Old 06 August 2019, 19:16   #21

Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: S/R5.4/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: Suzukidf70 2x6lp 315
All you folk stressing about mobile phone signal distance,I work on ships all the time and we know when we're getting close to land as everyones phone starts pinging & regularly we are still out of sight of land on a clear day.
The op is in the firth of fourth he has land on every side, ok some are deserted islands but you still get phone signal on all of them.
In the worst case the wind and tide will eventually push him onto land somewhere.
I'm not saying a mobile phone is the answer but whilst a VHF is a good idea many of us used to go boating many miles out with no radio and no phone, best we had was a box of soggy out of date flares.
Be carefull and stay within your comfort zone but dont get too bogged down with the need for safety kit or you gonna need a bigger boat sooner than you think .
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but coming fron a kayak im sure you have a good idea whats safe and what isnt and how to read a weather forecast
Old 06 August 2019, 19:31   #22

Town: Cardiff
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by beamishken View Post
All you folk stressing about mobile phone signal distance,I work on ships all the time and we know when we're getting close to land as everyones phone starts pinging & regularly we are still out of sight of land on a clear day.
The op is in the firth of fourth he has land on every side, ok some are deserted islands but you still get phone signal on all of them.
In the worst case the wind and tide will eventually push him onto land somewhere.
I'm not saying a mobile phone is the answer but whilst a VHF is a good idea many of us used to go boating many miles out with no radio and no phone, best we had was a box of soggy out of date flares.
Be carefull and stay within your comfort zone but dont get too bogged down with the need for safety kit or you gonna need a bigger boat sooner than you think .
I'll probably get shot down in flames for this but coming fron a kayak im sure you have a good idea whats safe and what isnt and how to read a weather forecast

Safety in numbers is key.........solo take some precautions.......far more likely to get into trouble on the way to go boating than actually boating IMO.....
Old 06 August 2019, 20:06   #23

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Length: 6m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Being out in an empty sea, out of sight of land, is one of the great pleasures of boating imo.
+1

Nothing like the absolute therapeutic tranquillity of a 50 mile trip home in the dark providing the boat's well "tooled up".
Old 06 August 2019, 20:23   #24

Length: 3m +
Quote:
In the worst case the wind and tide will eventually push him onto land
Either my geography is poorer than I realized or in a Westerly with an outgoing tide he might have some explaining to his Mrs when he ends up in Sweden
Old 06 August 2019, 20:30   #25

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Either my geography is poorer than I realized or in a Westerly with an outgoing tide he might have some explaining to his Mrs when he ends up in Sweden

Sweden would be a good shot, my money would be on Norway or Denmark.[emoji848]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 August 2019, 20:34   #26

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Boat
Make: Valiant V-450
Length: 4m +
Engine: Etec 40
Well all great advice,.and I'm reading and taking it all in. And I've decided with all the risks involved I'm locking the door and never leaving the house again.

Joking.

Let's be honest everything in life is a risk, from walking across the street to boiling a kettle. But done with some care we all have a chance of doing it without harm.
Not only.that you gotta live just a bit, I'm kicking on 50 here but still young in the head.
And wanna bring my son up just as I was by my father to live and try. Never know what you'll enjoy.

But again great advice by all. And a lot of food for thought,.which I thank all of you for.
My aim is to enjoy this hobby and again I'll say what an amazing active forum. And I hope to meet up with you someday ,.on the water obviously.

Now let me think of.some.other questions to gather info from. Lol.
Old 06 August 2019, 20:46   #27

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Well for two years I've had an engine problem that doesn't allow my engine to tick over for any length of time each time I go on an adventure I hope that the dealer has sorted it (another story) any way a circum navigation of Skye , mull, & Jura have been successfully been undertaken I must stress I wouldn't undertake on my own Just in case. I can control the problem to get to my destination without problem not ideal but managed that's the dilemma you face with potential breakdowns.
I do have DSC Radio, PLB, handheld radio, & mobile phone.
Old 06 August 2019, 21:43   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyShoe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Dave View Post
Sweden would be a good shot, my money would be on Norway or Denmark.[emoji848]
Whilst you could both test your theory with a message in a bottle which is totally at the mercy of wind and tide. I'm sure the op has the sense to not go out in a howling westerly & outgoing spring tide. Being a seasoned paddler he could probably manipulate his drift enough to make landfall on either shore or one of several islands that guard the firth.
I'm all for being safety concious but sometimes the tone on here suggests its totaly irresponsible for anyone to venture past the marina breakwater without more safety gear than the average ocean liner.
Old 06 August 2019, 22:04   #29

