Old 12 December 2003, 10:57   #1

Town: Swinton Manchester
Length: 5m +
Send a message via AIM to Graham H
Vhf

Merry Christmas to all . Just been looking on ebay found this UNIDEN POLARIS VHF with DSC £199 is it a bargine or should I go to somewhere like compass24 thanks Graham
Old 12 December 2003, 14:34   #2

Town: Whitstable
Boat name: Tango
Make: Avon and Narwhal2.4m
Length: 4m +
Engine: 60HP Yamaha
Hi Graham

I bought an ICOM off an ebay auction site, the set was new and i got it for the bargain price of £120, at the time they were selling for £240 ish depending where you went.

I ignored all advise about warranties and dealers and being able to go back to someone if the set didn't work or broke and took an educated chance and mine was ok, the set was mint and have never had a problem but please do be aware of all this if you do go ahead.

I did my homework and researched the VHF before i made my bid and knew exactly what it would cost new both buying from a dealer over the internet and through my loacl chandlers, so i knew if the thing worked i'd have got a great bargain and at the end of the day if it didn't i'd have taken a chance.
My advise would be to research it and find out just what your saving as it could be your not saving that much and it might be a better option to go through a dealer and have the back up if something did go wrong.

Good luck
Old 12 December 2003, 18:42   #3

Town: Worcestershire
Make: Various
Engine: O/B + Sterndrives Di
Hi Graham,

the Uniden you refer to is NOT compliant for European class D equipment, although it will work on many channels.
If you can wait just a short while we will have a new Silva S10 fully waterproof GMDSS/DSC radio (european spec) at around £199 plus postage or even cheaper but may be end February the New Navman 7000 series again fully waterproof and fully compliant and these should retail around the £180.00 mark. If you want any further help or details you can contact me on steve@nautequipe.co.uk