Old 13 October 2012, 09:16   #1

Length: under 3m
new sib

good morning

I have looked through many many pages of threads on this forum, and whilst I realise my question may have been answered I cant find these answers!!

I have a caravan close to a single/sand beach, the access to the sea for a boat is about 400 meters along the cliff path (none of it steep)

I have a tohatsu 3.5 outboard (two stroke)

I have yet to get a sib

I would like to fish, very occasionally swim from the boat.

95% of the time it will be me alone in the boat

I realise I need to keep the weight of the boat and engine down as much as possible with this in mind I have got a lightweight engine but now need to match a sib to this. I have looked at honwave and similar and I am leaning towards a 2.7m with an airdeck.... questions

1/ I know an ali/slatted deck adds weight but is this extra weight compensated for by better performance/ flat floor for storage

2/ talking performance.. I have seen a few videos of people planing with a 3.5 hp.. is this realistic or just an occassional lucky occurance?

3/ is 2.7 a sensible size.. obviously I am keen to keep weight down

4/ how easy is it to anchor up and swim from these boats? there are some great snoorkelling places easy to access from a boat but not so easy from shore, but I worry how easy it is to pull myself back into the boat with noone else onboard.

many thanks
Old 13 October 2012, 09:34   #2

Town: Thornbury
Make: Avon Searider 4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 50hp tohatsu tldi
well I had a 2.6m with 4hp and that easily got on that plane at 3/4 throttle. You can't under estimate these these little motors! A 2.7 should be fine on that, but you could get away with a 3m and still plane think. As far as swimming off the boat, I always do it in the small bays and go snorkeling, just make sure the anchor is in right!!!

Henry
Old 13 October 2012, 11:15   #3

Make: aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
if you search on ebay for a rib step , its a material strap to aid getting back on board or you could fashion a crude one
Old 13 October 2012, 11:25   #4

Town: Ashton-under-Lyne Lancs
Boat name: IMOGEN
Make: Air-Craft 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki df70a
MMSI: 235087492
RIBase
Send a message via Skype™ to kerny
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey View Post
if you search on ebay for a rib step , its a material strap to aid getting back on board or you could fashion a crude one
Think it might be this one

Rib step inflatable boat boarding ladder for ringo wakeboard water ski or MOB | eBay
Old 13 October 2012, 15:19   #5

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
1-If portability and ease of assembly an air deck is better, slated performs poorly, rocks too much. Air deck is completely removable and foldable. Just watch out with hooks, sharp objects. Can add a trimmed carpet following air floor contour, just in case.

2-3.5 Performance, will depend entirely on your weight & deck ballance, and how well you have that sib inflated too.

3-2.70 mtr is too small and basic will bore you soon, go for at least a 3 mtr sib, the size weight difference is minimum, small engine will push better a larger sib than a shorter one, less hull drag.

4-Add a portable ladder as shown, or take you fins with you, when finished place yourself side of tube and boost with fins, like flipper does and you will be safely in.

Happy Sibbing
Old 13 October 2012, 16:49   #6

great replies many thanks, I never knew about the rope ladder thingy.

I am a bit confused about the size now, I was going for a 2.7m ish as thought the lighter weight would give the engine more chance, if however a 3m might give better performance or infact the same then I would happily go bigger.
Old 13 October 2012, 18:54   #7

Town: Nuneaton
Boat name: ribbit
Make: ring
Length: 6m +
Engine: opti 150
you already have the engine ,so yep a smaller sib is quicker ,lighter and cheaper, though i think your better off with a 3.2m as you can put a 15 on the back ..happy sibbing
Old 13 October 2012, 19:01   #8

Velocity Marine 2.3m inflatable boat | eBay i have one of these boats and can recommend them , they are chinesed badged i believe but good quality...it will prob go for peanuts and can take a 4hp ....remember this game is addictive i started with a 1.5hp yam and quickly progressed to a 15 lol
Old 13 October 2012, 19:27   #9

http://www.rib.net/forum/f10/100-sib...tml#post493471
Old 13 October 2012, 20:45   #10

Town: Lima-Peru
Boat name: Nautile
Make: Sea Rider 450 Rib
Engine: Tohatsu 5/18/30 HP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingosucks View Post
[Marine 2.3m inflatable boat l
If Nigrid is/was after a 2.70 why do you recommend a 2.3 mtr sib ? At sight remove the large V tube bow portion, how much available straight portion is left towards transom ? that fun size model stinks, stay away from them or repent forever.

