Go Back   RIBnet Forums > RIB talk > Inflatable boats - SIBs and folding RIBs
Click Here to Login

Old 13 April 2015, 20:26   #1

Any one got any experience of this Sib Manufacturer

Looking at getting something light for pottering around some Scottish Lochs this summer whilst away with my caravan.
I would be propelling it with a Suzuki 2.5hp Fourstroke.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...507260&alt=web
Old 13 April 2015, 21:20   #2

Town: Sussex
Boat name: Bombard
Make: Aerotec 380
Length: 3m +
Engine: Mercury Mariner 15hp
Really it's just a cheap generic Chinese toy boat, very tiny indeed. What else is there to say I guess!

Having said that for pottering around a loch, packing small in a caravan etc you don't need much else but I'd much rather have a nice old Avon for less money and you won't lose 75% when you try and sell it.
Old 13 April 2015, 21:29   #3
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
However (and I rarely defend cheap chinese sibs) with a 2.5hp on them, they go an awful lot better than the old Avon would, weigh a lot less and pack down a lot smaller.

Whisper's cheapie 2.4m was doing far better than it had any right to last week with a 2hp on it.

Depends if you want to keep it for many years and not take the depreciation hit on it. No doubt about it, the Avons are better boats, last longer and lose less money.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 April 2015, 21:36   #4
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Depends if you want to keep it for many years and not take the depreciation hit on it. No doubt about it, the Avons are better boats, last longer and lose less money.

To be fair though, at a cost of £276.59 brand new the scope for depreciation is quite limited!
Old 13 April 2015, 22:10   #5
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett View Post
To be fair though, at a cost of £276.59 brand new the scope for depreciation is quite limited!
Very true.

Actually, the only thing I will say about that chinese boat is that it looks like my Seago, with an inflatable keel under an air floor. It's not the best solution-those air floors aren't particularly rigid compared with a proper airdeck.
Realistically you're probably better off going for a slatted floor. I'd only really want the added complexity of an air floor and keel on a planing inflatable and 2.5hp isn't going to do that.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2015, 08:40   #6

It was the price that got me interested in it.
It would probably only get used two or three times a year in all honesty.
My only concern is that it is made from really thin pvc .
I didn't see the thickness of the pvc quoted in the advert which raised a big of concern.
There's truth I the old saying tho - you gets what you pay for.
Old 14 April 2015, 09:06   #7

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
What about some slightly stronger/larger but still easy to pack away SIBs like these...

C285 Zodiac Inflatable Dinghy 2.85 Metres | eBay

Zodiac inflatable dinghy cadet fastroller 2.4 | eBay

WETLINE 265 INFLATABLE BOAT TENDER | eBay

ZODIAC Cadet C260 inflatable boat dinghy RIB SIB fishing not honwave | eBay
Old 14 April 2015, 10:16   #8

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
Looking at getting something light for pottering around some Scottish Lochs this summer whilst away with my caravan.
I would be propelling it with a Suzuki 2.5hp Fourstroke.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...507260&alt=web
kaman

look at ron hale marine wave line eco 230 £265 and 260 at £315

regards jeff
Old 14 April 2015, 10:34   #9

That little 2.4 Zodiac looks a great buy.
Old 14 April 2015, 20:57   #10

Few good looking buys on there Fenlander.
Cheers fo posting.

I am a bit wary of buying second hand as I have had a couple of nightmares with 2nd cars in the past.

Had a look at the new Waveline Eco as well.
The Eco is made 750gram 1100 Denier polyester.
The standard Waveline is made of the heavier 900gram 1100 Denier polyester and us therefore a bit heavier.
The weight isnt an issue as I'm a big old lump and will be able to throw either Sib around with ease.

The standard 2.3 metre Waveline with slatted floor is also more expensive by just under a 100 quid than the 2.3metre Eco - £265 vs £349.
Anybody know how robust the 750gram is and is it worth spending the extra on the heavier material?
Old 15 April 2015, 07:05   #11

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
kaman

as with anything you get what you pay for, you have to ask yourself for the little you will use it £265 for say 5 years of boating is cheap fun you just have to look after it, as a comparison zodiac/bombard use 1100 denier material on their small boats.
if you want advice i always speak to Laurence at barnet marine very helpful guy they supply loads of different sibs and compete on price,chas newens is another,pacer marine all good sites to look at.
don't knock secondhand out the door there are some good bargains to be had as max & fenlander have said you could possibly pick up a hypolon boat if your prepared to wait which will last years.
good hunting
Old 15 April 2015, 08:05   #12

Vast difference between buying a rubber boat and a car!

When viewing the boat check for obvious damage (abrasion, cuts etc), patches, seams (make sure no peeling edges or fabric coming away) and that the fittings for oars, mooring rings etc are attached well and complete. Lastly make sure the transom is solid and where it is attached to the tubes all is well. The odd patch or scrape is to be expected but if repaired properly then nothing to worry about - it's a doddle to patch a SIB properly.

Not much else to go wrong really, size up the seller and environment and it should be obvious if the boat has been looked after. Like Fenlander's links there are endless barely used small SIB's out there.

