Old 20 August 2013, 10:48   #1

Town: Sticks, N.Yorks
Boat name: Tamanco
Make: Honwave 3.5AE
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu Outboard
AA recovery

After towing the boat 715 miles and 80 miles short of getting home my ML gearbox decided to blow a seal and expire at the Southwaite services on the M6 last Saturday.
After a few delays (4 1/2 hours) we were collected on a low loader with the boat & returned home! Due to the long delay which by their own admission was beyond their control they've given me a years free membership & sent a big bunch of flowers with an apology today !!
That's what I call customer service...
As for waiting 4 1/2 hours I'm very pleased that the three kids were in walking distance of toilets & a café.
Old 20 August 2013, 19:38   #2

Make: Zodiac Mk I
Engine: 15 hp Yam two stroke
AA Zodiac!

Zodiac MILPRO Supplies First Boat To The AA | PRLog
Old 20 August 2013, 20:16   #3

Town: Rostrevor
Boat name: Ricochet
Make: Redbay
Length: 7m +
Engine: Twin F115 Yams
MMSI: 235083269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatnomad View Post

AA’s C-Type Special Operations Response Team - the SBS must be Sh1tting themselves
Old 20 August 2013, 20:18   #4

Town: Cheshire
Boat name: Gollione
Make: Avon Searider 5.4
Length: 5m +
Engine: 90hp
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddlers View Post
After towing the boat 715 miles and 80 miles short of getting home my ML gearbox decided to blow a seal and expire at the Southwaite services on the M6 last Saturday.
After a few delays (4 1/2 hours) we were collected on a low loader with the boat & returned home! Due to the long delay which by their own admission was beyond their control they've given me a years free membership & sent a big bunch of flowers with an apology today !!
That's what I call customer service...
As for waiting 4 1/2 hours I'm very pleased that the three kids were in walking distance of toilets & a café.
Tough Luck mate,
The only things that are more expensive in life than motorway services cafe food are Mercedes parts and marine parts.
but at least the AA came good and sent flowers for the ML funeral, touching!
Old 20 August 2013, 20:44   #5

Make: humber
Length: 6m +
"That's what I call customer service..."
or perhaps it could be called a completely unacceptable level of service followed by damage limitation measures to prevent the loss of the customer to other providers at next renewal.

However whoopsies do happen and its nice that they have tried to make amends.

Not a good advert for their recovery service however.
Old 20 August 2013, 21:26   #6

To be fair they'd passed the job to Egertons recovery who sent a text saying that they'd be there at six but never showed up . The problem appeared to be they didn't have anything big enough available to take the car & boat at the same time local !
Costing an arm & a leg to get the gearbox rebuilt with a 2 year guarantee but I'm used to that owning boats .....
All part of lifes rich tapestry.
Proves the point that they'll bring you home with your boat if you ever need them, just make sure you're not in a hurry.
Had two brilliant weeks on Kintyre so on the plus side it could've happened on the way there.
Old 21 August 2013, 07:54   #7

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
I don't know what's going on with the AA of late. I broke down on the M11 two weeks ago. I was sitting on the hard shoulder in the dark for 3 1/2 hours. Ended up using the emergency phone and spoke to the highways agency who said they would try and speed things up. I think that is rather unacceptable.
Old 21 August 2013, 08:07   #8

Make: zodiac
Engine: Tohatsu 9.8hp
Small consolation for when you get the parking fine through from the service station
Old 21 August 2013, 08:34   #9

Make: Joker Booat
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yam 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I don't know what's going on with the AA of late. I broke down on the M11 two weeks ago. I was sitting on the hard shoulder in the dark for 3 1/2 hours. Ended up using the emergency phone and spoke to the highways agency who said they would try and speed things up. I think that is rather unacceptable.
Have to agree Tim.

Back in February when it was snowing I was travelling along the M3 in the outside lane when my engine died, happened at 4.30 in the afternoon only 35 miles from home. Managed to roll over to the hard shoulder. AA informed and said stand on the hard shoulder and we will have someone there in under an hour as its a priority job on a motorway. It's snowing and bloody cold

To cut a long story short, they didn't turn up within an hour but the first of three recoveries did turn up an hour and a half later. At this point the battery on the car was flat and the electronic hand brake and steering lock could not be disengaged.

I finally got home at 1.30 in the morning after three separate recoveries. The car was dropped at the dealer and the recovery driver kindly dropped me home.

In total it took nearly 9 hours and numerous calls to the AA to have the car recovered to a dealer and get me 35 miles home.

Shocking service however they did call me first thing in the morning to apologise, that was really nice of them

This is not the first time they have left me stranded. A couple of years ago I was left in Scotland with a boat trailer which had sheared the wheel nuts off the second axle. This time it took three days before they recovered it as they went back and forth about whether the trailer was covered or not.

Think Green Flag are looking favourite at the moment.
Old 21 August 2013, 08:37   #10

We'd literally just left the service area & were a few yards down the M6 slip road so officially on the motorway so no parking fine but it's worth bearing in mind if you're in the services over 2 hours. I'd have pushed that onto the AA if it was an issue !
Tim M, did they compensate you for the delay or give a reason ?
Old 21 August 2013, 08:44   #11

Town: Côte d'Azur
Boat name: Beaver Patrol
Make: Avon Searider SR4
Length: 4m +
Like landlord they said it was a priority job and they'd be there within an hour. I made numerous calls and got a bit shitty, but still took them forever. No follow up call or apology. I keep meaning to follow it up but haven't had the time. Have since joined the RAC!
Old 21 August 2013, 10:15   #12

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
You can't beat good mates for recovery, costs you a few bears but you're still in good company
Old 21 August 2013, 10:16   #13

Town: swanwick/hamble
Boat name: stormchaser
Make: custom rib
Length: 8m +
Engine: inboard/diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by biffer View Post
You can't beat good mates for recovery, costs you a few bears but you're still in good company
Luckily they only serve beers in our pub
Old 21 August 2013, 10:25   #14
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: Dominator
Make: SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Yam 85
MMSI: 235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
Like landlord they said it was a priority job and they'd be there within an hour. I made numerous calls and got a bit shitty, but still took them forever. No follow up call or apology. I keep meaning to follow it up but haven't had the time. Have since joined the RAC!
Don't expect much from the RAC either.

Last year I had an issue with trailer brakes binding, and pulled up NEXT to a parked RAC van. He refused to look at it. 'Not my area mate, you'll have to wait for the local guy'. I pay for the full trailer recovery package, via the c*r*v*n club.

3 hours later I was mobile again. The repair took 10 minutes.

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2013, 10:28   #15

Town: Salisbury
Boat name: Blue C
Make: XS 600
Length: 6m +
Engine: 125hp Opti
MMSI: 235082826/235909566
Brittania Rescue the ONLY way to go, with trailer recovery, only used them a handful of times over the past 38 years with them never ever let us down, unlike the AA when with a mate, towed us of the M4 into a garage, as it was sunday Dumped us there, and said they open @ 8:00 !!!