Old 30 May 2013, 09:32   #1

First proper sib help

Hi everyone,

I'm currently looking at getting my first proper sib, at the moment I'm trying to get a honda marine t35. Any head up on these would be great.

I know it can take up to a 20hp which is what I would like but is a short or long shaft outboard best.

With my smaller 2.5 sib I've got a small 3.3hp short shaft but I was wondering would a long shaft be better for a larger boat?

Also if anyone could give me a information on other decent sibs which are above 3 meters and able to go out into the sea safely. I wish to fish from the boat so a hard floor is a must also i want to use it for fun such as with a donut.

I don't suppose anyone knows what the robe is called which connects to the boat and then to the donut.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thank you

Morgan
Old 30 May 2013, 09:37   #2
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Definitely short shaft it will perform better. Long shaft tend to cause splashback. Have a look at Bombard.
Old 30 May 2013, 10:50   #3

Town: coventry
Make: bombard
Length: 3m +
Engine: outboart 25 hp
Bombard 380 Aerotec with a 25 don't be put off it may have a air floor but I have had it for 11 years and fish off it never had any problems I also pull a donut with my sons on 14 and 15 stones only 1 at a time .it is also a lot more stable than most normal inflatables hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	80751  
Old 30 May 2013, 11:25   #4

Thanks for that AJ, I've just had a quick look now and what do you think about the zodiac 3.5 mk2? Would you say these are better than the honda marine t35?

The only thing I can see different is that the zodiac can take up to a 40hp instead of the Honda which can take a up to a 20hp

Thanks

Morgan
Old 30 May 2013, 11:26   #5

Thanks for that Tom, that sound perfect for what I want! I just worry about hooks with the inflatable floor!

I will check them out now and see what there like

Thanks

Morgan
Old 30 May 2013, 11:45   #6
AJ.
RIBnet supporter

Town: Warwickshire
Boat name: Impulse
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by morgan968 View Post
Thanks for that AJ, I've just had a quick look now and what do you think about the zodiac 3.5 mk2? Would you say these are better than the honda marine t35?

The only thing I can see different is that the zodiac can take up to a 40hp instead of the Honda which can take a up to a 20hp

Thanks

Morgan
I honestly couldn't tell you as I only have a diddy SIB. I have seen the Bombard as PeterM on here has one and it is as previously posted a nice stable SIB. I know some people on here put old carpet on the airdeck to prevent punctures
Old 30 May 2013, 12:15   #7

Town: Royal Wootton Bassett
Length: 8m +
Engine: 250
Bombard 380 for sure even my mum had a go in PeterM's yesterday! It was awesome 4 up with a 25 short shaft
Old 30 May 2013, 13:35   #8

Thank you for all your feedback but I'm still unsure.

I do really like the honwave t35 but I also like the bombard. There is one up for sale at the moment with a solid floor as I'm unsure about the inflatable floors and wish to continue with a solid floor.

Would both these boats be able to attach a donut to the back with an 15-20hp outboard?

Some places which I've read say the honwave is slightly better than the zodiac.

I have seen a zodiac funtua mk 2 which looks quite nice, what are these like compard to the 380 and the t35?

Thank you

Morgan
Old 30 May 2013, 13:42   #9

You should contact PeterM, he has a spare bombard 380 in grey! You never know, he might let it go???
Old 30 May 2013, 13:47   #10

Town: coventry
Make: bombard
Engine: outboart 25 hp
all the boats you are looking at are good all I can say in favour of the bombard that I have got is the when the sea gets rough the bombard is properly the best of the bunch as the deep v hull gives it the advantage it respond's more like a rib
Old 30 May 2013, 14:13   #11

I've got an ex RNLI Y Class and it's awesome if you can find one, the only disadvantage it really needs a trailer although some on here use an estate car....
Old 30 May 2013, 16:00   #12

Town: Newcastle emlyn
Boat name: Bass nymph
Make: honwave 3.5
Engine: 15hp parsun 4 stroke
Honwave

Hi there. I have the t35 ally floor and use it for bass fishing in west Wales. I think it's brilliant. I have a 15 hp four stroke which is quick with just me on board. Would go for a 20 though if you want to pull doughnut etc. only down side for me is it is quite heavy, but I trailer mine so no prob. If you don't trailer I would say that inflating and putting in ally floor every trip would be a right pain in the arse. Can't recommend it more. Good luck
Old 30 May 2013, 17:15   #13

Town: St Helens
Boat name: Wine Down
Make: Maxum
Engine: Inboard
I had a Honwave T40 last year with a 20hp 2 stroke Yamaha. Really really nice boat, excellent quality and massive interior. Performance was OK, but really needed the Max HP rating to make it sparkle, would tow a light person on a ringo or kneeboard. The T35 with the 20 will be better. It was a pain to assemble so bought a trailer.

