Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 22 February 2016, 07:49   #1
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 385
New axle time?

Hi guys,

Just looking at the axle on my 2008 1300kg Degraaff and I think it could be at the end of its useful life now.
Have attached a pic of one of the suspension arms and it is cracking up with big lumps of metal falling off now. What do you all think?

I emailed Degraaff but didn't hear back. They also only supply tapered roller bearings and I'm quite keen to give sealed bearings a go this time.

Any recommendations on who to try for a new one?

Cheers,

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1815.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	110887  
__________________

__________________
Markyboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 15:16   #2
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Hi guys,

Just looking at the axle on my 2008 1300kg Degraaff and I think it could be at the end of its useful life now.
Have attached a pic of one of the suspension arms and it is cracking up with big lumps of metal falling off now. What do you all think?

I emailed Degraaff but didn't hear back. They also only supply tapered roller bearings and I'm quite keen to give sealed bearings a go this time.

Any recommendations on who to try for a new one?

Cheers,

Mark.
From other reviews on Sealed Bearings they don't seem to be as sealed as they might claim. Try giving De Graaf a call rather than e-mail. I've found they spend most of their time building trailers rather than on a PC so tend to get a bit behind with e-mail requests (this isn't meant to be a funny statement, or criticism - it's just how they are).
Last summer I had to upgrade my De Graaf 2 x 1300Kg axle trailer to 2 x 1800Kg axles, so if you're interested I have 2 x 1300Kg axles available for sale with tyres and bearing savers and SS bowden cables.
When I looked at other makes of axle to fit my trailer I found the De Graaf ones have a specific distance between the two axle mounting angle iron pieces that I couldn't find from other axle manufacturers - so if you get them from a supplier directly you might need to get the brackets welded on specially.
Here are some photos of the axles I've got available.
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_111751.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	110890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_111330.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	110891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_130540.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	110892  
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2016, 16:51   #3
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 6m +
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 70
I'm gong through the same exercise on my Bramber 2007 trailer. Suspension arms, hubs and back plate seem at the end of their life so looking for 2 new axles. Presently have Al KO sealed type so whighing up pros and cons
__________________
Waterbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 13:30   #4
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 385
How long did you find the sealed bearings tended to last Waterbouy? If they did me 3-4 years I's be happy. Maybe 15 launches a season and 20 miles a time. I have a garage which will press new ones in/out for a fiver a time so no worries there. Obviously the brakes still need some love every year.

How old are those axles Trevor and have they been dunked much? What would you want for one? I'd not really need more wheels etc though. PM me if you'd like to, where are you based? I will give degraaff a call and see what they quote me for a new one.

Cheers,

Mark.
__________________
Markyboyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 February 2016, 15:50   #5
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Boat name: Seashell
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Inboard diesel
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 5,263
I don't like sealed bearings much. I think its rather comforting being able to strip the hub down, check its all ok and re grease.

I "think" but might be wrong that Indispention will supply axles to your spec so you can specify the overall width to suit your trailer.
__________________
Tim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 15:16   #6
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
How long did you find the sealed bearings tended to last Waterbouy? If they did me 3-4 years I's be happy. Maybe 15 launches a season and 20 miles a time. I have a garage which will press new ones in/out for a fiver a time so no worries there. Obviously the brakes still need some love every year.

How old are those axles Trevor and have they been dunked much? What would you want for one? I'd not really need more wheels etc though. PM me if you'd like to, where are you based? I will give degraaff a call and see what they quote me for a new one.

Cheers,

Mark.
I Like sealed bearings but i wouldn't expect to get that level of use out of them, If you know your stuff you can unpick the casing and grease em and seal them back up again but it is a pain. Taper bearings are much easier to maintain and replace as you don't generally need much effort to remove them from the hub. unlike sealed bearings.
__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 15:42   #7
Member
 
Country: UK - Wales
Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Length: 8m +
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 6,556
There was a comment about having brackets welded to get the correct width. I would be very careful about doing this to an axle that has already been constructed. You need to do this before the rubber torsion pads and axle are pressed into the beam. The link attached will show you a cross-section of this type of axle at 17 seconds in. when you weld on to an existing unit create a lot of heat and this can damage the rubber and weaken the load handling of the axle.

__________________
Here it comes again, I don't stand a chance
Soul possession, Got me in a trance
Pullin' me back to you - Deja Voodoo
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 17:12   #8
Member
 
Iankristy's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: Scotland
Boat name: Skua
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki df250 4stroke
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
From other reviews on Sealed Bearings they don't seem to be as sealed as they might claim. Try giving De Graaf a call rather than e-mail. I've found they spend most of their time building trailers rather than on a PC so tend to get a bit behind with e-mail requests (this isn't meant to be a funny statement, or criticism - it's just how they are).

Last summer I had to upgrade my De Graaf 2 x 1300Kg axle trailer to 2 x 1800Kg axles, so if you're interested I have 2 x 1300Kg axles available for sale with tyres and bearing savers and SS bowden cables.

When I looked at other makes of axle to fit my trailer I found the De Graaf ones have a specific distance between the two axle mounting angle iron pieces that I couldn't find from other axle manufacturers - so if you get them from a supplier directly you might need to get the brackets welded on specially.

Here are some photos of the axles I've got available.

Trevor

How much out of interest? About to get a degraaf trailer with new boat. These may come in handy.
__________________
Iankristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 13:46   #9
RIBnet supporter
 
Trevor G's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Crowthorne
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
How much out of interest? About to get a degraaf trailer with new boat. These may come in handy.
I was thinking of 300 per axle including wheels (and tyres of course), bearing savers and stainless bowden cables.
__________________
Trevor G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2016, 15:01   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Mercury
Length: 3m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
MMSI: 235074042
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,574
I had a bramber trailer with sealed bearings changed at 6 years no corrosion, rumbles or slack just changed for peace of mind, spares from mersea trailers.
__________________

__________________
jeffstevens763@g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:52.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.