Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polwart View Post
Do you mean etrex? IIRC the etrex has NO mapping capability built in (even as an add on) - it is the really basic entry level system.
I am considering the Lowrance iFinder H20C. A little more pricey but a lot more capability. Accepts Navionics charts also, which is a big plus. This will be my primary unit as I do not have room for fixed chart plotter. it has seperate 12v power input and optional ext. ariel. Has anyone got one and can comment.
Thanks.
Old 19 January 2008, 10:11   #22
RIBnet admin team

Boat name: imposter
Make: FunYak
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 30HP
MMSI: 235089819
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limey Linda View Post
I am considering the Lowrance iFinder H20C. A little more pricey but a lot more capability. Accepts Navionics charts also, which is a big plus. This will be my primary unit as I do not have room for fixed chart plotter. it has seperate 12v power input and optional ext. ariel. Has anyone got one and can comment.
Thanks.
I don't have the H20C - but I just picked up a cheap iFinder Map&Music on ebay (as I have lost my Garmin 76c ). For the price I paid (£60) I am impressed. I didn't want/need the music. I picked up a cheap Nauticpath chart for most of europe at the same time (£75). Mine has a b/w screen and screen seems even smaller than the 76c was. Features wise it is what I expected from the blurb. User interface is fine, like the garmin some simple things are a bit more effort than you would expect (e.g. changing the units, or datum requires a bit of hunting around and clicking if you aren't using the manual - but those are not things you do a lot).

With the screen size I am not sure that there is much to be gained from going to Navionics charts (unless you prefer their colours etc). You can get free electronic charts in the US - can they be used on the iFinders?

When I bought the garmin I wasn't actually looking for colour - it was a nice to have. Having now tried the b/w chart plotting - I think colour does help with quick interpretation at speed. If I could have found a colour screen for a low price I would have.

Overall the garmin was less attractive but seemed more solid (both are supposed to float with the right bateries in it).

So far my only real criticism of the lowrance is the size of the "speed" "course" "ETA" type info on the display. The garmin was much bigger. But there may be a way I haven't found to change that.
Old 19 January 2008, 10:52   #23

Boat name: Banshee
Make: Tornado
Length: 6m +
Engine: Yamaha 150
Quote:
Do you mean etrex? IIRC the etrex has NO mapping capability built in (even as an add on) - it is the really basic entry level system.

Looking at the eTrex Vista HCx,

From Garmin site:

' Expand Your Memory

Adding maps is easier than ever with Vista HCx's microSD card slot. Conveniently plug in optional preloaded microSD cards with MapSource data for your land and sea excursions. Just insert a MapSource card with detailed street maps, and Vista HCx provides turn-by-turn directions to your destination. The card slot is located inside the waterproof battery compartment, so you don't have to worry about getting it wet. '

I think this should suit what I need as a compact backup unit.
Old 19 January 2008, 18:15   #24

Town: San Carlos, Mexico
Boat name: INDE
Make: LOMAC 730
Length: 7m +
Engine: 200 Merc.
MMSI: Please press 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Limey Linda
Quote:
You can get free electronic charts in the US - can they be used on the iFinders?
No such luck. Yes I can download free NOAA charts in both raster and vector versions. They are s57 international format. There are no GPS units that are compatable. Surprise, surprise.
A Lowrance h20 c costs about $230.00 and a Navionics card about $135.
Mapping software for PC is $90 and includes a bunch of charts; but you have to buy the card reader/cable for $40. A 2 gig memory card is $70.
Thanks for the feedback