Old 20 May 2002, 11:53   #1

Town: Great Harwood, Lancs
Boat name: Tigger II
Make: Bombardier Aerodeck
Length: 3m +
Engine: Tohatsu 25HP
Yanmar 240HP

Hi folks

Ribex over boat selected just the choice of engine/drive to spec.

I am looking at the Yanmar 240HP with the Bravo 3 leg.
Does anyone have any experience feedback on this engine or combination.

Looking on here most Yanmars are the 300HP, is the 240HP a good engine ?.
I know the Bravo 3 leg overheats with the 300HP but have been told its OK with the 240HP.

The other option is the Volvo KAD32 DP, for which I have only heard good reports its just the Yanmar is more power for similar money.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks Gary
Old 20 May 2002, 13:46   #2

Town: Newfoundland
Length: no boat
Wot about the 240 Yamaha / Yam drive (as per Spirit of Cardiff)?
Others here more qualified to comment ref. Bravo 3 but from what I understand its the 300hp's that have (had?) the problem. Alledgedly now resolved with Bravo 3x leg.

So whats the boat gonna be then? Ribcraft 7.8?

Alan
Old 20 May 2002, 18:58   #3

Hi Alan

Yep its another Ribcraft, just need to finalise details spec etc.
But it its a 7.8 offshore prob a Yanmar 240 with Bravo 3 drive. Checked and it is the X version of the drive.
But can have the Volvo depending on the feedback on the Yanmar 240.

As far as the Yamaha could do it just that Ribcraft usually fit the Volvo or the Yanmar and so have experience with these.

Hope to make good use of it and look forward to doing some of the longer trips etc.

Gary
Old 20 May 2002, 20:01   #4

Town: Isle of Skye
Boat name: Seafari - VHF CH 71
Make: Humbers+Catamaran
Length: 6m +
Engine: Volvo/Iveco/Suzuki
Why??

Hope you had a good Ribex - but after all the thoughts and all that why did you choose the Ribcraft ? not being bad or anything, just interested to know why??

Cheers

Pete
Old 20 May 2002, 20:12   #5

Hi why the Ricbraft ?.

Well it was between the Humber Ocean Pro 7.5 and the Ribcraft 7.8, both I belive very good boats that will look after us and the family if things get bad.

The Humber was cheaper but i had concerns that the 120Hp 1.7TDI was under powered. We went for two trips in the 6.3 with the 120Hp and was quite impressed but still concerened about the 7.5. Humber didnt seam keen to fit the KAD 32 of other engine, was told they didnt have engine boxes to fit which woried us some what. We got the feeling its our standard fit is the 120HP if nothing. Even the suppliers of the 120HP though it was underpowered. The finish of the Humbers was also very poor, but I was told that they had been rushed out for the show, but I can only judge them by what they had to show us.

Ribcraft, well i have a 4.8 Ribcraft now and am very happy with it.
have heard good report from commerical operators who use them hard. The standard offering was the 170HP KAD32 DP or the 240HP Yanmar + Bravo 3 leg.

Ribcraft was far more happy to say well we can do this or that and that wont work, which we liked, where Humber seamed much more this is what we have take it or leave it. In this case it was not the boats as I belive both are very good, Humbers finish leaving a bit to be desired, but the attitude and flexibility Ribcraft swayed it.
Old 20 May 2002, 21:30   #6

Gary

Ribcraft 7.8 / 240 diesel sounds like a good package. Now I'm jealous!

Ref. Volvo's go check out the Motor Boating forum on www.ybw.com and read the various threads about Volvo engines, failures, spare part prices and customer service!

Does the Yamaha use the Bravo 3? I thought Yamaha had their own Hydradrive? Or do you mean the Yanmar 250? Not that it matters as I imagine either would be great.

Cheers,
Alan
Old 21 May 2002, 11:16   #7

Town: Poole
Gary

I have the Yanmar 300 + X leg and so far, touch wood, no problems.

You may also consider putting a "gear box" shower on the leg to keep top of the gear box cool. They can be sourced from the US ( sorry no details ).

Regards

Mark
Old 21 May 2002, 12:08   #8

Thanks everyone.

