Old 22 March 2019, 09:12   #21
RIBnet Supporter

Length: 4m +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
Ps what difference between a immersion suit and a dry suit .

Can i use either as immersons look a bit cheaper.
Dry Suit - is a dry suit, insulation can be built in or worn underneath. Survival times in cold water measured in days.

Immersion Suit - a dry suit (and extras) designed to be donned immediately before expected immersion - for example when abandoning a vessel in distress. Survival times in cold water measured in days.

Survival Suit - often lumped in with Immersion suits by retailers, but typically is a very good flotation suit. Designed for wear when close to water (fishing, dockside, boating). Raincoat like with internal flotation material and a system of closures to reduce water & heat loss. Not guaranteed to keep you dry in very rainy conditions - fills with water when immersed. One piece design to achieve survival times measured in multiple hours.

Flotation Suit - generally a cheaper product aimed at amateur fishermen and casual water users. Will keep you afloat. Two piece suits preferred by chunky monkeys have no rated insulation qualities and should not be thought of as being more than floaty raincoats.

Just to p1ss you off some more - wearing a standard 150N lifejacket with any of the above MAY mean that you are not guaranteed to float face up should you be immersed.

HTH.
Old 22 March 2019, 09:32   #22

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post
Dry Suit - is a dry suit, insulation can be built in or worn underneath. Survival times in cold water measured in days.

Immersion Suit - a dry suit (and extras) designed to be donned immediately before expected immersion - for example when abandoning a vessel in distress. Survival times in cold water measured in days.

Survival Suit - often lumped in with Immersion suits by retailers, but typically is a very good flotation suit. Designed for wear when close to water (fishing, dockside, boating). Raincoat like with internal flotation material and a system of closures to reduce water & heat loss. Not guaranteed to keep you dry in very rainy conditions - fills with water when immersed. One piece design to achieve survival times measured in multiple hours.

Flotation Suit - generally a cheaper product aimed at amateur fishermen and casual water users. Will keep you afloat. Two piece suits preferred by chunky monkeys have no rated insulation qualities and should not be thought of as being more than floaty raincoats.

Just to p1ss you off some more - wearing a standard 150N lifejacket with any of the above MAY mean that you are not guaranteed to float face up should you be immersed.

HTH.
just to add to this you need to be aware with dry suits that you can get inverted meaning your head is below water with all the air inside your suit in your legs unless you know what to do this can be serious.
also wind chill is a problem with any suit if your not insulated wetsuits are particularly bad
Old 22 March 2019, 10:00   #23

Town: Cumbria
Boat name: Honwav t30 ae
Make: Honda
Length: 3m +
Engine: 15hp
Wow loads to think about , this air in legs what u need to do and my kid got a dry suit is this a problem?

Which best as we will be in cold northern water

Thx by way great to have help
Old 22 March 2019, 10:02   #24
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Apologies from newby

On top of all the other advice, here's mine. I think the sib and engine were carefully and well chosen and will give great service.

In the meantime - it's easy to overthink this past time which is predominately meant to be fun. You need to get it wet, Ullswater is stunning and all you need is the same gear you'd wear to go for a walk and life jackets if you feel strongly about them. If not, try to avoid jumping over the side.
A pub with a jetty for lunch and you're away!

I can join in recommending PB2 for you and Mrs C, great fun and you'll learn loads of good stuff.
Old 22 March 2019, 10:13   #25
RIBnet supporter

Town: Cowes
Boat name: Clear Dawn
Make: Cormate
Length: 7m +
Engine: Verado 200
MMSI: 235924981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferryman View Post
On top of all the other advice, here's mine. I think the sib and engine were carefully and well chosen and will give great service.

In the meantime - it's easy to overthink this past time which is predominately meant to be fun. You need to get it wet, Ullswater is stunning and all you need is the same gear you'd wear to go for a walk and life jackets if you feel strongly about them. If not, try to avoid jumping over the side.
A pub with a jetty for lunch and you're away!

I can join in recommending PB2 for you and Mrs C, great fun and you'll learn loads of good stuff.

Ok, you were typing at the same time as me, if there are any children involved, you definitely need life jackets all round. However, he will also get a lot from PB2 (depending on age).
Old 22 March 2019, 10:14   #26

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
air in the legs] put your suit on zip up put your fingers in your neck seal and crouch down most of the air will escape you might get a bulge on your chest but just squeeze it out keep arms low too most of the air will come out. you can buy ankle weights which help to keep your feet down.
if you do get inverted using your arms to pull through the water do a forward roll the air will return to the legs. the more air in there the harder it is to right yourself.

i always wear a dry suit even in summer i just increase or decrease the layers below by layers i mean multiple shirts, jumpers, microfiber puffer jackets etc i dont bother with under suits anymore in the boat only when i dived. the layers trap air to give good insulation now you will say back to the inversion problem we are only talking a thin air gap heat dosnt travel through air as well as it does through clothing.

with wind chill it's always good to have a coat/cape or even a space blanket to prevent the wind from drawing heat out of the body even a bin liner will reduce heat loss

just think if you have you can add or take away if you haven't you're going to be cold your family will have a bad experience if cold and it dampens the enthusiasm to go again

https://rnli.org/safety/choose-your-...-motorboating#

PBL2 sound advice you will get duplicate info as we are eager to give advice & help but thats good dont forget this won't happen overnight slowly slowly and know your limits have a great time in the lakes.
Old 22 March 2019, 13:25   #27

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Make: Aerotec 380
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
>>> using sib in mull Harris and Lewis...

>>>what difference between a immersion suit...

When you were discussing your boat choices had I known your intended cruising grounds I'd have advised going a little bigger...

Old 22 March 2019, 13:43   #28

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Blue Mountain
Make: Humber
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 150
MMSI: 250004952
Quote:
Originally Posted by willk View Post

HTH.
+1
Old 22 March 2019, 13:55   #29

Town: Liverpool
Boat name: Blue Mountain
Length: 5m +
Engine: Evinrude E-Tec 150
MMSI: 250004952
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbria View Post
Wow loads to think about , this air in legs what u need to do and my kid got a dry suit is this a problem?

Which best as we will be in cold northern water

Thx by way great to have help
Inversion shouldn't really be an issue for surface users particularly with a lifejacket on, however for divers it can be.

Remove the air as Jeff mentions and/or purchase a drysuit with either an auto-dump valve or cuff-dump.

For our temperate waters a drysuit is really the only way to go...…. in my humble opinion
Old 22 March 2019, 17:43   #30

Enjoyed the vids thanks .

Just need engine hopefully coming next week
Old 22 March 2019, 18:01   #31

Town: East
Boat name: Seaflyer
Length: 6m +
Engine: Evinrude
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty75 View Post
Inversion shouldn't really be an issue for surface users particularly with a lifejacket on, however for divers it can be.

Remove the air as Jeff mentions and/or purchase a drysuit with either an auto-dump valve or cuff-dump.

For our temperate waters a drysuit is really the only way to go...…. in my humble opinion
+1
Old 22 March 2019, 19:24   #32

Town: Edinburgh
Boat name: Excel Chalanger
Make: Highfield 380 Excel
Engine: 25 Yamaha 25Suzuki
MMSI: 235919522
Did u get your plb registered ?? U could always go to the lake and use it paddles [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 22 March 2019, 19:29   #33

Good idea lol . Yes registered.

Might try and Nick my neighbours 40hp ob 4 day lol

Thx haggis