Old 20 October 2005, 07:55   #21

Town: Over here
Boat name: S.S. Nobstick
Make: Three Wise Monkeys
Length: 3m +
Engine: 44lbs of thrust....
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kennett
.... Unfeasibly tall would probably be nearer the mark!
..... even you wouldn't look out of place on one of these muthas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SmallHP2.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	15105  
Old 20 October 2005, 08:29   #22

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
Quote:
Originally Posted by codprawn
The problem is they are rapidly closing more and more of the LEGAL routes - just pushing laws through with no opposition.
Well, get out there and lobby your MP, the local council. Get access to the Definative Maps, do your research and act.
Join GLASS, LARA and the Motorbike group (whose name I forget). Liase with the council and organise lane clearing, and show the dog walkers, ramblers, horse riders and other do-gooder townies that you care more than them.
DON'T just go out and rip up the surface and try to get stuck. It gives the rest of us a bad name.
Old 20 October 2005, 08:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
....Motorbike group (whose name I forget).....
This group.. http://www.trf.org.uk/
Old 20 October 2005, 12:51   #24

Town: swansea
Boat name: Too Blue
Make: BLANK
Length: 8m +
Engine: Suzuki DT225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Halliday
Well, get out there and lobby your MP, the local council. Get access to the Definative Maps, do your research and act.
Join GLASS, LARA and the Motorbike group (whose name I forget). Liase with the council and organise lane clearing, and show the dog walkers, ramblers, horse riders and other do-gooder townies that you care more than them.
DON'T just go out and rip up the surface and try to get stuck. It gives the rest of us a bad name.
Actually what causes the problem is people going in big groups - "just out for a laugh with their mates".

A VERY good friend of mine owns a farm where the local Roman Road virtually goes through his farmyard. He has no opbjection to the odd Land Rover purring through on it's own but when you have 12 of them on a jolly it is a TOTALLY different matter. Even worse are the bikes - a 4x4 you will hardly hear at over 100yds but a motorbike is totally different - especially when you have 30 of them!!!

Motorbikes have caused most of the probs but of course they won't just ban bikes so everyone else has to suffer.

One of the least damaging of all must be a proper quad like the farmers use - lower ground pressure than a human an quiet with it. 2 stroke bikes have NO PLACE in the National Parks.

I have tried telling people until I am blue in the face that if people carry on going in these big convoys we will end up with no offroading at all - people just don't listen and the LR mags along with Bike groups etc still organise the damn things - then they whinge about all the routes being closed!!!

I see it from all sides - have walked in the Beacons since a kid - live very near by - drive my Landie there and have TOTAL respect for the countryside.

There just aren't enough people to lobby this cause - too many bloody ramblers(old gits) about - look what happened at Windemere!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 13:03   #25

Town: Reading, Hants
Boat name: Juicy
Make: Sealine F43
Length: 10m +
Engine: 2 x 370hp
MMSI: TBC
Quote:
Actually what causes the problem is people going in big groups - "just out for a laugh with their mates".

A VERY good friend of mine owns a farm where the local Roman Road virtually goes through his farmyard. He has no opbjection to the odd Land Rover purring through on it's own but when you have 12 of them on a jolly it is a TOTALLY different matter. Even worse are the bikes - a 4x4 you will hardly hear at over 100yds but a motorbike is totally different - especially when you have 30 of them!!!

Motorbikes have caused most of the probs but of course they won't just ban bikes so everyone else has to suffer.

One of the least damaging of all must be a proper quad like the farmers use - lower ground pressure than a human an quiet with it. 2 stroke bikes have NO PLACE in the National Parks.

I have tried telling people until I am blue in the face that if people carry on going in these big convoys we will end up with no offroading at all - people just don't listen and the LR mags along with Bike groups etc still organise the damn things - then they whinge about all the routes being closed!!!

I see it from all sides - have walked in the Beacons since a kid - live very near by - drive my Landie there and have TOTAL respect for the countryside.

There just aren't enough people to lobby this cause - too many bloody ramblers(old gits) about - look what happened at Windemere!!!
i would agree smaller groups are better, upto 5 bikes is good, 4 strokers are best and quiet ones so we dont scare the old ladies.

best to be nice and polite so as not to give the grumpy ones anything to moan about.

i think cars do more damage than bikes to be honest

so codders....can the hampshire boys come over to yours to stay as a base camp for exploring your neck of the woods?
Old 20 October 2005, 13:04   #26

Quote:

I used to do quite a lot of "green laning" in my *ahem* younger days and find your comments absurd. Could you explain why a a group of 100Kg motorcycles traversing a green lane causes "most of the problems" when a group of 1800KG-ish LandRovers on Mud-Pluggers..... now that's showing my age..... doesn't? .....and in the same bizarre outburst you talk about LR magazines being to blame for organising group events.

All those who tell me I'm "childish" to have a go at Codders please press the red button now. Believe me, I have toned this response down somewhat.....
Old 20 October 2005, 13:06   #27

Length: no boat
Quote:
and have TOTAL respect for the countryside.

Ramblers have "rights" too. You'll be an old git quicker than you think old bean....
in fact, you're well on the way.

