Old 11 December 2003, 13:45   #1

Town: Nutbourne
Boat name: Renegade
Make: Porter
Length: 6m +
Engine: 140 Tohatsu
MMSI: 235022904
New toys for the new toy

I have now got a new toy outside the house and have a sudden urge to bolt some new bits to it.

It is sadly missing a depthsounder and speedo/log. I have looked at some old threads on the subect, and it seems that a transom mounted unit is the way to go.
I like the look of a Raymarine ST40 BiData. Has anyone out there had any expierience of them?

Reasons for for this choice are:-
1) Fair price (I may even be able to get at trade)
2) Raymarine / Raytheon kit has been fitted to many yachts that I have been on and seems to perform well.
3) If it goes wrong Raymarine are only 15 mins down the road.
4) A depthsounder and speedo are IMHO essential in Chichester Harbour.
Old 11 December 2003, 13:54   #2

Town: Manchester - Abersoc
Boat name: MeMe
Make: SeaPro 595CC
Engine: Mercury 115 4S
Send a message via MSN to MeMe
Hi and welcome......

to Ribnet, which, I trust you'll enjoy as much as me !

Well, first things first, get some pictures of this new toy up on the Forum.

As for your request for advice on various toys, I think you've answered your own question really. As for Ray' equipment it's IMHO that nowdays much of this stuff is pretty much all the same. That said, even if others were to argue against Ray' stuff, I'd still go with it just based upo the points you make above.

I would however say, that in my experience it may be worth considering a depth/fishfinder with the transducer mounted internally (loads of threads on this subject) and getting a GPS which of course has both speed and position functions. Plus it's an additional "Toy" and we all like those, don't we ?
Old 11 December 2003, 14:24   #3

Thanks MeMe

The GPS front is covered.
There is a Navman Tracker 900 that came with the boat and I have a Garmin GPSIII handheld.

On the speed front, Chichester Harbour has 4 "stealth RIBS" (6ish meters with 120ish hp, black hull, black tubes and black crew cloathing) and an 8 knot speed limit. Also we can get up to 3.5 kts of tide in places, so SOG rather than water speed can lead to a large fine.

The boat is Porters Renagade prototype and only has a small well, and the "V" profile under it has too great an angle to mount a thro' hull tranducer. Ther is no access to any other bit of hull. Hence the transon route. I will just have to watch it when taking to the beach.
Old 11 December 2003, 15:23   #4

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Mark,

Quote:
Chichester Harbour has 4 "stealth RIBS
who mans these boats ? the fuzz or some old duffer working for the harbour board ?

Just like to know who is chasing me next time I call into chi.

Pete
Old 11 December 2003, 16:16   #5
Administrator

Town: Brighton
Length: 3m +
Last time I encountered them they were manned by a bunch of officious, unhelpful, spotty youths. They are controlled by the Harbourmaster - Lieutenant Colonel J Q Davis RM - and equipped with military style uniforms (epaulets and all!).

I notice from the Chichester Harbour web site that Mr Davis seems to have been persuaded to finally relinquish his military rank which is probably a step in the right direction though!

John
Old 11 December 2003, 17:09   #6

Town: Gosport
Boat name: April Lass
Make: Moody 31
Length: 9m +
Ha, they have honda 130s on the back of a 6.5m rib. the only thing they will catch (in addition to a cold) is Wavehumpers Camel.

Pete

Old 11 December 2003, 19:34   #7

Seems that you got the answers before I got back.

I do sort of know John Davis. Mutaual friends and all that. He is OK socially but takes no prisoners at work. He races a Sunbeam from Itchenor SC.

As to out running them - there is only one way out of Chi Harbour at less than 1/2 tide and you can bet that at least one will be waiting just off Treloar point at the entrance to meet you. Unfortunatly the Spotty Oiks know how to use a radio......
You could try going by road, but all the slipways are Conservancy controlled.
I find a good pair of bin's are the best defence.
Old 12 December 2003, 09:34   #8

Town: Portchester, Hants.
Length: no boat
Send a message via AIM to Aging Youth Send a message via Yahoo to Aging Youth
"You could try going by road, but all the slipways are Conservancy controlled. I find a good pair of bin's are the best defence."

Alternatively, you could come out under the Hayling Road Bridge and exit via Langstone Harbour, when the tide is right of course.

Langstone HM only interested in Jet Skiers who flout the rules and take the P**S. In the Run

« Handheld GPS | Top | Vhf »