Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
 
Old 06 May 2019, 02:47   #1
Trade member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warrington
Boat name: Seal
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to goearth
IMPORTANT: New Trailer Regulations - outside UK

Hi All

As I have not seen it mentioned elsewhere, I just want to make you all aware of new trailer regulations that came into force on 28 March 2019.

Transporting a trailer outside the UK may require it to be registered, with it's own number plate.

The fee for registration is only £26; and can easily be done on-line. Note that if you have a used trailer without a serial number, this will cause issues, as the registration process requires the correct serial number.

The regs for when it does or does not have to be registered are complex, but basically registration is required for commercial trailers with a gross weight (i.e. fully loaded with RIB or other boat) over 750kg and all trailers with a gross weight over 3,500kg. You ARE allowed to register your trailer even if you think it falls outside these criteria. Unregistered trailers may also be subject to enforcement action while abroad from this date.

If a third party - e.g. a transport company - is transporting your RIB on your trailer, it is not yet clear if the trailer would be counted as being used for commercial purposes; but it could be.

These regulations apply across most of Europe - whether or not we leave the EU. Some countries (e.g. Italy) have very strict enforcement of the rules.

Our strong advice (and the advice we have been giving our clients) is simply to register your trailer if going outside the UK.

If you need any more info; please feel free to email me directly on martin.berman@boatsearch.earth.

Finally - thinking of buying a new trailer? We supply new ones at a discount to RIBNet members.
__________________
Martin Berman, Director, Go Earth Ltd
www.boatsearch.earth
mobile 07 803 938 805
email martin.berman@boatsearch.earth
goearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2019, 03:48   #2
Member
 
Maximus's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Wild West
Boat name: No Boat
Make: No Boat
Length: under 3m
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,677
Send a message via AIM to Maximus
What's not to like?...
More regs More paper and More Tax... we're already well set on the road to "Nirvana"... Just have to keep going!!
Even better!...a little down that road ...when 5g and A.I gets here...(won't be long!) the Boat AND trailer will "talk" to the authorities and Tax people directly FOR you!..how good will that be!.. sheer BLISS!

(Like the company name)
__________________

__________________
A clever Man learns by his mistakes..
A Wise Man learns by other people's!

The Road to HELL ..is Paved with "Good inventions!"
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 May 2019, 11:09   #3
Trade member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warrington
Boat name: Seal
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to goearth
Hi Maximus

Understand the 'misgivings' about any new regs. However, it is very easy and unproblematic to register - all on-line - and registering may make actually it easier in some countries.

Anyway - as we do trailers, and transport across Europe -just thought we should tell people . . it's better to know now!

Glad you like the company name!!
__________________
Martin Berman, Director, Go Earth Ltd
www.boatsearch.earth
mobile 07 803 938 805
email martin.berman@boatsearch.earth
goearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 02:16   #4
Member
 
boristhebold's Avatar
 
Country: UK - England
Length: 7m +
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,532
Will be interesting to see how the new regs are enforced considering the lack of enforcements in my opinion of existing regs on trailers.

To make my point, as I live on south coast I regularly see people with boat trailers on the road and it is shocking the number of them without fully working light boards or without any licence plate or licence plate with a different licence on them or even worse boats on them that are not secured by any means or incorectly, seems police are not interested at all and its not like no accidents happen as they do and has resulted in deaths.

So dont think more regs are needed, the existing regs should be enforced and more checking of boats on trailers is needed.
__________________
boristhebold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 02:39   #5
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,752
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by goearth View Post
The regs for when it does or does not have to be registered are complex, but basically registration is required for commercial trailers with a gross weight (i.e. fully loaded with RIB or other boat) over 750kg and all trailers with a gross weight over 3,500kg.
So basically almost no-one on RIBnet, as they are largely non-commercial and under 3.5 tons.

If you're such a stickler for the regs, you could consider renewing your Trade Membership as you are touting for business..
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 02:43   #6
RIBnet admin team
 
Poly's Avatar
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by boristhebold View Post
Will be interesting to see how the new regs are enforced considering the lack of enforcements in my opinion of existing regs on trailers.



To make my point, as I live on south coast I regularly see people with boat trailers on the road and it is shocking the number of them without fully working light boards or without any licence plate or licence plate with a different licence on them or even worse boats on them that are not secured by any means or incorectly, seems police are not interested at all and its not like no accidents happen as they do and has resulted in deaths.



So dont think more regs are needed, the existing regs should be enforced and more checking of boats on trailers is needed.


Borris - these new rules apparently only apply outside the UK; I think youíll find some countries are already much stricter on trailers than we are. They also only seem to apply to commercial use, so Iím not sure why GoEarth are recommending people do this if they are not commercial - could it potentially lead to confusion about whether you are commercial and should have a tachograph, or other commercial requirements? (Youíll also find if you are towing commercially the tolerance factor for dodgy trailers in the UK is much smaller)! Also not required in every EU country (eg although is for most - anyone going on the ferry to Bilbao or Ireland need not worry).

Details here: https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2019/...-are-changing/. (Towards bottom of the page).

The registration number does not replace the towing vehicle registration plate.

The good news is this potentially makes it easier for UK sellers who want to sell a trailer (or more likely a boat on a trailer) to someone elsewhere in the EU who needs registration paperwork.
__________________
Poly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 03:01   #7
Trade member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Warrington
Boat name: Seal
Make: Excel
Length: 3m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 65
Send a message via Skype™ to goearth
Really Willk. Sorry, but I find that your comments are unhelpful.

