaha prairie tuber? The Yammie F60 is only 110kg. However I take your point about rope start, etc.
http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/binary...230-466643.pdf

Regards the etec - check out Kerny's thread about the broken saddle on his 60hp.
http://www.rib.net/forum/f36/broken-...dle-50493.html
Thanks for the heads up on the Yamaha F60. It is pretty much the same weight as the Honda 60 and the ETEC 65. It would be interesting to see head to head comparisons of these 3 on a 4.5-5m inflatable.

I have had excellent reliablilty with my 2 stroke Yamaha, and I have put it through a lot. The purpose of the upgrade would be for the extra power and the fuel economy.

I've been following Kerny's thread about his ETEC 60, and am curious as to how that will all pan out. Hopefully it is a very one off thing, and that Evinrude will take proper care of him.

The fact that the ETECs do not require a battery to operate, whereas 4 strokes and TLDIs do, is a huge consideration for me. I realize that you can rope start outboards that are normally have electric start, but my understanding is that with 4 strokes and TLDIs, is that you still need some battery power to keep them going, and if the battery is not charging, your engine will stop. Or am I incorrect about this?

I generally do not have good luck with electronic gadgetry. I use electronic items for their convenience, but would not want to be fully dependent upon them for mobility, navigation or distress calls (I always have map, compass signaling devices with me).
Old 15 October 2012, 03:16   #6

I once got stranded by a dead battery. Don't want to go through that again.
I liked my old rope start.
Tohatsus need a battery to run. The ETEC will start and run without one. I like that a lot.
Old 15 October 2012, 04:41   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Pike View Post
I once got stranded by a dead battery. Don't want to go through that again.
I liked my old rope start.
Tohatsus need a battery to run. The ETEC will start and run without one. I like that a lot.
I've also been stranded a few times using old unreliable outboards, or most recently for getting water in the fuel system (now only use premium - low & mid grade have ethanol in them). Being stranded in Canadian back country can be a bit of an ordeal. Especially when an outboard packs it in while it is snowing (as it did to me one late September) during the last 1/2 hour of light with the campsite located 2 miles across the river (which was 30 miles up river from the nearest road access landing).

Selecting an outboard that is the least susceptible to failure (and of course maintaining it properly) is of primary consideration. Given the variety of things which can cause an ouboard to fail, it is prudent to always keep emergency gear on board (that stays with the boat & is not for use at the main campsite) that will allow you to survive an unexpected overnight stay during miserable conditions.
Old 26 October 2012, 00:54   #8

I've done it. Put a deposit on the 50. Had to pick a prop, so I'm going to try a 17 pitch Viper.
I hope that works. Anyone tried one?
Old 26 October 2012, 05:44   #9

Congratulatios with the purchase! I suppose I'll have to waut until spring before you can report the results.

Old 26 October 2012, 11:43   #10

Thanks! I'm hoping to get one or 2 test runs in before the lake gets hard. I'll let you know.