Town: denny
Boat name: breezy
Make: northcraft
Engine: honda 150
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
+1

Nothing like the absolute therapeutic tranquillity of a 50 mile trip home in the dark providing the boat's well "tooled up".
that was a good trip that one the last boat I seen was the colonsay ferry
Old 07 August 2019, 06:01   #30

Town: Dalmeny
Make: zodiac
Engine: outboard
One of my recent trips I was 110km offshore in my zodiac 550 chassing tuna. It's compulsory to carry Epirbs here and often conditions are far worse than any i experienced back in the UK. I don't have an aux because at those distances they are a waste of time in my opinion. I regularly service my engine and have good faith in it and the boat.

Heading out last week I had to pick my way through some pretty decent sized swell. This time of the year we have to dodge the several thousand migrating whales too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP6991.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	130383   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP7026.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	130384   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP7031.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	130385   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP7045.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	130386   Click image for larger version

Name:	_JDP7049 1.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	130387  

Old 07 August 2019, 07:42   #31

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Quote:
Whilst you could both test your theory with a message in a bottle which is totally at the mercy of wind and tide. I'm sure the op has the sense to not go out in a howling westerly & outgoing spring tide. Being a seasoned paddler he could probably manipulate his drift enough to make landfall on either shore or one of several islands that guard the firth.
I'm all for being safety concious but sometimes the tone on here suggests its totaly irresponsible for anyone to venture past the marina breakwater without more safety gear than the average ocean liner.

I was trying to lighten the tone with a little lighthearted/borderline flippant comment.......I failed[emoji6]. Of course he’s never going to get to Norway or Denmark.....
.......the gas rigs will get him first[emoji106]
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2019, 09:39   #32

Length: 7m +
No I don't worry unless it gets rough then it can be a tad exciting, carrying a VHF handheld and a fixed unit plus a PLB does certainly help and I would not venture out in my boat without all three + lifejacket ofcourse.

You never know when you might have an engine failure or a componet fail so carrying a VHF is essential.

Ive had two issues with power failures, the first one was hitting a floating crab pot line floating between crab pots on the surface, got caught on the lower leg, I freed it by raising the outboard but then the outboard would not go down again, had to limp into studland bay and call sea start who managed to release the hydralic pressure so outboard would lower.

Second issue I had was hitting a wave hard in the main shipping channel to Poole Harbour, the shock brock the fuel filter housing which I expect age had an impact also, had to drop anchor in about 11M of water and called for help on the VHF, a passing large fishing vessel answered and towed me back to Pool Harbour.

So as there are so many spots around the coast with limited phone coverage and how can you a call another boat with a mobile ? then obviosuly a VHF is essential, never leave the pontoon without one. LOL
Old 07 August 2019, 13:01   #33
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
So as there are so many spots around the coast with limited phone coverage and how can you a call another boat with a mobile ? then obviosuly a VHF is essential, never leave the pontoon without one. LOL
I’m not necessarily encouraging going to sea without a VHF but:

- you know there are spots around our coasts with limited VHF coverage too?
- you know that if you phone the CG they can transmit a message to all ships (more likely to be received and responded to because a. They have a big mast; b. They are the CG).

For the OPs benefit - make sure someone ashore knows your rough plan and when you expect to get back. Look at the free SafeTrx app - it may save you needing to pack that Norwegian phrase book!
Old 07 August 2019, 14:16   #34

Make: Zodiac
Length: under 3m
Engine: Scull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
I’m not necessarily encouraging going to sea without a VHF but:

- you know there are spots around our coasts with limited VHF coverage too?
- you know that if you phone the CG they can transmit a message to all ships (more likely to be received and responded to because a. They have a big mast; b. They are the CG).
So your in a area with poor VHF coverage as per your above analogy, that's exactly where a PLB will work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poly View Post
The PLB would be at the very end of the shopping list for what the OP is currently planning.