You haven't put your location in your profile so we don't know where you are but that Fastroller 2.4 ending today in Essex with no bids at £200 would be a much better buy than a more expensive inferior new budget boat.
Old 15 April 2015, 09:20   #13

Yep I agree Sib has a lot less to go wrong than a car.
I just can't be bothered fixing the damn thing should parts start to fail down the line.
Just oozing for something for occasional freshwater use that ca be rolled away and forgotten about.
I bought a new Chinese built Honwave 3.5ae in 2010 and despite a lot of use its still going strong and looks to have a lot of years in it yet.
This makes me a bit more confident in buying a new budget Chinese Sib.
If the Honwave fell to pieces tomorrow I would have no complaints as I have had far more enjoyment out of it than its meagre price tag should have allowed.
I am in South West Scotland - so Essex is too far to travel or I would have went to see that little Zodiac for sure.
Old 15 April 2015, 10:00   #14

Town: Stirling
Boat name: The Gurnard
Make: Quicksilver
Engine: mariner 25hp 2s
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaman View Post
My only concern is that it is made from really thin pvc .
My seago slat floor is a far better boat than my Avon Redcrest roundtail..even though it is hypalon. I would suspect you will regret a 2.3m SIB even for loch fishing. Its very small and you are a sizable guy.

If you are passing near Glasgow.. call in at Duncan's Yacht Chandler ..its near the Kingston Bridge. They normally have decent chinese SIBS in stock that you can look at

Here is their advert..they had the seago slatfloor 2.7 last time I looked..its what I have (its now over 15 years old..no leaks or patches and still used regularly) but they dont have it now..only the ECO (thin version) I cant comment on thin material.

However the Waveco 2.3 at 750 gram 1100 decitex material is same price as that one on EBay (£280) Its brand new and should last 15 years too..so works out at around £30 for every year ..cant complain at that lol..

Inflatables, Outboards And Rigid Dinghies > Inflatables - Duncan Yacht Chandlers
Old 15 April 2015, 10:51   #15

Gurnard your praise for your Seago is pulling me more and more towards goin for a new Chinese Sib.
I'm leaning towards the Seago Eco 2.7m.
I am going to Glasgow later today and should hopefully have time to pop into Duncans for a look.
Old 15 April 2015, 10:59   #16

Your question inspired me to go look out my SIB after its winter storage.

The weather is forecast to warm up a bit for the weekend and light winds..so my thoughts are to take it to Loch Leven for its first adventure this year. See if I can target myself a thornback ray..or failing that..just enjoy the scenery of Glencoe area

I threw the seago..unloved into this position last September..and the shed door has not been opened since. Its in the white sail bag. Its still a reasonable size rolled up. Weights 35kg so I can carry it ..but not too far cos Im an old git.

No need for fancy expensive air pumps. I use a £25 quid coleman affair and power it with an old golf trolley battery.

Then just top it off with a couple of pumps with the hand pump. First time its seen light of day this year...still no leaks..no mouse chews...and the Chinese use better glue for the transom than some of those expensive French SIBs ..its still all intact..with no signs of loosening..and I tried to peal a seam open.

So nothing wrong with cheap Chinese SIBs..at least in my experience. Of course it only goes at displacement speed..but Im never in a hurry on our Lochs

Hope the weather forecast is correct..Im keen to go now.

PS Kaman..if you want to try a small SIB..and are passing Stirling..you are welcome to take the redstart away for a week or so .. to decide if you really want a smaller SIB. I cant use all three at once..but Im not selling them..they were my inheritance from my father.
Old 15 April 2015, 13:50   #17

Stopped by Duncans in Glasgow today.
Ended up buying a Seago Eco 260.
Looks a decent little Sib for pottering around in.
Light as a feather and at 265 quid with a 3 year guarantee on tubes / seams etc can't go wrong.
It's 30kg all in so nice and easy to man handle.
Carried it out the shop one handed like a hand bag in its carry case.
Will easily sit on the car roof box as well - Happy Days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1429105764033.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	104481  
Old 15 April 2015, 15:55   #18

Im sure you wont regret it Kaman. You have a warranty and a local dealer for backup.. cant get that with a second hand SIB ..and at those prices..you are not out of pocket by much.

I too have my Seago loaded in the car..along with my bed.

The outboard and other gubbins go in the roofbox. At night..the seago is put outside with the milk bottles.. before I doss down. A long weekend in Glencoe area is on my cards . If I get cold on the water..I will run up a couple of munros to warm up :-D

Enjoy your new boat

Old 15 April 2015, 16:55   #19

Town: Cambridgeshire
Boat name: Nimrod II
Engine: Yam 15 Tohatsu 9.8
Despite me linking to the used ones* you just can't go wrong with the deal and warranty you've got with that 260. Bit longer than the one you initially thought of and every few cms helps with the sub 3.5m sibs.

*Two of them are within easy reach of me and given I have a great condition 1990s Mariner 4 I'm a bit tempted to try and make the man maths work out to buy one!
Old 15 April 2015, 17:18   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenlander View Post
*Two of them are within easy reach of me and given I have a great condition 1990s Mariner 4 I'm a bit tempted to try and make the man maths work out to buy one!
I knew when I saw that one you linked in Halstead you would want it!

As an aside, wondering if the water skiing is still going on at Gosfield Lake? Many memories of whizzing up there like nutters in the old man's Jag so he could get a ski in after work on a Saturday morning around '79/80...