But I really wanted something I could roll up easily and put in the boot, managed to get hold of a Zodiac Futura Mk2C fastroller over the winter and mated it with a 25hp 2 stroke Yamaha. To say its quick is an understatement, it also has a bit more room than the Bombard 380 because of its greater width.

I don't think you will be disappointed with any of the 3 boats you are considering, they are all excellent buys.
Old 30 May 2013, 17:42   #14

Thank you for all your feedback about this, it's getting harder on which to go for now

I do agree about the zodiac as these can take up to a 40hp. The issue I have is that I can't get a trailer as I have no where to place it, so I need to get it in and out the car each time.

I don't want to purchase a boat and find I wouldn't be able to upgrade the engine so it's fast enough to pull a donut and possibly ski/wakeboard. That's why I want to get the best I can now rather than buying one then regretting not getting a better more powerful sib.

I don't the effort about getting the boat in and out the car each time along with the engine as I just want the best I can for on the water fun/fishing.

If I found a second hand honda t35 in good condition how much should I be pay for it also with a zodiac mk2 funtua how much should these be?

Thank you

Morgan
Old 30 May 2013, 17:44   #15

Sorry I miss read the zodiac can take up to a 25hp
Old 30 May 2013, 17:51   #16

Honwave

The t35ae only costs 850 pounds brand new so under 500 for second hand. I really think you will regret getting ally floor if you intend inflating/deflating each time. Also you would need a two stroke engine so it can lay flat in a boot. The effort involved in packing car, assembling boat at waterside and carrying heavy engine to boat is a real bind in my opinion. But good luck with your choice.
Old 30 May 2013, 18:21   #17

Thank you for that johnny but I have no other option, I've got no drive and no garage so a trailer is out the window. I'd love to have a trailer!

I know it might be a pain having to re-build every time but that's something which I will need to do if I want to get out on the water.

Do you think the t35 will be quick enough with a 20hp on the back? Also I'm thinking of using out in the bay where I live, do you think it'll be safe enough on the sea's?

Thank you
Old 30 May 2013, 18:32   #18

Town: lancashire
Make: xpro 380
Length: 4m +
Engine: tohatsu 20hp 4stroke
RIBase
i have t40ae with 20hp 4stroke great fishing platform and will take 30hp but as said befor bit of a pain to inflate /deflate pluss engin rather heavy to lift in and out of boot with 20hp 3adults on i get 21knts gps, hope this helps.
Old 30 May 2013, 18:47   #19

Town: warrington
Make: Honwave T32
Engine: Mercury 15 2 stroke
I've had a honwave T35 ally floor on a trailer, cracking sib but I definately would opt for air floor if your not using a trailer

Like "landlockedpirate" I now have a futura mk2 fast roller, with a yamaha 25 2smoke, I transport it in the boot, assemble each trip and inflate with a bravo electric pump. This setup is very quick, would easily pull a donut, very stable on calm waters, it's good fun in the sea if your feeling brave but like others have said the bombards deep v should perform better in the rough.

IMHO it depends on budget, obviously honwave are much cheaper than bombard/zodiac, especially new, but after owning honwave and zodiac I can see why the futura is more expensive..... Id still never pay the listed 3k + personally though
Old 30 May 2013, 19:07   #20

T35ae

Yeah 20 hp will be rapid on your own and very quick 2 up, would say that 3up would get considerably slower but realistically not enough room to fish 3 anyway. I get about 23 knots on my own with 15hp with good conditions, prob about 18 knots 2up. As for sea capability I thinks it handles chop very well for small craft and is very stable, obviously check weather before every trip. If I went out without any fishing gear it would handle quit rough conditions if it had to but fishing rods and tackle boxes don't mix well with rough stuff. All I can say is that everyone I hear from with solid floor sibs end up getting a trailer if they intend to keep it or change to an air floor if they want to continue using a car. Having done the inflate/deflate thing I can tell you that packing a car with all the stuff( boat/ally floor, pump, fuel, engine, fishing tackle, cool box, clothing, food) drive to your destination(in my case anything from 30 mins to 1 hour and 30 mins) unload car by water side pump up boat, insert floor, inflate to full pressure load up boat with tackle, food , fuel then carry engine to boat(massive struggle if on your own) bearing in mind is tide rising/falling while all this is going on. Park car. After all that your ready to go(this may have taken between 2 and three hours to do. Then repeat on return. Don't let this put you off the t35 but that's the reality of using it out of a car for fishing. Don't mean to be negative but have been there and got the t shirt. Whatever you decide let us know what you get and how you get on