Old 09 August 2011, 12:01   #1

Make: Zodiac
Length: 3m +
Engine: 9.9 Hosses!
What do I need to get started?

Hello

I am currently looking for a nice SIB for myself to use, It will be around 3 - 3.5M with a 15hp on it, Hopefully I can buy new but have also been looking at some used ones on ebay and the for sale on here as well, My budget for this is about £3000 or if buying used then about £2000, I am swerving towards new at the moment as I am not too keen on going out on the boat with an engine of unknown quality.

My use will mainly be on the sea around East Anglia area, I hopefully am past the point of wanting to go out in really bad weather but also am quite aware of how unpredictable the weather can be as well.

The boat will mainly be used for 2 people but also possibly 3 adults and one child so needs to be ok for that as well.

To the point my question is what other items I will need to carry on board or have, I am figuring on another £1000 for these bits. So my list so far is as follows.

3 adult life jackets, Auto inflating? with Harness ??
1 Childs Life jacket definitely auto inflating! With Harness ??
First aid kit
anchor?
flare kit??
wet weather gear?
Tool kit?
Insurance?

I dont want to spend hundreds on stuff that I wont need but also dont want to be a liability to anyone else on the water and if anything does happen want to know I have done all I can too keep those on board safe.

This list I am sure is not exhaustive just wanted to get some good advice before i started putting together my wish List.

Regards

Nick
Old 09 August 2011, 12:15   #2
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Hi Nick, welcome to SIBnet.

Some of the equipment and safety stuff is discussed on this thread.

You will need lifejackets and they should have crotch straps. If the child is very young or unhappy in water, I'd suggest a foam type lifejacket - they can't fail and don't suffer accidental deployment

Insurance really is sensible in this modern world - expect to pay about £50-70 - try craftinsure.co.uk and remember, you're a small motorboat, not a RIB or speedboat

If you're going to sea, I really would recommend a handheld VHF (second hand is fine if it works) - a mobile phone is a must obviously, but a VHF puts you in the game when it comes to marine comms.

Wet weather gear - it's always wet weather in a SIB. Dress for your activity.

Enjoy!
Old 09 August 2011, 12:15   #3

Town: dawlish
Make: avon searider/bom380
Engine: merc 50 2 stroke
spare fuel line is always good to carry , personnallyboat engine wise , i would look 2nd hand for a boat there are a few that are as good as new and taken the intial big hit in losses on buying brand new
Old 09 August 2011, 14:04   #4
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Nick - you don't need a harness on your life jackets, that is a sailing thing (they like to fall off the sides and then be dragged along in the water).

If you've not already done so, then take part of your budget and go and do an RYA Powerboat level 2 course. It will help give you both confidence and competence which should keep you out of trouble! It will also discuss the 'essential equipment' to carry. The good news is that even doing that you shouldn't get to £1000.

As for the child's lifejacket (and this may also apply to adults who are not strong swimmers). Gas inflation life jackets are not 100% reliable. Imagine the child falls over into cold water unexpectedly. How confident are you that if it doesn't autoinflate they will be calm enough to find and pull the red toggle? If they pass this test and nothing happens, will they be able to tread water long enough (in all their kit) to open the velcro on the jacket and blow into the mouthpiece to fully inflate. If NOT then foam is the way to go.

Auto is the way to go for competent swimmers, if you are worried about accidental inflation then a buoyancy aid may be more appropriate (warmer too). How appropriate they are for your type of boating will be for your own judgement - they are recommended for use in sheltered water where help is likely to be close at hand.
Old 09 August 2011, 15:02   #5

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Engine: 40hp
are you definite about it being a SIB?
I spent £2k for a SR4 (the only boat this forum allows you buy as your first rib ) and with your budget you could have a mechanic service the engine / do a PB2 course and buy safety kit - all within your 3K budget - and end up with a very seaworthy boat

just speaking from the point of enjoying my new toy!

Alasdair
Old 09 August 2011, 15:17   #6

Town: Oakland CA
Be on the water enough and you're going to get wet. Adults can [usually] deal with it OK, but kids get cold quickly. A wool blanket (or synthetic that keeps its insulating properties when wet) to wrap the kid up is a good idea. Alternatively a really large jacket. And a thermos of cocoa (nothing like a cold, whiney, wired-up kid.)

FWIW, most safety stuff is idle crap that you don't need 99.9% of the time, but when you do need it, it comes in really handy. Sometimes it's a necessity.

Of course, the other side of that coin is that you can easily fill 3 or 4 boats with stuff for emergencies that that could conceivably occure but will most likely never happen. It's all a balancing act between risk and preparedness (sort of like anything else in life, I suppose.)

jky
Old 14 August 2011, 17:56   #7

Town: midlands
Boat name: robeena
Make: honwave
Engine: twatsu 40
I have everything you need right here fella,, honwave t40 and 40 hp tohatsu 2011 boat 2006 motor ,, anchor lifejackets ropes outboard motor lock etc etc . This motor is excellent and never missed a beat,, recent service and impellor,, the boat has only seen water 4 times too ,, i need £2600 for the whole lot which i think is a very good price.
TIMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 12:45   #8

Town: Hilton-of-Cadboll
Length: no boat
Quote:
wet weather gear
I describe my sibbing as a 'water sport' rather than 'boating'.

SIBs are fun but you have to be prepared to get wet. Drysuits will keep you warm and dry and you will therefore get much more fun from your SIB. Also IF you ever end up in the drink for more than a few minutes a dry suit will be a lifesaver!

Here is 'yours truly' modeling a Ravenspring drysuit whilst 1/2 mille of the east coast of Ross-Shire with Roackfield in the background.

Keith Hart
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3094.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	61802  
Old 20 August 2011, 14:52   #9

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
HI I have a 3.8m Bombard with a 15hp 2st this is a great package if you want to be able to pack it up & put it in the back of the car outboard 36kg & boat 41kg will do about 18knots & lots of full
I would NOT look at a 4st at they are just too heavy!

But I also have a SR4 with a 50hp 2st on it, bought with in your budget & it is just totally different ball game in terms of comfort & ride! I have used the 380 Aerotec for towing the kids ringoing but it has plenty of power but for me in the boat bouncing around it is not much fun there as the searider can even pull me water skiing & is a much more better ride all round!
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 14:54   #10

Town: Bucks
Boat name: Blue & Ding Dong
Make: Ribeye,SR4 & Bombard
Length: 6m +
Engine: 115,50 & 15Hp Yams
My sib & rib
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1833910220.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	61803  
Nick Hearne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 August 2011, 20:32   #11

Length: 5m +
How comfortable are the SR4 car style seats when it gets a bit bumpy, are they still OK even though you can't brace on your legs as you can on a jockey seat or when sat on the tubes?