Yes Alan it is the Yanmar 240HP with the Bravo 3x leg.
Had a look at the ybw forum, quite an eye opener.
Think things are looking more a more like the Yanmar

Mark, interesting that a leg submerged in water needs extra cooling. I will have a look at these but would think they can't be much more that a water scoop, and hopefully could be home made. Worth knowing though as I would have never thought of that.

Thanks for the feedback

Gary
Old 21 May 2002, 15:09   #9
Hairdresser

Town: Peel
Boat name: Jane L
Make: Scorpion
Length: 8m +
Engine: 315 Yanmar
MMSI: 235077935
Gary,

I have a 240 Yanmar and Bravo 3 combination with 600 hours on the clock. No gearbox problems so far ........

The gearbox is not submerged when the boat is moving forward so the shower seems a sensible idea, and I have one fitted.

They are available from Dave Crawford in the UK, but not hard to make I guess.

Allen
Old 21 May 2002, 15:34   #10
RIBnet supporter

Town: Peel, IOM
RIBase
Gary,
I have the Yanmar 300 with Bravo 3 leg and I have had one of Dave Crawfords showerheads fitted. As far as I can remember both supply and fit was not gaspingly expensive.
As far as I can see, all new Scorpions are fitted with the showerhead.
Old 21 May 2002, 19:43   #11

Hi Brian

Found a US link http://www.boatsunlimitedny.com/gaffrigdrive.htm

From the pics looks like its no more than an afternoons work to make one and the bits look cheap.

Gary (planning upgrades before I have the boat) Greenwood
Old 22 May 2002, 01:17   #12

'Shower heads'

Ref to all the above, my experience (although it be in a comercial situation) the bravo 3 leg and the Yanmar 300 is to be avoided for all financially aware people.
But the cooling of the leg is a definate- the problem was that the oil, synthetic or not at £80 a gallon was simply boiling, then cooking the supposedly uprated bearings - this cooling fended off this problem.

The 3X drive is allot better and have not heard anything to bad as yet-------but the risk of having a leg go at under 200 hours is not acceptable in commercial, or pleasure use.

My view (which is well open to comment) -------Noise factor------
The Yanmar 300 is still only available with a through transom exhaust- noisey to say the least, people will really hear you coming round the corner- the exhaust through the leg is grand, quite and you can actually speak to each other.
Also- correct me if i am wrong- do you have a pilots licence for a 7.8m with poss a 300 in it ??

Cheers

Pete
Old 22 May 2002, 06:08   #13

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Pete - I'm switching my attention from the "Yamaha 240 Wanted" thread on the bits and pieces forum to this one. You seem to be on the case and have got me worried about the Yanmar 300 + Bravo 3 - even - 3x leg.

My reason for considering a switch away from the Yamaha 240 is that the overall length inside the engine box is 12.53cm longer than the Yamaha 165 and the Yamaha 240 is 17.20cm longer.

Now, I reckon I have only got a slack 15cm without cutting up the box and and a bulhead and so the fitting is going to be easier with the Yanmar. Even if I have to fill in some holes in the transome and make some new ones there.

And I gain 45hp. Magellan Alpha is a heavy beast and all the power will be useful.

Brian Elliott told me about the need for the shower head - his Bravo 3 leg failed on the RB4 - and he was upgraded to the 3X. Since then he reckons things are OK. However, I really don't want to go down a route that leads to equipment failure. I want to go for extended range cruising and reliability is vital.

Another, though smaller factor to take into account, is that there are no Yamaha dealers in Cornwall. Nearest is in the Solent. Yanmar have a reputedly good guy who would fit in my local boat yard 2 mins from home.

What would you suggest? I'd appreciate your views...
Old 22 May 2002, 08:03   #14

Noise, and other things......

Ref. Noise and Yanmar 300's. I've done a few miles on Cyanide and have never had any sense that the engine was particularly noisy. Through transom exhaust with a hyapalon elephant trunk type tube (probably a Scorpion patented thing) and no problems.
Quite a satisfying throaty rumble and of course the fantastic turbo whistle. All part of the powerboating experience IMHO!

On the drive issue, I believe that the new Scorpion monster cabin RIB with twin 300's uses Bravo 1 (single prop) drives. Presumably because these are more robust? Might be worth thinking about?

