Old 28 August 2009, 21:12   #1

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Make: Ribeye
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
Ribeye S650 minor hull damage on launch/recovery.

We've launched/recovered our new Ribeye S650 about 7-8 times now, mostly without incident.

A few weeks ago we noticed that after one trip out we had a couple of small chips in the gelcoat on the very bottom of the hull, and another on one of the chines along the side.

Couldn't work out what it had managed to catch against, but just hoped that it was a one-off incident.
Unfortunately, after the last time we were out, we noticed another three chips along the chine on the right hand side of the hull, close to where the previous damage occurred.

Has anyone any experience of this, or any ideas what might be causing the damage. We are very careful when both launching and recovering and there's nothing obvious that we can recall.

Also.. I've got some Plastic Padding "Marine Filler" and also "Gelcoat Filler". Which is the best one to use for such small chips?

I've attached a photo to hopefully help show where the damage has occurred.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hull Chine Damage.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	45276  
Old 29 August 2009, 07:39   #2

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrAinZ View Post
We've launched/recovered our new Ribeye S650 about 7-8 times now, mostly without incident.

A few weeks ago we noticed that after one trip out we had a couple of small chips in the gelcoat on the very bottom of the hull, and another on one of the chines along the side.

Couldn't work out what it had managed to catch against, but just hoped that it was a one-off incident.
Unfortunately, after the last time we were out, we noticed another three chips along the chine on the right hand side of the hull, close to where the previous damage occurred.

Has anyone any experience of this, or any ideas what might be causing the damage. We are very careful when both launching and recovering and there's nothing obvious that we can recall.

Also.. I've got some Plastic Padding "Marine Filler" and also "Gelcoat Filler". Which is the best one to use for such small chips?

I've attached a photo to hopefully help show where the damage has occurred.
Hard to tell without a better look, a possible explanation maybe air voids on the rails - saw a Zodiac with this recently - it was riddled! either that or your rollers have had a bite out of your hull! Gelcoat filler sounds like the one to use - make sure it's dried out properly and take a little dremel or something to grind out the hole for filling first.
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 August 2009, 11:54   #3

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: Etec 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Hard to tell without a better look, a possible explanation maybe air voids on the rails
Looks a bit like that to me too bummer
Old 29 August 2009, 14:39   #4

Town: Near Godalming
Boat name: AJA
Engine: Yamaha F150AETX
Sorry you've got a couple of nicks - can they be left unrepaired or does further damage result?
Old 31 August 2009, 08:20   #5

Town: Gloucestershire
Boat name: Osprey
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Engine: E-tec 300 G2
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
I have used the plastic padding filler that is for gelcoat repair (assume its the same stuff one large tube and one little tube of hardner)

Once you have filled the chips just use some sandpaper to smooth ou the repair and then if you use some very fine wet and dry (1200 min pref 2000) use it wet and you will bring back the shine.

THe repair I did was a gash near the bow eye on my previous rib and you would never know it had happened.

Born fiddler
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2009, 10:11   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
I too have used the plastic padding stuff and achieved good results using the method described.
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 August 2009, 13:06   #7

Boat name: Wildheart
Make: Humber/Delta Seasafe
Engine: Merc 60 Clamshell
MMSI: 235068449
1200+grade wet'n'dry

Be glad your hull is white........
Old 31 August 2009, 13:11   #8
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
If these are "air bubbles" on a new hull would people see that as normal - or the responsibility of the manufacturer to put right? Would you at least keep them informed so that if it turns out to be riddled with them you don't have any "well you fixed the first ones yourself" type objection from them?
Old 31 August 2009, 16:41   #9

Town: Glasgow
Boat name: stramash
Make: Tornado
Engine: Etec 90
Yes .. good point Sir
Old 31 August 2009, 18:07   #10

Town: Seattle
Boat name: Water Dog
Make: Polaris
Length: 4m +
Engine: Yamaha 60hp
I would guess those gelcoat chips are coming from the edge of the aft rollers. Gelcoat has no real strength and that chine is pretty sharp. You could switch from rollers to bunks, that might solve the issue. I am guessing patching with more gelcoat will just lead to more chips next year. An epoxy filler might provide more strength against the roller edge.
Old 31 August 2009, 18:47   #11

