Old 19 June 2011, 20:45   #1

Town: Hamble
Boat name: Worth the wait
Make: Parker
Length: 7m +
Engine: Outboard
Optima Batteries

We have a twin battery set up in the Parker and thus far been very reliable, being less than 2 years old.

Whilst having a general check around the boat today, between trips i noticed that the bracket clamping down one of the batteries appeared to be a little loose. Whilst I was tightening up the clamp a ran my hand over the top of the battery and was surprised to find the top very distorted, the other is still completely flat.

1. I am assuming that this is bad news, 2. What is the likely cause, 3. Can anyone recommend where a replacement my be purchased at reasonable cost.

Regards
Steve
Old 19 June 2011, 21:03   #2

Town: N. Pembrokeshire
Boat name: Various
Make: RIBs & Hovercraft
Length: 9m +
Engine: Outboards
MMSI: Various
RIBase
Quote:
Originally Posted by 250kts View Post
We have a twin battery set up in the Parker and thus far been very reliable, being less than 2 years old.

Whilst having a general check around the boat today, between trips i noticed that the bracket clamping down one of the batteries appeared to be a little loose. Whilst I was tightening up the clamp a ran my hand over the top of the battery and was surprised to find the top very distorted, the other is still completely flat.

1. I am assuming that this is bad news, 2. What is the likely cause, 3. Can anyone recommend where a replacement my be purchased at reasonable cost.

Regards
Steve
I believe that the optimas have a two year free replacement warranty.....I assume they were supplied with the RIB? If so, a call to the manuf to see who supplied In the first instance....failing that you could try contacting these guys....they are the Optima distr for UK Optima batteries - the ultimate power source - Optima Batteries UK

Follow us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php...17306504953480
Razorbill RIBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2011, 11:25   #3

As the batteries are only 18 months old, I asked Andre at Parker if they could pursue a replacement, BUT as it it a commercial vessel, the warrentee is only 12months!

So, who can do a good price on a Optima Blue Top DC 5.5??

Thanks Steve
Old 21 June 2011, 12:25   #4

Town: Cotswolds
Make: Avon SR4
Length: 4m +
Engine: 40hp
is it that the boat warranty is 12 months, or the batteries - I also thought that they were 2 years, so def. worth talking to the distributors - they may well replace / split the cost with you

Alasdair
Old 22 June 2011, 16:02   #5

Town: Oakland CA
Length: 3m +
Might be worth having a load test done on the offending battery. Could well be that nothing is wrong with it.

jky
Old 22 June 2011, 16:22   #6

Getting confused over this one.
Parker RIBs say that as its in a commercial boat it is a one year warrentee.
Got an email from Optima telling me to discuss with Parker as it should not have failed after such a short time.
Then get a phone call from Optima UK who informed me that ALL Optima batteries used in a a Marine application, have only a one year warrentee. He said that if the boat is layed up over winter, this equalled mis-use and therefore they could not be held responsible!!
If the top of the battery is mis-shapen, this is a sign of severe over charging. So why is only the one battery effected (we operate with both on) and with the engines serviced only two weeks ago, they got a completely clean bill of health.

Looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place and have to pay the £250+ for a replacement.
Old 22 June 2011, 19:17   #7

Town: South Yorks
Boat name: Black Pig
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 5m +
Engine: DF140a
MMSI: 235111389
RIBase
Not particularly inspiring customer service from either Parker or Optima
Rule#2: Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level & then beat you with experience.
Rule#3: Tha' can't educate pork.
Rule#4:Don't feed the troll
Pikey Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2011, 19:44   #8

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
We have had lots of Optima battery problems, even Barrus have stopped selling them with the engines. We have been selling these for a while and have had no problems at all. And best of all the less money!!

Exide Maxxima | Exide Car Battery | Exide Auto Battery | Exide Car Batteries | Cheap Exide Car Battery
Old 23 June 2011, 09:20   #9

Thanks for that suggestion, would i need to replace both or could I just do the one and replace the other Optima later?
Old 23 June 2011, 13:29   #10

Town: Looe
Make: Delta
Engine: Mercury
Quote:
Thanks for that suggestion, would i need to replace both or could I just do the one and replace the other Optima later?
Just one, dont need to do both.
Old 23 June 2011, 16:03   #11
Ton

Length: no boat
Engine: Diesel inboard
Quote:
ran my hand over the top of the battery and was surprised to find the top very distorted, the other is still completely flat.

Cause: severe overcharging of the battery.

The Optima is the best -by a mile- marine battery available, but can only withstand so much abuse. Any other battery would have given up much earlier, would have leaked acid or gel into your boat, or even could have exploded.

Before you do anything: find the cause of overcharging. Or the next battery will follow also ...
Old 05 August 2011, 09:26   #12

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
The Verado Owners Club www.veradoclub.com/smf/index.php do not rate the Optima at all. The battery of choice for the Verado (by owners with 6 years expereince of the motors) is the Odyssey (Merlin Power in Poole have them)

Quote from site - "Mercury is now requiring an AGM type battery for Verados. Your dealer may not know that. If you have an option rigging your new boat, go for group 27 or bigger batteries. Verados like big batts due to the DTS, smartcraft and the power steering pump which takes add’l power. The power steering pump is always pumping when your ignition is on. See the appendix for more info on batts. Strange things happen when the batts are low, like false alarms, etc. Merc will supply their own battery or we like the Odyssey 1500 battery or Sears Die Hard AGM (same batt). If
you contribute to the site, you get these at a discount. Stay away from the Optima “blue or red top” AGM batts. They can fail unexpectedly.

The VOC is a goldmine of information about the Verado well woth a look if you dont already use it
Old 05 August 2011, 09:31   #13

Town: Poole
Boat name: Half Cut
Make: Cobra 8.6
Length: 8m +
Engine: Verado 275
MMSI: 235104619
On another point do you only have two batteries? You could think about a third for "house" duties. Wired up via a BEP VSR cluster (Also available through Merlin Marine in Poole) Two new Odysseys for engine starting and keep the remaining Optima for house duties (This is what I have done on my single engine set up)