Old 28 June 2014, 17:13   #21
Town: Oop North
Length: 3m +
Originally Posted by Landlockedpirate View Post
It looks a lot like a Aerotech

There is so much difference in pressure washers, a 50 quid one from Lidl isnt going to harm it but a commercial Karcher could cut a sib in half

Yes it's an Aerotec, and it was a cheapo Wickes pressure washer that did the damage.

stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2014, 17:45   #22
RIBnet admin team
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Done it pal just putting pigeons to bed
You missed one:

This pigeon is just tickled pink with Bettystown -

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 15:35   #23
Town: Herne Bay
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Superb topic, thanks very much for posting as this is exactly the reason (as per the 'Which SIB'?) sticky so many of us always advocate buying a used big name SIB and popular engine. If you don't get into 'it' you can sell them on at virtually no cost and at least you have given it a go.

Boats are a right royal PITA and faff at times and often the effort doesn't seem worth it (loading it all up, dragging up and down a beach, too choppy when you get there, load it all up again, wash it, flush it, dry it, pack stuff away.......etc), hence the popular saying about the happiest days of a boat owner being the day he buys the boat and the day he sells the boat...

But the good days make up for it and as you say you're doing something different with the kids while so many stare at a telly or video game screen all weekend...

Would you consider copying your first post into the sticky as above as it's a valuable lesson as much as any other.

I would spilt all your gear up and sell, you'll do much better that way.

One other point is that small 2 strokes are noisy and if running at displacement speeds stick to 4 kts or so, the gains at 5 or 6 are not worth the huge increases in noise.

Also fit a floor mat of some sort, the non slip deck of SIB airfloors holds onto dirt terribly. Tubes are relatively easy to keep clean though.

I am looking to buy my first SIB/ outboard soon, having read the sticky post regarding SIB's and some insight from Landlockedpirate I am now scouring the second hand market for a 3.4-3.8m SIB and 2 stroke 15hp outboard,

Having read this post, would I be right in saying 2 strokes are louder than 4 strokes (of an equivalent hp), is it really that noticeable?

T4bus mentioned that on the river it was noisy, so does the same apply on the open sea, or is it more down to the speed you are required to travel on rivers?

I intend to use mine (when I get it) mostly at sea as we live by the coast, but I can see it being used on a local river too.
ramarchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 16:02   #24
Town: Southampton
Boat name: Searider / War Shot
Make: Avon / Scorpion
Length: 4m +
Engine: 30hp Yam / 150hp opt
6 or 7 knots is simply the "wrong" speed.

At 4 knots the boat will be at displacement speed with the engine barely ticking over.

Flat out the boat will be doing 20 knots and the noise will be all part of the fun.

At 6 or 7 knots the noise will be just the same as flat out but without the fun.
Searider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 16:08   #25
Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Yes, they are noisy and you sit right next to them. Like being sat next to an annoying little scooter or a lawnmower etc...
Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 16:26   #26
Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Length: 8m +
Engine: Inboard
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Yes, they are noisy and you sit right next to them. Like being sat next to an annoying little scooter or a lawnmower etc...
The noisier they are, the faster they go and the bigger the grin factor.
Landlockedpirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 July 2014, 17:27   #27
Boat name: Uh...a kayak?
Length: 4m +
My two stroke is slightly bigger than what you are looking at, but when running at speed without ear plugs it leaves a buzzing in my ear. If it is just me in the boat and I am covering ground, I put in ear plugs. I am sure the sound level is above the USA's OSHA standard. Too loud!

Peter_C is offline   Reply With Quote