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Do these chips run the whole length of the boat or are they just concentrated around an area a fixed distance from the bow?
If it is the latter, I would agree with the comment above. As you recover, depending on the angle of boat to trailer, if the rear set of rollers are not meeting the hull at the same angle before contact, it could be hitting another part of the rear roller assembly causing the damage.
Old 31 August 2009, 18:51   #12

Town: Leicestershire
Make: Ribcraft 4.8
Engine: Tohatsu 70 HP 2 st
I bought a new Marshan from the factory back in the late eighties and the gel coat came out in air bubbles but when i informed them we agreed for me to use it for the rest of the season and after they gave me a new hull with no problems afterwards
Old 01 September 2009, 15:12   #13

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny H View Post
I bought a new Marshan from the factory back in the late eighties and the gel coat came out in air bubbles but when i informed them we agreed for me to use it for the rest of the season and after they gave me a new hull with no problems afterwards
Can't be bad, wish everyone had this train of thought.
Old 02 September 2009, 07:39   #14

Town: Salcombe, Devon, UK
Boat name: BananaShark
Make: BananaShark
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2xYanmar 260 diesels
Any honest manufacturer would cover that under warranty anyway - it is a manufacturing fault!
Cookee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 13:56   #15

Town: Up Norf
Make: Avon SR4,Tremlett 23
Engine: Yam 55, Volvo 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookee View Post
Any honest manufacturer would cover that under warranty anyway - it is a manufacturing fault!
Thats what I mean, not all are quite as honest as they should be though.
Old 02 September 2009, 14:32   #16

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
if it's brand new take it back, but before you do make sure they're going to do it free of charge and then go all over the boat gently tapping all the sharp edges you'll find more i bet
Old 02 September 2009, 16:38   #17

Town: Southampton
Boat name: Hissing Sid
Make: Ross Smith Cobra
Engine: 200HP Optimax
MMSI: 235038046
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
if it's brand new take it back,
spot on advice
Jizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 September 2009, 22:03   #18

Town: Cowes
Boat name: WightStuff
Engine: Yamaha 150hp
MMSI: 235072807
If I really thought that it was a fault in the moulding then I would, and I'm sure that the guys at Ribeye would sort it.. but I'm not convinced.

I've also noticed some even bigger chips along the very bottom V of the hull, and I think that the boat is actually hitting against the trailer when recovering (or launching).

To me, it looks like it's probably hitting against the cross members of the axles, before it gets a chance to lift back up onto the front rollers.

Anyone got any ideas on how I could stop it doing that?
Old 02 September 2009, 22:18   #19
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
I've also noticed some even bigger chips along the very bottom V of the hull, and I think that the boat is actually hitting against the trailer when recovering (or launching).
To me, it looks like it's probably hitting against the cross members of the axles, before it gets a chance to lift back up onto the front rollers.
I'm having the same problem with my Ballistic on a Rollercoaster trailer - i.e the bottom of the keel is hitting the axle before it is lifted by the front rollers. I've tried a keel roller on the axle but it ends up being too high and almost all the boat's weight ends up on it and chews up the roller. I'm now trying an extra cross-member with lower side rollers just in front of the axle - I'll try and post picies tomorrow of what I'm trying in case it helps.
Trevor
Old 03 September 2009, 08:38   #20

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Quote:
If I really thought that it was a fault in the moulding then I would, and I'm sure that the guys at Ribeye would sort it.. but I'm not convinced.

See my comment No.11
It looks as though you are going to have to move or modify the position of the rear rollers. Without see the boat approach the trailer on recovery, it is difficult to make constructive comments, without making it worse. If you could, get someone to film a recovery and post it on here, that way we can see what is going wrong.
You might look a raising the height of the rollers or moving them slightly more inboard to give the boat more height above the beam. If it is part of the roller support which is chipping the gel coat, see if there is any material you could cut away, without weakening it.

Steve