Old 23 June 2011, 12:03   #11
Ton

Length: no boat
Engine: Diesel inboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
ran my hand over the top of the battery and was surprised to find the top very distorted, the other is still completely flat.

1. I am assuming that this is bad news, 2. What is the likely cause, 3. Can anyone recommend where a replacement my be purchased at reasonable cost.
Cause: severe overcharging of the battery.

The Optima is the best -by a mile- marine battery available, but can only withstand so much abuse. Any other battery would have given up much earlier, would have leaked acid or gel into your boat, or even could have exploded.

Before you do anything: find the cause of overcharging. Or the next battery will follow also ...

Old 05 August 2011, 05:26   #12

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
The Verado Owners Club www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php do not rate the Optima at all. The battery of choice for the Verado (by owners with 6 years expereince of the motors) is the Odyssey (Merlin Power in Poole have them)

Quote from site - "Mercury is now requiring an AGM type battery for Verados. Your dealer may not know that. If you have an option rigging your new boat, go for group 27 or bigger batteries. Verados like big batts due to the DTS, smartcraft and the power steering pump which takes add’l power. The power steering pump is always pumping when your ignition is on. See the appendix for more info on batts. Strange things happen when the batts are low, like false alarms, etc. Merc will supply their own battery or we like the Odyssey 1500 battery or Sears Die Hard AGM (same batt). If
you contribute to the site, you get these at a discount. Stay away from the Optima “blue or red top” AGM batts. They can fail unexpectedly.

The VOC is a goldmine of information about the Verado well woth a look if you dont already use it

Old 05 August 2011, 05:31   #13

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
On another point do you only have two batteries? You could think about a third for "house" duties. Wired up via a BEP VSR cluster (Also available through Merlin Marine in Poole) Two new Odysseys for engine starting and keep the remaining Optima for house duties (This is what I have done on my single engine set up)