Happy Sibbing
Old 13 October 2012, 23:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locozodiac View Post
If Nigrid is/was after a 2.70 why do you recommend a 2.3 mtr sib ? At sight remove the large V tube bow portion, how much available straight portion is left towards transom ? that fun size model stinks, stay away from them or repent forever.

Happy Sibbing
hell i wouldn`t recommend anything less than 3m pumping on a 15hp
but for something cheap on a 3.5,that is really easy to wheel down a gravel path and embankment from ones caravan ,i`m sure it would be enough to get some snorkel time in without breaking the bank
Old 23 October 2012, 00:26   #12

Make: ProShore 2.9
Engine: Mercury 4HP
I have a 2.9 m aero deck with a ply floor ( Dogs claws) and a 4hp mercury 4 stroke and it goes a treat, easy and quick to assemble as I have to pack it away every time when not used. Perfect size for taking when going away for weekends towing a caravan I also would say don't go any smaller than 2.7
Old 23 October 2012, 18:37   #13

I've just bought a Honwave 3.0m with ally flooring, live on Guernsey so lots of places for me to take it out and do some fishing/exploring the coastline. Would anyone recommended taking it out in the open water. Lovely little island 3 miles off the coast and it would be great to get across there on flat calm days. Just wanted some opinions.
Old 23 October 2012, 21:49   #14

Town: cornwall
Boat name: nothing
Make: rib eye 430
Engine: tatsu 50
MMSI: 666
I had a 2.7 air deck with a 3.5 tatsu . It would be perfect for an easy launch fishing boat .
It almost got on the plane with my 8 yr old daughter driving it alone , and went ok with 2 in it . about 8mph i would guess . It handle 3 people fine but was cramped .

I really regret selling it now iam doing more fishing and need an easy launch boat .
Old 24 October 2012, 00:22   #15
Gaz

Town: Poole
Boat name: Spearfisher
Make: Bombard
Engine: Outboard
This Bombard is on ebay at the moment. If memory serves they weigh about 43kg, and it looks as though you get a set of launching wheels to get it to and from the beach. Hurry though, as the auction is due to finish very shortly.

3.8 Bombard Aerotec Inflatable Boat With 18hp Tohatsu And Trailer | eBay

Old 24 October 2012, 02:29   #16

Town: vancouver
Make: Seamax
Engine: Outboard Gas/e-troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leming227 View Post
I've just bought a Honwave 3.0m with ally flooring, live on Guernsey so lots of places for me to take it out and do some fishing/exploring the coastline. Would anyone recommended taking it out in the open water. Lovely little island 3 miles off the coast and it would be great to get across there on flat calm days. Just wanted some opinions.
easily doable. i did 15 miles on my 3.2m SIB with 15HP engine in half an hour across open ocean. i typically do 40 or so miles every weekend.
make sure you have a ditch kit/pfd, decent motor that will plane and check the weather before you go. also file a trip plan with someone you know.
run the engine on plane at half to 3/4 throttle and dont be afraid to abort if you see rough weather coming in.
Old 24 October 2012, 09:43   #17

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
some great advice there I have a 3meter with a 6hp johnson but I dont go to far out maybe when I get used to it I will venture a bit further but of llandudno I have some fun around the orm's, and I agree with zurk I was out and the weather turned but I was soon in
Old 24 October 2012, 17:08   #18

Town: Wrexham
Quote:
Originally Posted by slate1234
some great advice there I have a 3meter with a 6hp johnson but I dont go to far out maybe when I get used to it I will venture a bit further but of llandudno I have some fun around the orm's, and I agree with zurk I was out and the weather turned but I was soon in
Sorry to hijack the thread for 1 second.. Where do you launch at Llandudno?
Old 24 October 2012, 18:05   #19

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxmrich

Sorry to hijack the thread for 1 second.. Where do you launch at Llandudno?
X2 ?
Looked there last week but could only find the RNLI slip
Old 25 October 2012, 07:42   #20

Town: abergele
Boat name: all mine
Make: ribtec 3m
Engine: tohatsu 9.8 hp 2st
I just carry my sib down the beach then the outboard, I like to launch at pensarn but some council bloke stoped me and we had a bit of a row he also said my self inflating life jacket (150nt) was not suitable and my hand held cobra VHF wasn't suitable he was just a d..k I have a freind who works full time for the RNLI and he said everything I had was ok and I know who's advice I will be takeing, but he said after the 27th of sep he finishes for the season, so I have been launching from the beach there last few time I have been fishing, but no fish lol