Old 02 October 2012, 15:29   #41

Town: yorkshire
Boat name: little vicky
Make: avon ex RNLI
Length: 3m +
Engine: tohatsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by spareribs
you wont get a sensible answer on here mate, not one that I would trust , phone up the rnli and ask them, at least its from the horses mouth. You dont know who's who on here. All you'll get is a load of mixed opinions from people who think they are all experts. This site is really an SEO operation for rib related firms. If someone on here has a 5 hp engine for sale , they will say 5hp etc. You get the picture !
Think last people I would ring up is the RNLI let's face it what do they know about aux engines except to perhaps advise that you carry one and keep it well maintained
as was said it's not a cut and dried subject ,,

the crews only get what's given its not their choice they are not paying for them & they are replaced every couple of years along with a stringent maintenance plan ,

One thing about Ribnet there is a great amount of hands on experience in all aspects out there some of it going back decades and its all food for thought ,,,
We don't all buy brand new boats /engines or dry stack down in the Solent many of us do it on a tight shoe string budget too ,
so don't knock it as we'll as the fact that a good many members of Ribnet are lifeboat Crew or work for the institution
I also know many regular contributors on the forums do not have anything to do with the marine or boat trade .
Take advise or leave it the choice is yours at the end of the day .