I took my boat out for the first time and decided to take it out into the ocean. I will say the inflatable was a beast to setup and disassemble every time but I realized I forgot my Bravo pump the moment I unpacked the boat. I had a blast though.
A few issues that I ran into. I'm running a 14 foot boat with a 15 HP 2 stroke. This was extremely difficult to plane. I could get it, but after catching a good wave or literally scooting as forward as I possibly could to where my hand was barely on the tiller. Seemed dangerous. I also had 6 gallons of fuel and some other gear (maybe 25 lbs) near the bow.
Somewhat frustrating as when I had it at maybe 80% throttle doing 16-17 mph, the boat was somewhat manageable but a little squirrely. However, if I caught some bad waves, the boat would lose plane and it would take me another 15-60 seconds to gain plane again. I'd only get maybe 30-60 seconds of planning and would run into this issue.
At WOT, this thing was downright scary. I was hitting about 20-21, but it's all OVER the place. Hard to even maintain a straight line. And at times I just thought the floor or transom was going to snap in half. I would ultimately slow down as I was destined to be bucked off at some point. Not if, but when.
I have not messed with the tilt on the motor, as I was starting to get tired so I headed in. I'll adjust that next time to see if that helps. The waves weren't bad, maybe 2.5 foot swells. Somewhere around there. So...
- Does anyone have suggestions for me? I've done some research but wanted to know if anyone had some other tips or tricks.
- Also, how do you guys stay comfortable? I was on there 2 hours and was exhausted. It's extremely awkward sitting on the tube with few ways to brace yourself. I even tried sitting in the floor and just was getting tossed around.
- Suggestions on how to get to plane quicker? As mentioned, I'll try the tilt on my motor to see if that helps. My boat would just squat at WOT.
- Lastly, is it unusual for you to have to have the tiller at an extreme angle while trying to gain plane? I'm guessing because of my weight on one side of the boat?
- Thanks! Ridiculously long post, so thanks for reading.