It is not a case of being a stickler for regs - just warning people who are taking their trailers abroad. IF you use a transport company, you MIGHT fall within the regs; AND it does no harm to cover yourself by registering to avoid having to prove (possibly in a foreign language!) that you are not operating commercially. Some countries are hotter on the regs than others. The problem is that if you get caught out by the regs, you have a serious shedload of hassle which it is quite easy to avoid.

As to "So basically almost no-one on RIBnet . .". Actually, most posts on RIBNet only apply to a small percentage of members; and my post was quite explicit about who the regs do (or might) and do not apply to.

Yes, I am a Trade Member - but that has nothing whatsoever to do with warning people of the risks of falling foul (especially in some counties) of the new regs. Read the WHOLE post. The fact that I am a Trade Members simply means that I have more experience of this sort of issue;and am currently helping a client with these new regs.

That was published as a service to people;and it's unfortunate that you cannot see that. The whole point of RIBNet is surely to provide (or ask for) advice - and then it's up to you to ignore it if you wish!

So - I will not shut up if I think that there is important advice to put out there.
__________________
Martin Berman, Director, Go Earth Ltd
www.boatsearch.earth
mobile 07 803 938 805
email martin.berman@boatsearch.earth
goearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 03:30   #8
RIBnet Supporter
 
willk's Avatar
 
Country: Ireland
Make: Redbay Boats
Length: 9m +
Engine: 370hp
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 13,752
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by goearth View Post
Really Willk. Sorry, but I find that your comments are unhelpful.

It is not a case of being a stickler for regs - just warning people who are taking their trailers abroad. IF you use a transport company, you MIGHT fall within the regs; AND it does no harm to cover yourself by registering to avoid having to prove (possibly in a foreign language!) that you are not operating commercially. Some countries are hotter on the regs than others. The problem is that if you get caught out by the regs, you have a serious shedload of hassle which it is quite easy to avoid.

As to "So basically almost no-one on RIBnet . .". Actually, most posts on RIBNet only apply to a small percentage of members; and my post was quite explicit about who the regs do (or might) and do not apply to.

Yes, I am a Trade Member - but that has nothing whatsoever to do with warning people of the risks of falling foul (especially in some counties) of the new regs. Read the WHOLE post. The fact that I am a Trade Members simply means that I have more experience of this sort of issue;and am currently helping a client with these new regs.

That was published as a service to people;and it's unfortunate that you cannot see that. The whole point of RIBNet is surely to provide (or ask for) advice - and then it's up to you to ignore it if you wish!

So - I will not shut up if I think that there is important advice to put out there.
I don't see where you're a Trade member - says member on your profile. I think that your "advice" is poor - a scattergun application of maybes and possibly and mights, made solely to give you an opportunity to sell your kit. All just IMHO of course.

Get yer purse out and cough up!
__________________
.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 May 2019, 03:41   #9
Member
 
Country: UK - Scotland
Town: north ayrshire
Boat name: charlie girl
Make: reiver 3.8/regal3760
Length: 10m +
Engine: 40hp 2st 2x6lp 315
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by goearth View Post
Really Willk. Sorry, but I find that your comments are unhelpful.

It is not a case of being a stickler for regs - just warning people who are taking their trailers abroad. IF you use a transport company, you MIGHT fall within the regs; AND it does no harm to cover yourself by registering to avoid having to prove (possibly in a foreign language!) that you are not operating commercially. Some countries are hotter on the regs than others. The problem is that if you get caught out by the regs, you have a serious shedload of hassle which it is quite easy to avoid.

As to "So basically almost no-one on RIBnet . .". Actually, most posts on RIBNet only apply to a small percentage of members; and my post was quite explicit about who the regs do (or might) and do not apply to.

Yes, I am a Trade Member - but that has nothing whatsoever to do with warning people of the risks of falling foul (especially in some counties) of the new regs. Read the WHOLE post. The fact that I am a Trade Members simply means that I have more experience of this sort of issue;and am currently helping a client with these new regs.

That was published as a service to people;and it's unfortunate that you cannot see that. The whole point of RIBNet is surely to provide (or ask for) advice - and then it's up to you to ignore it if you wish!

So - I will not shut up if I think that there is important advice to put out there.
Have to agree with Willk there seems to be little relevance to many ,if any rib net members.
For the majority of boat owners the towing limit effectively stops at 3.5t. The rules and regs to tow over 3.5t pretty much put it outside the capabilities of most boat owners.
And if you are paying a commercial company to deliver your boat then surely adherence to the road traffic laws of the country they are driving through is their responsibility and best left to them. I can imagine the conversation if a trailer was impounded abroad and the owner had stated it was 100% legal, its then the owners problem . However if you hand over the rig and the contractor doesn't get it right then its up to the contractor to ensure adherence to the rules. Obviously it means when choosing a delivery contractor you have to ensure they are 100% reliable.
__________________
beamishken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 May 2019, 01:30   #10
Member
 
Country: UK - England
Town: Ipswich
Boat name: Click and Collect
Make: Valiant and Narwhal
Length: 4m +
Engine: Outboard
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 1,030
Never register for anything unless you have to..... All it get you is a name on a list that people use to try and make money from in some way or another
__________________

__________________
Bigplumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.