Old 17 July 2008, 15:39   #31

Town: Cowes
Length: 8m +
Engine: 225 Opti
LL is right about 4k to get one over from europe - put it in a container that is pretty cheap. you pay more loading and unloading it than shipping. once at sea unless you are inbound ex USA or far east cost is much of a muchness and not so high...

With the high against the $ it doesnt seem a good idea!

I thought there were some pretty good deals in the USA with the ex military boats - someone on here had one, painted yellow and black. lot of work though.

Old 18 July 2008, 01:39   #32

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick211 View Post
thats why i would like to have a twin engine very tough boat id also like to be able to travel at 60MPH max speed
It's unlikely you'll get a boat that will do this fast in a heavy duty RIB. The new Zodiac Mach II will do that apparently, but it's powered by three 300 HP Verados! Drop those on the back of a 633 and you'll do about 40 knots... straight down! (I have en estimate on a non-mil spec Mach II and it would run about $450,000... All I need now is to win a lottery!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2008, 17:41   #33

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Here is a nice RIB located in WA on Boattrader.com
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/19...table-91480699
Old 23 July 2008, 20:18   #34

Town: Windsor CT
Boat name: Blue Moon
Make: ribcraft 6.5
Engine: 150 hp honda
MMSI: 338051172
You're right it is a nice boat. It's one big SIB. Achilles doesn't make ribs that large.

Bill

www.eclecticwonders.com uncommon art
Old 23 July 2008, 23:58   #35

Town: British Columbia
Make: Gemini
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp 2 str
That looks like a very good buy.
Old 25 July 2008, 18:01   #36

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
When I got serious about buying a larger RIB, I was really having trouble understanding how on earth a 19'6" boat, motor and engine, could possibly cost $55,000 (10 years ago). In fact, I took a trip to Vancouver and toured the Hurricane plant to try to understand the cost. While I was there, I went whale watching on a 733, and came back absolutely sold that there was NOTHING on the water that could do what that 733 did. (I had a little Mk III RIB at the time, but this big sucker was amazing...)

After a couple of weeks, common sense settled in again. I spent some time with a Whaler dealer and we discussed a 21' Outrage. It was a longer boat than I was considering in a RIB, but in order to get the same interior space, and the same load capablity, I had to go "one size up". The 19' Whaler seemed like a wee toy in comparison.

The Whaler was more expensive, required a bigger engine, weighed about twice what the 590 did, and would have required a massive truck to pull it. (At the time, I was trailing a boat about 4000 km a year, diving all over the Great Lakes...) The Whaler was out of the question, but we went for a test ride anyway. It was a beautiful boat and rode beautifully in a 1 foot chop, but the operating costs and the weight put it beyond me...

A couple of weeks later, I ordered the 590 new, and the next day a used 590 fell into my lap through the same dealer and the rest is history.

Ten years later, as I think back about the 8 -10' waves on Lake Superior in a September gale, or the 5' waves on Lake Erie with a 37 mile run back in broadside to these waves, I have no doubt whatsoever that I made the right decision. As nice a boat as the Whaler was and is, there is NO WAY that I would have made it back in intact in a "real" boat.

If I won a nice phat lottery and budget was no issue at all, and I was to buy a new boat, it would be a 733 with twin engines. And I would have the order placed before I picked up my winnings!

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 August 2008, 14:36   #37

Town: Seattle
Make: Ballistic
Engine: twin 90HP TLDI
Maverik
I don't know if you are still looking but I just posted a 6.5M Mako in the RIBS for sale section. While it's not in the same catagory as a 7.33 Huricane I have no problem keeping up with them out here and passing them. But my boat is a lot lighter and you do get bounced around a bit more then in the hurricanes. good luck in finding what you want.