Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 05 June 2011, 14:35   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
First Voyage!... a little slooow.. :-(

Bought an old model 15hp Mariner 2 stroke and fitted to a Quicksilver 340 Airdeck.

Had the engine serviced at a local marina (...couple of hundred quid!). They told me the cylinder power was ok and I therefore expected the boat to get on the plane pretty easily with me and my 15 year old lad in it.

It didn't!... so instead of now thinking of pulling my lad in a ringo...I'm frustrated and shitting myself at the thought of having to save for a bigger engine...

Only thoughts were that maybe I hadn't got the engine trim right..or maybe could have squeezed a few more cubic cm of air into the tubes... could they make a real difference or is it all about base outboard power?

Any tips for how to get the bugger on the plane guys?

.. maybe chuck my son off ? LOL!

Thanks once again for all your valuable advice, which I have valued so far as I stumble into Sibbing!

xxx
Ferryden
__________________

__________________
ferryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 14:38   #2
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryden View Post
Bought an old model 15hp Mariner 2 stroke and fitted to a Quicksilver 340 Airdeck.

Had the engine serviced at a local marina (...couple of hundred quid!). They told me the cylinder power was ok and I therefore expected the boat to get on the plane pretty easily with me and my 15 year old lad in it.

It didn't!... so instead of now thinking of pulling my lad in a ringo...I'm frustrated and shitting myself at the thought of having to save for a bigger engine...

Only thoughts were that maybe I hadn't got the engine trim right..or maybe could have squeezed a few more cubic cm of air into the tubes... could they make a real difference or is it all about base outboard power?


Any tips for how to get the bugger on the plane guys?

.. maybe chuck my son off ? LOL!

Thanks once again for all your valuable advice, which I have valued so far as I stumble into Sibbing!

xxx
Ferryden
It Sounds like trim to me mate.
__________________

__________________
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 14:50   #3
Member
 
lockieboi's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: kent
Boat name: SIBotage
Make: Prowave
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp Johnson 2 smoke
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 435
Something definantly isnt right.

My 3.2 airdeck got on plane easy with a 9.9 2 stroke even with 3 of us in it!!

Are the tubes and floor pumped up correctly? On my first trip mine sort of buckled in the middle because the tubes wernt pumped up hard enough.

With regard to trim ive never adjusted it, just left it how i got it really which is in the most straight position if that makes sense.

Also may be worth shuffling the weight about abit, try and get in the middle of the boat.

Good luck mate.
__________________
lockieboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 14:54   #4
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
There should be no problem getting on the plane.

As stated by Timo - probably trim position - experiment, but higher until the prop slips/ventilates while accelerating, then back down a notch.

Air pressure - Absolutely Critical, especially in the airdeck and keel.

Tiller extension - It's important to be able to shift the weight forward to get on the plane - you can move back a bit once you are up. You can make one up from white sink waste pipe to see if it helps. A telescopic unit is handy, if/when you buy one.

I can plane mine with a donegaldan, fuel and a bag of ground gear on board. You should have no probs so
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 15:05   #5
Member
 
Country: USA
Town: Brooklyn NY
Boat name: Red Rover
Make: Saturn 340
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outbd 15hp Johnson
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 59
Have the same set up. Mercury Quicksilver 340 and Johnson 15hp two stroke. You should be getting on plane almost instantly. In all honesty even when the weight is not perfectly distributed, it is the difference between a split second and a second and a half. It just "pops" up on plane. Are you sure your prop is in proper nick? I had to switch mine due to a slightly spun hub that only gave way under full throttle. I now have a three blade Solas 9.25 X 10 and I love the combination of get up and go and top speed (21mph on Hummingbird 585c combo fish finder/gps). I still get 17 to 18 mph with two on board. I am using the bottom hole on trim (engine closest to transom) and engine sitting directly on transom (not raised at all). Minimal splashing and none comes over the splash guards while under way. Using a Bravo pump but honestly I think it is a bit inaccurate compared to the two way that came with the boat. I usually top off with the two way (for the floor). Hope you get it sorted out. It is a sweet combination. I often lust after the 380 Aerotec but from what I have been able to glean, we only give up performance on less than flat seas. Absolute speed difference (all other things matched) is less than 2 mph.
__________________
Sinistre1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 15:12   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Can it really make that much of a difference?..

I thought the prop may have been tilted too much down in the water as the stern wave behind seemed pretty high...the bow didn't lift right up either though...?
__________________
ferryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 15:16   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistre1 View Post
Have the same set up. Mercury Quicksilver 340 and Johnson 15hp two stroke. You should be getting on plane almost instantly. In all honesty even when the weight is not perfectly distributed, it is the difference between a split second and a second and a half. It just "pops" up on plane. Are you sure your prop is in proper nick? I had to switch mine due to a slightly spun hub that only gave way under full throttle. I now have a three blade Solas 9.25 X 10 and I love the combination of get up and go and top speed (21mph on Hummingbird 585c combo fish finder/gps). I still get 17 to 18 mph with two on board. I am using the bottom hole on trim (engine closest to transom) and engine sitting directly on transom (not raised at all). Minimal splashing and none comes over the splash guards while under way. Using a Bravo pump but honestly I think it is a bit inaccurate compared to the two way that came with the boat. I usually top off with the two way (for the floor). Hope you get it sorted out. It is a sweet combination. I often lust after the 380 Aerotec but from what I have been able to glean, we only give up performance on less than flat seas. Absolute speed difference (all other things matched) is less than 2 mph.
Many thanks... this does suggest that the engine/prop power is letting me down...
__________________
ferryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 15:18   #8
RIBnet admin team
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 12,924
RIBase
Hard to say....

But if your motor was in the lowest position, your airdeck was a bit soft, you were sat at the back and yer son is a girt big lump, then yes, I think it could impede your progress somewhat

If the prop isn't knocked all to hell and the motor isn't over revving, then leave it until last - check the other stuff first, it's free.
__________________
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 15:56   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Inkberrow
Make: Quicksilver 340 AD
Length: 3m +
Engine: 1992 Evinrude 20HP
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 109
OK Guys... thanks... I'll be trying EVERYTHING that's being suggested by you all...

I didn't know if I needed a mechanic or a psychiatrist to talk to...but this forum acts as both!

Cheers!
__________________
ferryden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 June 2011, 16:10   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Length: 4m +
Engine: twatsu 40
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferryden View Post
OK Guys... thanks... I'll be trying EVERYTHING that's being suggested by you all...

I didn't know if I needed a mechanic or a psychiatrist to talk to...but this forum acts as both!

Cheers!
Mate ,, i seem to be in the same boat as you i`m sure its all teething issues for us both,, just gotta stay with it and soak up the good advice
__________________

__________________
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.