Old 23 December 2006, 21:11   #81

Town: Devon
Boat name: White Ice
Make: Ranieri
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki 115hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Letting your foot off the throttle a little is usually enough-but that comes with the pitfall of no brake lights-so the guy behind closes up before he realises you've slowed.
Now this is exactly whay I have an issue with the "closing the gap" - if the driver behind can't deal with the driver in front lifting off the throttle, then we're all in trouble!

Richard B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 21:13   #82

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Personally I'd like to see Lorries (7.5 ton or over) banned from B roads, villages, and areas of outstanding natural beauty.

There are very few reasons for vehicles of that size to go on these roads and most of these journeys could be made by vans etc. But only vans that drove sensibly and didn't block the road everywhere they park.

If it meant an increase in prices to maintain some sort of peace then I for one would be prepared to pay for it.

Likewise even though I own a 4 x 4 I would be quite happy to see them banned from town centres.
So why's that then? Plenty of wagons here need to use B roads, and drive through villages, and through areas of outstanding natural beauty. See, there's this thing called forestry, which tends to be tucked away in nice scenic areas, either side of winding little country roads. Be a bit daft trying to carry several thousand tonnes of 16' timber by Transit van. Same goes for transporting from quarries and farms.

And all the farmers out here now should go out and buy a 2nd vehicle purely to go out shopping should they?

Old 23 December 2006, 21:22   #83
RIBnet admin team

Town: The wilds of Wiltshire
Boat name: WhiteNoise/Dominator
Make: Ballistic 7.8/SR5.4
Length: 7m +
Engine: Opti 225/Yam 85
MMSI: 235090687/235055163
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B View Post
Now this is exactly whay I have an issue with the "closing the gap" - if the driver behind can't deal with the driver in front lifting off the throttle, then we're all in trouble!
Least worst option again I'd prefer to have a truck lift off the throttle and lose a few mph then a car cut in from the inside (where it's quite possible I won't be able to see them for a good part of their undertake) FAR closer than I'm following the truck in front then slam on the brakes or lift off the throttle because they don't like being up the backside of an artic. I'll have to brake a lot harder for that-IF I can stop in time.

It's a rock and a hard place.

I've got some pics somewhere here taken from the driving seat (while stationary ) of an artic. I'll try and find one I can post. (no joy-got this one of my old rock'n'roll tour truck though)

Imagine the silver cavalier is facing the same way as the truck-but the same distance out. Move the car forwards 5 feet. You now can't see it at all from the driving seat of the truck.
Move it another 10 feet forwards and you can just see the end of the car bonnet. 5 feet further and it's at about this point that the numties usually start to cut in at 70mph-then realise they can't and overbrake....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CNV00004.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	23960  

Please click HERE and HERE and support our Trade Members.

Join up as a Trade member or Supporter HERE
Nos4r2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2006, 21:43   #84

Town: Oakley
Boat name: Zerstörer
Make: Ribcraft
Engine: Suzuki DF 140
MMSI: 235050131
Narked,

I'm sorry but the French realise that Lorries are a pain and ban the bloody things from areas where they would like a bit of peace and quiet.

As for moving lots of logs etc, if it really needs to be done then make allowances. Set times with set convoys. Its not Rocket engineering. As it is we have a free for all on a decrepit 1970's or worse road system with 21st century needs.

I observe in my village and the next one that I shop in deliveries to my local One Stop and Co Op being delivered by, I'm not sure of the size but they are artics and big, and parking so that they block one lane of traffic and make it very much hit or miss whether you can get past without causing a problem yourself. Certainly these lorries should be reduced in size.

Do we really need all these lorries in quiet backwaters. I have to travel to a town to get fuel, my local shops don't sell anything bigger than a chicken, the Post office is probably going to close soon, and thats about it as far as local shops go. So no I don't need lorries, a van will do and a small one at that.

As I pass lorries on my local B Road and just think I'm lucky to get past them I often wonder what happens when two meet each other.

Who is at fault here, Lorries because they are too big for the roads they use or the Government because they haven't built the roads for the big lorries to go on. After all its the government that allows the big lorries.
Old 23 December 2006, 21:48   #85

Nos,

You have my full sympathy for idiots that cut you up when driving your truck, but most Lorry drivers don't do themsleves any favours when they get on the Motorway and start that stupid 1 mph overtaking thing.

That I don't understand and never will.

I've sat there at 58 mph towing my boat knowing I can overtake on a 2 lane Motorway but haven't done so because it would slow up the much faster saloon cars etc. I wait for a big gap where I overtake without causing undue delay or I don't bother. Its costing me money as well. Out of my pocket.
Old 23 December 2006, 21:50   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by narked View Post
And all the farmers out here now should go out and buy a 2nd vehicle purely to go out shopping should they?
That will be the poor Farmers driving round in Range Rovers.

Well yes they should. And I'd be suprised if they didn't own a second vehicle. Probably a BMW M3 or Audi A8 knowing our poor over subsidised farmers.

In fact its a very old saying but a very true saying. "Have you ever seen a poor Farmer". "Get Off my land" Farmers are never very happy. Suits them to moan.
Old 23 December 2006, 21:51   #87
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Nick,

If the trucks are causing that much of a safety issue then write to one-stop and the co-op. Both firms have smaller rigid trucks that they can use if safe access (for the trucks AND the locals) is a problem.

Old 23 December 2006, 21:53   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nos4r2 View Post
Nick,

If the trucks are causing that much of a safety issue then write to one-stop and the co-op. Both firms have smaller rigid trucks that they can use if safe access (for the trucks AND the locals) is a problem.
Okay will do. thanks for that.
Old 23 December 2006, 21:55   #89
RIBnet admin team

RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
Nos,

You have my full sympathy for idiots that cut you up when driving your truck, but most Lorry drivers don't do themsleves any favours when they get on the Motorway and start that stupid 1 mph overtaking thing.

That I don't understand and never will.

I've sat there at 58 mph towing my boat knowing I can overtake on a 2 lane Motorway but haven't done so because it would slow up the much faster saloon cars etc. I wait for a big gap where I overtake without causing undue delay or I don't bother. Its costing me money as well. Out of my pocket.
I doubt anyone would understand until they drove one. It's unfortunately part of the job.

Old 24 December 2006, 04:01   #90

Town: Aberystwyth
Boat name: Undecided
Make: Undecided
Length: Undecided
Engine: Undecided
Well maybe they're more of an issue where you are Biggles, but can't say I've ever had any real problems with any of the heavy traffic around here. Set convoy times may work for some wagons, but wouldn't for the likes of timber and quarry traffic out here. My neighbour has his own 44 tonne timber wagon, and regularly I have to follow him up the single track B road where we live. It's steep, it's winding, and it takes him ages to get up there, but I just accept it and put up with it, it only adds a minute or two onto my journey.

And on the topic of wagons and overtaking, how many wagons decide not to stick to the speed limit on single carriageway A roads?! They're buggers to overtake! :P