Me, I clip a handheld to my life jacket and as I said yesterday shove a little PLB in my pocket

Unlike VHF or mobiles, my understanding is PLB's / EPIRBs have pretty much uninterrupted world wide coverage - COSPAS SARSAT satellites
Old 07 August 2019, 14:47   #35

Town: Denny
Boat name: Highland Bluewater
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
<<<<Unlike VHF or mobiles, my understanding is PLB's / EPIRBs have pretty much uninterrupted world wide coverage - COSPAS SARSAT satellites
You seriously think a PLB is a substitute for a VHF.....???

Trigger a major international rescue incident because you've ran out of petrol or got lost in the Forth estuary...

As Poly says they have their place (last resort) but Maw, Paw and the three weans is £1000+ in PLBs. .... Or may you just decide who's not getting one.
Old 07 August 2019, 14:55   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Tango View Post
You seriously think a PLB is a substitute for a VHF.....???
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Me, I clip a handheld to my life jacket and as I said yesterday shove a little PLB in my pocket
You are funny
Old 07 August 2019, 15:00   #37

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Im with the PLB guys Poly and Last Tango.. remember its handhelds at discussion here ..not fixed radios. Unfortunately I have heard of too many incidents where handhelds on small craft failed to get attention for their Mayday calls..even near busy Edinburgh !!!

Here is one such incident as proof of my claim .. my bro knows the kayakers so I heard their story. Both experienced kayakers had handheld VHF and had sat the course. Neither could raise anyone ..boat or coastguard with their handhelds. The PLB saved their day. Out of interest it was 40 minutes since setting off the PLB until the cavalry arrived..

https://www.facebook.com/kinghorn.li...type=2&theater

Personally I would have a PLB and a mobile with me before a handheld for the Forth.

Off the west of Scotland I get more areas with 4G signals on the mobile phone than I find areas where I can get a radio check on my handheld. Each to their own opinion though...and it will vary in different areas
Old 07 August 2019, 15:03   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gurnard View Post
Im with the PLB guys Poly and Last Tango.. remember its handhelds at discussion here ..not fixed radios. Unfortunately I have heard of too many incidents where handhelds on small craft failed to get attention for their Mayday calls..even near busy Edinburgh !!!

Here is one such incident as proof of my claim .. my bro knows the kayakers so I heard their story. Both experienced kayakers had handheld VHF and had sat the course. Neither could raise anyone ..boat or coastguard with their handhelds. The PLB saved their day. Out of interest it was 40 minutes since setting off the PLB until the cavalry arrived..

https://www.facebook.com/kinghorn.li...type=2&theater

Personally I would have a PLB and a mobile with me before a handheld for the Forth.

Off the west of Scotland I get more areas with 4G signals on the mobile phone than I find areas where I can get a radio check on my handheld. Each to their own opinion though...and it will vary in different areas
Now your in trouble - Whats Mr Angry got to say about that
Old 07 August 2019, 15:15   #39

Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
As Gurnard says it's all down to the area you're in and the type of Boating you are doing to choose the safety gear you know that works for you to take and rely on.
And on West Coast Sibbing he's the Boss!

We're lucky that as amatter of course usually we take the lot!
The joys of out of site of land stuff is quite stimulating IME and wholey enjoyable with the right Kit and Crew...but totally different experience if you're NOT in a Floatilla!
You can amp that up quite considerably if you're in "Adverse conditions" AND SOLO!..40 miles offshore you'll soon learn the value of 100% confidence not only in your abilitys as Helm...but also you're Kit!!..
That is "STIMULATING!"

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 August 2019, 15:24   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
No I don't worry unless it gets rough then it can be a tad exciting, carrying a VHF handheld and a fixed unit plus a PLB does certainly help and I would not venture out in my boat without all three + lifejacket ofcourse.

You never know when you might have an engine failure or a componet fail so carrying a VHF is essential.

Ive had two issues with power failures, the first one was hitting a floating crab pot line floating between crab pots on the surface, got caught on the lower leg, I freed it by raising the outboard but then the outboard would not go down again, had to limp into studland bay and call sea start who managed to release the hydralic pressure so outboard would lower.

Second issue I had was hitting a wave hard in the main shipping channel to Poole Harbour, the shock brock the fuel filter housing which I expect age had an impact also, had to drop anchor in about 11M of water and called for help on the VHF, a passing large fishing vessel answered and towed me back to Pool Harbour.

To be brutally honest probably 85% of folk would have overcome both your issues fairly easily with basic tools maybe even just a multitool . & therefore wouldnt need their vhf