Old 22 February 2016, 11:49   #1

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
New axle time?

Hi guys,

Just looking at the axle on my 2008 1300kg Degraaff and I think it could be at the end of its useful life now.
Have attached a pic of one of the suspension arms and it is cracking up with big lumps of metal falling off now. What do you all think?

I emailed Degraaff but didn't hear back. They also only supply tapered roller bearings and I'm quite keen to give sealed bearings a go this time.

Any recommendations on who to try for a new one?

Cheers,

Mark.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1815.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	110887  
Old 22 February 2016, 19:16   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Length: 8m +
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
Hi guys,

Just looking at the axle on my 2008 1300kg Degraaff and I think it could be at the end of its useful life now.
Have attached a pic of one of the suspension arms and it is cracking up with big lumps of metal falling off now. What do you all think?

I emailed Degraaff but didn't hear back. They also only supply tapered roller bearings and I'm quite keen to give sealed bearings a go this time.

Any recommendations on who to try for a new one?

Cheers,

Mark.
From other reviews on Sealed Bearings they don't seem to be as sealed as they might claim. Try giving De Graaf a call rather than e-mail. I've found they spend most of their time building trailers rather than on a PC so tend to get a bit behind with e-mail requests (this isn't meant to be a funny statement, or criticism - it's just how they are).
Last summer I had to upgrade my De Graaf 2 x 1300Kg axle trailer to 2 x 1800Kg axles, so if you're interested I have 2 x 1300Kg axles available for sale with tyres and bearing savers and SS bowden cables.
When I looked at other makes of axle to fit my trailer I found the De Graaf ones have a specific distance between the two axle mounting angle iron pieces that I couldn't find from other axle manufacturers - so if you get them from a supplier directly you might need to get the brackets welded on specially.
Here are some photos of the axles I've got available.
Trevor
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150422_111751.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	233.2 KB
ID:	110890   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150320_111330.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	110891   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150419_130540.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	124.3 KB
ID:	110892  
Old 22 February 2016, 20:51   #3

Length: 6m +
I'm gong through the same exercise on my Bramber 2007 trailer. Suspension arms, hubs and back plate seem at the end of their life so looking for 2 new axles. Presently have Al KO sealed type so whighing up pros and cons
Old 23 February 2016, 17:30   #4

Town: Truro-Cornwall & Brazil
Boat name: Bananas in Blue
Make: Humber Destroyer 5.5
Length: 5m +
Engine: E-Tec 115
How long did you find the sealed bearings tended to last Waterbouy? If they did me 3-4 years I's be happy. Maybe 15 launches a season and 20 miles a time. I have a garage which will press new ones in/out for a fiver a time so no worries there. Obviously the brakes still need some love every year.

How old are those axles Trevor and have they been dunked much? What would you want for one? I'd not really need more wheels etc though. PM me if you'd like to, where are you based? I will give degraaff a call and see what they quote me for a new one.

Cheers,

Mark.
Old 23 February 2016, 19:50   #5

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I don't like sealed bearings much. I think its rather comforting being able to strip the hub down, check its all ok and re grease.

I "think" but might be wrong that Indispention will supply axles to your spec so you can specify the overall width to suit your trailer.
Old 14 March 2016, 19:16   #6

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markyboyo View Post
How long did you find the sealed bearings tended to last Waterbouy? If they did me 3-4 years I's be happy. Maybe 15 launches a season and 20 miles a time. I have a garage which will press new ones in/out for a fiver a time so no worries there. Obviously the brakes still need some love every year.

How old are those axles Trevor and have they been dunked much? What would you want for one? I'd not really need more wheels etc though. PM me if you'd like to, where are you based? I will give degraaff a call and see what they quote me for a new one.

Cheers,

Mark.
I Like sealed bearings but i wouldn't expect to get that level of use out of them, If you know your stuff you can unpick the casing and grease em and seal them back up again but it is a pain. Taper bearings are much easier to maintain and replace as you don't generally need much effort to remove them from the hub. unlike sealed bearings.
Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2016, 19:42   #7

Town: Southampton
Boat name: DynaMoHumm/ SRV/deja
Make: Avon8.4, 5.4 & 4.777
Engine: Cat3126 Yam 90 &70
MMSI: 42
There was a comment about having brackets welded to get the correct width. I would be very careful about doing this to an axle that has already been constructed. You need to do this before the rubber torsion pads and axle are pressed into the beam. The link attached will show you a cross-section of this type of axle at 17 seconds in. when you weld on to an existing unit create a lot of heat and this can damage the rubber and weaken the load handling of the axle.

Rogue Wave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2016, 21:12   #8

Town: Scotland
Boat name: Clyde adventurer
Make: Humber
Engine: Twin Merc 150 4str
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor G View Post
From other reviews on Sealed Bearings they don't seem to be as sealed as they might claim. Try giving De Graaf a call rather than e-mail. I've found they spend most of their time building trailers rather than on a PC so tend to get a bit behind with e-mail requests (this isn't meant to be a funny statement, or criticism - it's just how they are).

Last summer I had to upgrade my De Graaf 2 x 1300Kg axle trailer to 2 x 1800Kg axles, so if you're interested I have 2 x 1300Kg axles available for sale with tyres and bearing savers and SS bowden cables.

When I looked at other makes of axle to fit my trailer I found the De Graaf ones have a specific distance between the two axle mounting angle iron pieces that I couldn't find from other axle manufacturers - so if you get them from a supplier directly you might need to get the brackets welded on specially.

Here are some photos of the axles I've got available.

Trevor

How much out of interest? About to get a degraaf trailer with new boat. These may come in handy.
Old 21 March 2016, 17:46   #9
RIBnet supporter

Town: Poole
Boat name: Black Adder+BabyBlue
Make: Shearwater + Avon
Engine: TDi Diesel + Merc 60
MMSI: 235026679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iankristy View Post
How much out of interest? About to get a degraaf trailer with new boat. These may come in handy.
I was thinking of £300 per axle including wheels (and tyres of course), bearing savers and stainless bowden cables.
Old 21 March 2016, 19:01   #10

Town: Retford
Boat name: Spy-sea-one
Make: Excel 435
Length: 4m +
Engine: Suzuki Outboard/25/4
RIBase
I had a bramber trailer with sealed bearings changed at 6 years no corrosion, rumbles or slack just changed for peace of mind, spares from mersea trailers.