Old 11 October 2004, 10:59   #1

Town: London
Make: Larson
Length: 7m +
Engine: Volvo D4 260hp DP
Floscan

Is this the same as some of you are already using, if so is it a good price and easy to fit?

See :- http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...oScan/5500.htm

Thanks

P.S. I saw this discussion on an old thread and as it was a while ago started this new one, in case someone who used it did not see my question on the old one.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:27   #2
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
Length: no boat
RIBase
More info.

Yes that is the official "Floscan" unit.
I can only tell you about my case.
I (obviously) got the diesel version which also has to measure the amount of unburned fuel being returned to the tank. It then subtracts this from what went in, and gives an accurate "litres used" figure.
It was bought in the UK for about £500. There is a more expensive version that gives you "miles till your tank runs out" but I dont need that.
I need "How much am I burning right now in litres per hour" and "how much in litres have I used since I reset the counter".
It came with the wrong size nozzles (you need to think about that if importing).
I had mine fitted by a professional (Andy Cox-St Mawes) so it was completely painless!
After fitting, you need to calibrate the unit. Dead easy. It runs, I reckon, with an accuracy of better than 3%.
I (now!!) know the exact capacity of my tank. When I refill, always to the top, I reset the counter to zero.
Before filling up I can tell the man that I need, say 260-270litres.
It is vital instrument to me as I do what I call long-range cruising and I can (now!!) very accurately pace my trips. This means that if you think you may be running a bit low, you can throttle back some revs to improve your fuel economy to match your "distance to run". Vital.
I wish I had had one fitted when Cyanide was built and it is my No. 2 instrument after my Raytheon plotter. thoroughly recommend them.

BTW the (now!!) in brackets I have been refering to, relates to the time when I ran out of fuel in the middle of the Bay du Seine and had to abandon the boat as night fell. With the aid of Mr. Whiteshoes and Mark Wildey, we finally managed to recover the boat about 2.30 the next morning after it had drifted several miles.
Old 11 October 2004, 11:32   #3

Sounds like just what I need, I have been burning £800 a month in petrol, so I guess this will act the same as a car computer and frighten the pants off you when you accelerate

I am sure that over a period of time it will pay for itself and more importantly with petrol, let you get good range with careful helming, as petrol is not so freely available as you know.

What do you mean about nozzles?

Thanks,
Old 11 October 2004, 14:03   #4

Town: Poole
Old 11 October 2004, 14:39   #5
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Nozzles

Well you will have to excuse my layman's terms.
If you think about it the fuel pipe coming out of the tank has to be cut to insert the metering system and then cut again where it feeds back (into a diesel tank). At each "cut" there is a joint and in this joint is a nozzle that connects the two pipes together. Cant just use yer British Standard plastic Hozelock can they? It may do other things as well like let the fuel flow at a set rate. Dunno about that. Anyway, they dont know what diameter your fuel pipe is do they? So they supply a set of nozzles for diameter X. Except that mine were Y.
One of these days I will hobble down to the marina and photograph my installation to make it a bit clearer.
Old 11 October 2004, 14:47   #6

OK thanks, I am petrol so will contact the manufacturer of the boat and get the size, as both are in the US let's hope they use the same size.

Thanks again.
Old 11 October 2004, 17:08   #7

Town: A large rock
Boat name: La Frette
Make: Osprey Vipermax
Length: 6m +
Engine: 200 Suzzy
I fitted the Navman Fuel 3100 digital meter on my boat (see another thread somewhere) and like a couple of its features. Primarily the mpg readout but also the speed readout in big letters (hooked up to the GPS). It gives an alarm when the the tank gets down to a preset level which is helpful.
Old 11 October 2004, 18:12   #8

Town: Port Solent
Boat name: Wild Thing
Make: Ribtec
Length: 6m +
Engine: Honda 150 Vtec
MMSI: 235016672
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteb
Is this the same as some of you are already using, if so is it a good price and easy to fit?

See :- http://www.brokenlegdave.com/Manufac...oScan/5500.htm

Thanks

P.S. I saw this discussion on an old thread and as it was a while ago started this new one, in case someone who used it did not see my question on the old one.
Hi,

Fitted a flow meter to my Ribtec, works very well, fitted it directly to the fuel filter engine side, used standard brass plumbing gas fittings but no teflon tape.

Be aware that when you buy in the US and import to the UK you will have to pay taxes and VAT, I did!!

Great instrument.

Richard
Old 11 October 2004, 20:23   #9

I have had a look at the Navman system, seems very good, but I have no place to fit it flat, I think the other one will go in place of the speedo and look better.

I am over in the USA in Jan so I will order it and pick it up then. I don't know what the personal allowance is now, but I guess I will have to declare part of it for VAT and duty purposes, but should still be cheaper than here.

Thanks for the advice and help, just hope it fits OK and saves me a few quid.
Old 12 October 2004, 17:04   #10

Town: Chesterfield
Boat name: Sea Quell
Make: Picton Cobra
Length: 5m +
Engine: Mercury 150 4 Stroke
MMSI: 235038298
I fitted a floscan - anaolgue type, to my smelly noisy gas guzzling ( by some standards at least !) mariner 125.
It was relatively easy to fit and is very accurate ( once calibrated as per manual) - I use it to help more sensible cruising - but moreso to give me accurate fuel usage. Resetting the trip after fuelling up is a simple way.
After much searching I came across Mike Tralies at VIT Electronics in the States - and as they purchase so many they seem able to buy at prices many others simply can't touch.
Service was excellent - and for the 55080-264-1 model ( specify litres rather than US gallons) price was $269 ( in April 2002) - shipping was $66 !! and import taxes £55.

Worth giving Mike a try :

http://www.vitelectronics.com
Old 13 October 2004, 08:00   #11
TIM

Town: Dublin
Boat name: WIZARD
Make: REDBAY 7.4
Engine: OPTI 225
VIT Elecrionics... the best ... Prices unbeatable .....
I talked to Mike before I bought .... Navman 5600 plotter , 4200 fish finder and 2x fuel sensors ... nice guy .. great service .....