HTH,
Alan
Old 22 May 2002, 10:38   #15

Town: St Mawes
Boat name: Magellan Zulu
Make: Ribcraft
Length: 7m +
Engine: 2 x Suzuki DF150
MMSI: 235094135
Alan, Brian explained that the Bravo 1 leg does not have a contra rotating prop which is necessary for a single engine boat. To stop the twist when hitting the water after getting airborne, I believe. Reckon I need the contra rotating job witha single engine. Don't I?
Old 22 May 2002, 10:46   #16

Well yes & no!

Errm I can follow that argument BUT there are absolutely loads of boats with outdrives and single props. Not neccesarily RIBS but most speedboats/sports boats etc. Your current drive is single prop & you don't have any problems in that respect do you? Although you don't have enough power to get her airborne ! Alan P has a single prop on SOC as well, plus John K on Phoenix etc etc.

What you might need (if you don't already have 'em) are trim tabs which you can use to correct any list. (usually planing boats lean into the wind.)

I think you'd be well advised to have words with Yanmar on this one. Either that or give Jim Mackintosh a bell (I can email his number if you don't have it.) He's a pretty knowledgable chap about this type of stuff.

Alternative junk the 165 diesel, stick a couple of gill brackets on the stern and bolt on a couple of 225hp outboards!!

Cheers,
Alan
Old 22 May 2002, 11:29   #17

Town: Poole
Gary

I have had a 8.5m RIB with a YAM 240hp/Yam leg and you are correct that the boat wants to twist one way when getting up on the plane. Using tabs to offset this would then mean once on the plane the boat would lean one way until you reset the tabs.

In my experience you tend to compensate, with the wheel/helm, while throttling up and it becomes second-nature. The hydra-drive on the Yamaha is absolutely brilliant compared with the Yanmar/Bravo 3 combination which seems clunky in comparison.

Also the turbo on the Yamaha is constant so there is no lag which means you have quick throttle reactions. I towed a 40ft Cat out of the Needles race a few years ago in a breaking confused 20-30ft seas and the ability to get the power on quick was a major safety issue. I’m not sure how the Yanmar would have coped.

The Bravo III leg with the Yanmar 300hp is a superb combination. Take off and landing, assuming the boat is straight, is precise/easy with no twist on re-entry. The torque of the Yanmar once the turbo is in ( about 2250rpm with 26 inch props ) is breath taking.

So in summary both engines are very good in RIBS and each has advantages/disadvantages so which ever one you go for, you won’t be disappointed.

Personally my preference is the Yanmar/Bravo III.

If you are down Bournemouth/Poole way then I’d be pleased to take you out

Regards

Mark
Old 22 May 2002, 18:52   #18

Thanks everyone.

Looks like its going to be the Yamnar240 + Bravo 3.
Still need to confirm the setup to Ribcraft, but from your comments I am more than happy with the combination.

Now all I have to do its wait, wait & wait until I get to try things out for real.

On a slightly diferent note as the boat/engine will be brand new and be launched down south, and need to be brought up north how much running in does a new diesel need. If its lots I may consider having it brought up bay waggon.

Dont want to do 10Kts all the way up here

I hope to be able to get on some long trips with you all soon, well next year.

Thanks Gary
Old 22 May 2002, 18:53   #19

Bravo Legs

Mike

Ref your reply.

I actually do not know if the bravo 1 is beefed up enough to take the 300hp?? best ask themselves if that is possible.
As i keep spluttering on about the bravo 3 leg, I swithered and all that before i bought my volvo, and the only real choice is/was the volvo or the Yanmar 300/bravo 3 leg - I went for the volvo, and have had not problems aprt from an alternator going - 1300 hours later ( although i do have a spare leg in the shed just in case)
If i had gone for the Yanmar Bravo 3 combination, I would have not been afloat financially in my 1st year.
Taking into account this horror story is about commercial operation..
2 boats, 2 years operation 9, yes 9 legs between them
One leg did 14 hours, it got to the stage where 200 hours was the max untill the 3x leg was put on - and as yet no problems.?

Personally would'nt touch one.

Angel of Doom
Pete
Old 23 May 2002, 00:41   #20

Why Mix

Gary

Good to know you have made a choice.

Question...... you have virtually decided to go for the yanmar 240 and the mercruiser leg --- 2 different makes attached to the same thing... why not choose the same leg and engine - the 240 hp yamaha? size is the same, unsure about price, but why??

Suggestion of manufacturers maybe ? Prove me wrong......

Cheers

Pete