Old 10 July 2015, 07:31   #51

Town: East Anglia
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki DF20 EFI
Re Ribeye 350 alloy hull.

The only reason we use a SIB rather than a hard hull boat or small RIB is the need to carry it in the car and store in a small space at home.

If you are able to consider the Ribeye 350 I can only think it would be a super smallcraft ... outside my experience though but I do know they only weigh about halfway between an airfloor and hard floor SIB of a similar size. That's remarkable for a hard hull.

Old 10 July 2015, 12:56   #52
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
It was here Bombard 380 vs F-Rib vs ?? - Help choose right boat.

Bombard 380 vs F-Rib vs ?? - Help choose right boat. I will try to merge your posts later!
Old 10 July 2015, 14:15   #53

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
cheers poly
Old 10 July 2015, 15:39   #54

Town: milford
Boat name: none
Make: avon
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90 ob
Why not just fit a HIAB on top of the wall bolted into the wall you wouldnt have the problems of stability that you have on a vehicle mounted HIAB. You can pick them up second hand resonably cheap
Old 10 July 2015, 16:30   #55

Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by xj8jagman View Post
Why not just fit a HIAB on top of the wall bolted into the wall you wouldnt have the problems of stability that you have on a vehicle mounted HIAB. You can pick them up second hand resonably cheap
Thank you for the input, I did look at bit at HIAB's - Very expensive and huge when they need this long reach with 7meter and 200kg+ Such a crane is also quite monstrous and have very low WAF.
Old 10 July 2015, 17:12   #56

Small and lightweight RIB? - 3.5-4meter

I'm looking for the possibilities in the 'small RIB' niche. I have found the Ribeye and the Highfield brand while reviewing old threads. I'm looking for something where the boat stays minimal and weight around 60-70kg - What other options are there on the market?

I'm considering this RIB as alternative to a solid floored quality SIB with 20-30HP 4 stroke Suzuki outboard (44-74kg)

I have looked at the F-RIB 375 as has a flat floor that I like. But I have been told that there's some problems with the construction that are being dealt with at the moment.

I haven't owner either a RIB or SIB so I'm all ears to the pros and cons to a small RIB over a typical SIB (Stowing the boat away is not so important to me)

I have a long thread going at the SIB forum regarding how to choose the right SIB and regarding my special launch logistics, and if anyone would like to read more, here's the link
Old 11 July 2015, 03:28   #57

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard, Y-162
Make: Aerotec 380, Y-Class
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Hi Nick, best to keep it all in one topic really but if I were you I'd just drive over and buy this double quick:

Honwave 3.5m Aluminium Floor With Honda 20HP

Fantastic deal and perfect for you. You can ask so many questions and get so many opinions in all your topics but best to just get a boat and try it, until you do that you won't know! Like most on here it might not be ideal first time but this can be sold on easily and is a bargain considering what you're getting.
Old 11 July 2015, 04:30   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max... View Post
Hi Nick, best to keep it all in one topic really but if I were you I'd just drive over and buy this double quick:

Honwave 3.5m Aluminium Floor With Honda 20HP

Fantastic deal and perfect for you. You can ask so many questions and get so many opinions in all your topics but best to just get a boat and try it, until you do that you won't know! Like most on here it might not be ideal first time but this can be sold on easily and is a bargain considering what you're getting.
I didn't mean to clutter the space with dual posts, I just thought that RIBs had to be discussed here

Thank you for the link to the package. It's definitely something to consider, but as I'm not located in UK I can't just snag something like that up.
Also the Honwave is the heaviest of the Alu floored boats I have looked at.

Regarding a small RIB, it would be nice to know how it compares in practicality. Is it different regarding beach launch and so on.
But feel free to merge the threads :-)

Thanks!
Old 11 July 2015, 06:36   #59
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Engine: 2 stroke YAM 20 HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
I didn't mean to clutter the space with dual posts, I just thought that RIBs had to be discussed here
No worries - we're not too anal about the separation, and I think they way people surf the forums has evolved over the years so most people probably see both sections anyway. I've merged them to save you regurgitating the whole story again...

However I noticed this on the American section and thing you might be trying to solve the problem back to front ;-) https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=Sx5J7AKGFWI
Old 11 July 2015, 07:11   #60
RIBnet admin team

Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickDK View Post
It just takes out the spontaneity if i have to inflate the boat each time, compared to having it semi ready for take off.
I suspect that if "spontaneity" is a requirement, then this idea is doomed!

TBH, you can only use a SIB in the very best of weather - especially if the "crew" are rookies. Investing in an expensive system to launch a SIB is, IMO, a complete waste of time and money - like spending 5000 on a machine that opens the cupboard, grabs a tin and opens it for you when you suddenly feel hungry but disinclined to stand up - impressive but pointless!

As I see it, you have two choices here:

1. Buy a lightweight SIB and engine AND an automatic inflation pump. Make a decent holdall bag for the SIB and get a very good balloon wheeled trolley for the engine/holdall. Unpack on the beach and launch there each time. When you get bored with short local trips to the same places, sell the SIB and engine and use the trolley for something else. A small SIB full of adults is a fairly horrible experience.

2. Buy a smallish RIB - c.5-5.5m and moor it just off shore. When you're not using the house, recover and store it at the nearest marina/boatyard.

Tags
rib