Old 22 October 2007, 02:39   #1

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Mounting cooler on Huricane630

The Huricane 630 i am fixing up (former coast guard boat) doesn't have any additional seating and I was thinking of mounting one of those coolers with a cushion in front of the counsel. My concern is how do you mount this. I know iglo sells a mounting kit that keeps the cooler from sliding side to side and front to back by having some pieces mounted on the deck. Then there are straps that keep that keep it from lifting up.

My question is how do you mount this to the deck. I don't have an inspection port in front of the counsel in order to get me access to the underside of the fiberglass deck plates in order to through bolt the brackets. My thought is I could use screws with epoxy on them but I dont know if that makes sense. Any ideas?
Old 22 October 2007, 02:42   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Rutland
Length: no boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by enwulff View Post
The Huricane 630 i am fixing up (former coast guard boat) doesn't have any additional seating and I was thinking of mounting one of those coolers with a cushion in front of the counsel. My concern is how do you mount this. I know iglo sells a mounting kit that keeps the cooler from sliding side to side and front to back by having some pieces mounted on the deck. Then there are straps that keep that keep it from lifting up.

My question is how do you mount this to the deck. I don't have an inspection port in front of the counsel in order to get me access to the underside of the fiberglass deck plates in order to through bolt the brackets. My thought is I could use screws with epoxy on them but I dont know if that makes sense. Any ideas?
If its against the console could you fix it to that
Old 22 October 2007, 12:42   #3

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
One alternative would be to install stainless inserts into the deck that are made to receive bolts. The ones most often seen are about an inch wide, threaded on the outside to be screwed and epoxied into a pilot hole drilled for the purpose into the deck, and have a threaded hole in the center to receive a bolt (see pictures). Not sure about your specific boat but Zodiac often will use these inserts to bolt tubes in place and to mount radar arches, consoles, etc. best of luck, sounds like a worthwhile project!
bryan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	insert 002.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	22.6 KB
ID:	30870   Click image for larger version

Name:	insert 003.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	30871  
Old 23 October 2007, 04:37   #4

Town: San Diego.California
Boat name: Bayshots
Make: XS-550
Length: 5m +
Engine: Suzuki DF90
Like those Bryan.
Also West Marine do a stainless toggle bolts, that slips ino a drilled hole and then opens out to lock against the underside of the deck.
So you can mark and drill the holes, then put the cooler brackets in place and feed the bolts through ,let the toggle swing open and then just tighten up. Easily removed if you change your mind later;
cheers Dal
Old 24 October 2007, 15:00   #5

Town: Tobermory, Canada eh
Boat name: Verius
Make: Zodiac Hurricane 590
Length: 5m +
Engine: Yamaha F150
Send a message via MSN to Stoo
The inserts Sunrider is suggesting work well. My deck is full of them... I have a couple of eyebolts that I can stick into them to make temporary tie-downs. The important thing is that they can be epoxied in so that they are watertight. It might not be obvious from the pics, but thee are a reverse thread so you don't need to worry about them loosening when you old stuff to them. Mice accept a 3/8" bold...

www.wetspotimages.com
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 October 2007, 02:35   #6

Town: Cleveland
Make: Nautica Widebody 22
Engine: Yamaha 225 4 stroke
Send a message via Yahoo to enwulff
Where do you get the stainless steel deck inserts at?
Old 25 October 2007, 03:51   #7

Town: Cowichan Bay
Boat name: Neptune
Make: Zodiac Hurricane
Engine: twin140 suzi 4stroke
Zodiac Hurricane in Delta British Columbia Canada sells them. they aren't cheap i seem to re-call them being about $5/piece . You need to talk to the parts department.

ZHT
7830 Vantage Way
Delta, BC , V4G 1A7

Phone: 604-940-2999
FAX: 604-940-2779
Old 26 October 2007, 20:37   #8

Town: Fairfield
Boat name: Sunrider
Make: Zodiac
Length: 7.3
Engine: MerCruiser (bio)diesel 180hp I/O
I'm away from home for a few days so don't have access to my records, but I believe I saw the stainless inserts offered by Jamestown Distributors....will check when I get home if you are still looking at that time....