Old 20 October 2005, 13:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
I used to do quite a lot of "green laning" in my *ahem* younger days and find your comments absurd. Could you explain why a a group of 100Kg motorcycles traversing a green lane causes "most of the problems" when a group of 1800KG-ish LandRovers on Mud-Pluggers..... now that's showing my age..... doesn't? .....and in the same bizarre outburst you talk about LR magazines being to blame for organising group events.

All those who tell me I'm "childish" to have a go at Codders please press the red button now. Believe me, I have toned this response down somewhat.....
NOISE NOISE NOISE = CRAZY FROG =

Ding ding

A Brem Brem

A ring ding ding ding ding
A Ring Ding Ding Dingdemgdemg
Ring ding
Baa-Baa

Ring ding ding ding ding
a Bram ba am baba weeeeeee
Old 20 October 2005, 13:19   #29

Quote:

Ding ding

A Brem Brem

Ring ding
Baa-Baa

Ring ding ding ding ding
i think that would be a 2 stroke matey

4 strokes dont make that noise and a lot of greenlaners would agree that 2 strokers are a bit obtrusive
Old 20 October 2005, 13:23   #30

It was not really that strange - I was saying big groups of Land Rovers or other 4x4s are also a problem.

Ramblers can be just as bad - go to the top of Pen-y-fan or Corn Du or any other popular area and you will see what I mean - not a blade of grass in site and the stupid idiots even destroyed a Bronze age cairn to make windbreaks!!!

ANY sort of big group will cause problems - 2 or 3 people walking along a narrow path are soon past and forgotten - a bloody coachload is a different matter!!!

I NEVER stick to the paths when I wander around the mountains - and as a result there is NO damage anywhere as a result - it is the constant passage of feet that causes the problem.

Have you noticed the paths sheep make? Why do people have to behave the same???
Old 20 October 2005, 13:25   #31

Quote:

Ding ding

A Brem Brem

Ring ding
Baa-Baa

Ring ding ding ding ding

How appropriate for you, Codders. Perhaps you could adopt him as your mentor? You both seem to share so much. By the way? What engine did you buy for you, soon to be arriving, RIB ? Was it one of the environmentally friendly four strokes, or one of those nasty, polluting, noisy two strokes?
Old 20 October 2005, 13:25   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
i think that would be a 2 stroke matey

4 strokes dont make that noise and a lot of greenlaners would agree that 2 strokers are a bit obtrusive
But most of the bikes I come across ARE 2 strokes - and they tend to be in big groups!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 13:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jono
How appropriate for you, Codders. Perhaps you could adopt him as your mentor? You both seem to share so much. By the way? What engine did you buy for you, soon to be arriving, RIB ? Was it one of the environmentally friendly four strokes, or one of those nasty, polluting, noisy two strokes?

I can truthfully say I have NEVER heard a big 2 stroke outboard sound anything like a bike or a chainsaw!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 13:27   #34

And I am not likely to use it in a National Park either!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 13:27   #35

Quote:
It was not really that strange - I was saying big groups of Land Rovers or other 4x4s are also a problem.

Ramblers can be just as bad - go to the top of Pen-y-fan or Corn Du or any other popular area and you will see what I mean - not a blade of grass in site and the stupid idiots even destroyed a Bronze age cairn to make windbreaks!!!

ANY sort of big group will cause problems - 2 or 3 people walking along a narrow path are soon past and forgotten - a bloody coachload is a different matter!!!

I NEVER stick to the paths when I wander around the mountains - and as a result there is NO damage anywhere as a result - it is the constant passage of feet that causes the problem.

Have you noticed the paths sheep make? Why do people have to behave the same???

Baaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr Baaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 20 October 2005, 13:30   #36

Seriously though - remember I am NOT in favour of BANNING things - just think people should keep a low profile to avoid giving others the excuse!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 13:31   #37

Quote:
But most of the bikes I come across ARE 2 strokes - and they tend to be in big groups!!!
to be totally honest a group of 30 2strokes blatting along would be a bit of a pain in the ass from a noise perspective. especially if full blown xers just about road legal

my road bike makes a lot of noise but i prefer my offroad bike to be quiet as a mouse

but i am one of the old gits on a fourstroke as my friends seem to be as well so we are the nice quiet bunch that are nice and friendly and help old ladies across the road
Old 20 October 2005, 13:32   #38

Quote:
Seriously though - remember I am NOT in favour of BANNING things - just think people should keep a low profile to avoid giving others the excuse!!!
ok agreed.....now answer my chain question please.......
Old 20 October 2005, 13:35   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
ok agreed.....now answer my chain question please.......
Will do later - am actually working at the moment - got a few meetings etc - "joy"!!!!
Old 20 October 2005, 15:17   #40

Town: liverpool
Boat name: summer
Make: tornado
Length: 5m +
Engine: 115 yam outboard 2st
Send a message via MSN to stedj
ive got 2 x drz400 one is a supermoto and the other is for offroad i luvem the only truble is were i go off road in aintree along side the grand national the police are doing a clamp down [dew to kids on little mini motos ]havent been out for a couple of months[ police have drzs 350 and 400] so id be up for wales ste dj